Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking at the compleet Super lift 4 inch kit for my 07 Overland Commander, I just got the truck and looking at what my option are cant seam to find much for lifts for them.

Anyone combine the Superlift 4 inch and the 2 inch spacer kit?????

Experiaces good or bad?
Is the angle on the CV'S OK OR WOULD IT BE TO RADICAL? and have to carry tools and new Half shafts every where I go???,

Registered
Yea...no one really makes lifts other than SL, now. Our aftermarket options are pretty slim. It's little 2" budget boost lifts or the 4" Superlift for full kits. Or you piece together a bunch of stuff, and gotta figure it out on your own....
There used to be a 6" Superlift....I don't know what happened to that option, why it was discontinued and what the difference over the 4" lift was.
The main problem with stacking the 4" and a spacer kit is that the 4" lift already uses spacers....so you'll have spacers stacked on spacers. The Superlift keeps the CVs flat, so I would think that the angle on the stacked lifts wouldn't be any different than if you had just the 2" installed. However, your rear control arms and rear driveshaft could start being concerns. Also clearance of one of the upper control arms over the gas tank.
One option would be combining the 4" SL with the Modified OME lift....you'll basically assemble taller strut towers (taller springs on taller stuts) for the front and stack that with the SL spacer. Jeeperf makes a coil-over option for the Bilstein 5100s that you can build into this to better tune the ride height of the front. Since the 5100s are already adjustable as they are, you might could just run those on a higher setting- the Modified OME build just uses the lowest 3/4" rise setting.....BUT...the rear end is gonna have it's own series of hurdles.
The Superlift uses replacement rear lower control arms and riser brackets for the upper arms and the track bar....so you'll need adjustable ones- Core 4x4 makes good arms, and there's a few different options for adjustable track bars. Also, all 4 of your sway bar end links will be too short now...I don't know of anyone that makes longer ones than what comes with the SL kit.

Ultimately you are going into rare territory and will have to piece together and figure it all out as you go. Most of the Superlift kit will have to be replaced with longer or taller stuff, so you are throwing away a lot of money buying that kit as a whole. And as you see, it's not as easy as just 'adding a spacer kit'. Most of us don't bother going that big for one reason or another and, unfortunately, the ones that have aren't around here any more to chime in....馃槥 We'll help out where we can, but otherwise....good luck! 馃槃

Reactions: JeepLivesMatter

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply
If I stick with just SL 4 INCH compleet kit will I be ok? I am curious as to why you say much of it will have to be replaced with longer components?

Registered
Yes, if you stick with just the complete 4" kit it will be okay...that's why it's a complete kit.
When you start adding to and changing the components of the kit, they stop working well together. If you try to go HIGHER than the kit is designed, like adding another 2" of spacers or height in some way, everything is out of alignment again. The problem is, you are already so far from stock height that other things start happening, like the rear driveshaft length and clearing the gas tank.

Think about it this way, once you put the complete 4" SL kit on, almost everything is back to stock, OEM geometry. NOW, try to build a 6" lift kit from scratch with OEM geometry- how many parts will you need to replace? This is why you'd have to immediately replace most of the SL parts if you are going to go HIGHER- all the rear control arms are now too short, your front upper arms are now too short, all your sway bar links are now too short.....see where I'm going with this? Yes, SOME of the SL parts will help, like the extended knuckles, front diff drop and the front lower control arm drop, possibly the spacers (though, it'd be much better and safer to do taller springs and struts at that height), but otherwise, almost everything else is too short to go higher in the same fashion that the OEM parts were too short for the SL kit.

Registered
Thanks for the reply
If I stick with just SL 4 INCH compleet kit will I be ok? I am curious as to why you say much of it will have to be replaced with longer components?
Doright,
i can add my 2cents because im having issues with tie rods snapping and sway bar links wearing out fast funky steering over bumps. all because i added Bilsteins 5100 while i had 2: spacer lift. i drove it for almost a year on 2" spacers with 0 issues i just put the Bilsteins on maybe 4 months ago and have broke 2 tie rods popped of a sway bar link, snapped 2 cv shafts all because those few inches Wombler is mentioning throws off the suspension geometry. the sway bar swings a different arc then the control that why they put links on it to compensate but once to lower or lift a vehicle you have to shorten or lengthen the links to properly compensate the arc without binding at any point.
also the added lift extends the control arm down just a little more but its near its geometry design and the knuckle is dam close to the spring seat and hits it when im climbing over stuff not good. so my plan this weekend is to add my heavy duty custom skid plating to see if the weight brings the front down if not im either removing the front spacers or cutting them down to maybe 1". dont sound like much but the way the suspension works a little goes a long way on height effect. I usually go out and play every other weekend now the shocks or creating issues but they ride so smooth

Administrator
Doright,
i can add my 2cents because im having issues with tie rods snapping and sway bar links wearing out fast funky steering over bumps. all because i added Bilsteins 5100 while i had 2: spacer lift. i drove it for almost a year on 2" spacers with 0 issues i just put the Bilsteins on maybe 4 months ago and have broke 2 tie rods popped of a sway bar link, snapped 2 cv shafts all because those few inches Wombler is mentioning throws off the suspension geometry. the sway bar swings a different arc then the control that why they put links on it to compensate but once to lower or lift a vehicle you have to shorten or lengthen the links to properly compensate the arc without binding at any point.
also the added lift extends the control arm down just a little more but its near its geometry design and the knuckle is dam close to the spring seat and hits it when im climbing over stuff not good. so my plan this weekend is to add my heavy duty custom skid plating to see if the weight brings the front down if not im either removing the front spacers or cutting them down to maybe 1". dont sound like much but the way the suspension works a little goes a long way on height effect. I usually go out and play every other weekend now the shocks or creating issues but they ride so smooth
View attachment 41245 View attachment 41244
Did you have Bilstein 5100's in the front, rear, or all the way around?

Also which version of the Bilstein 5100's?

There are a few different ones - some are adjustable & some are not.

I ran Bilstein 5100's in the rear (non-adjustable) with Bilstein B6 4600's in the front, with a 2 inch RC lift for a few years and never had a problem.

Maybe it has more to do with the way you drive....LOL.

Find a hose man....good grief.

Registered
Did you have Bilstein 5100's in the front, rear, or all the way around?

Also which version of the Bilstein 5100's?

There are a few different ones - some are adjustable & some are not.

I ran Bilstein 5100's in the rear (non-adjustable) with Bilstein B6 4600's in the front, with a 2 inch RC lift for a few years and never had a problem.

Maybe it has more to do with the way you drive....LOL.

Find a hose man....good grief.
I have the Bilstein B8 5100 Series 4 Shocks Kit front set on lowest setting should be .75
this weekend i will get back in there and see where the rear is set. but i drove on the trails for a year with stock shocks and just 2" spacer no issue then first time out on the bilsteins a tie rod snapped, and something evertime after that. so it definately putting a strain on components

Administrator
I have the Bilstein B8 5100 Series 4 Shocks Kit front set on lowest setting should be .75
this weekend i will get back in there and see where the rear is set. but i drove on the trails for a year with stock shocks and just 2" spacer no issue then first time out on the bilsteins a tie rod snapped, and something evertime after that. so it definately putting a strain on components

View attachment 41246
That's tough to say; I know alot of guys that run, & have run the Bilstein 5100's (myself included) and have had no issues.

But hey, anything is possible I guess.

Registered
That's tough to say; I know alot of guys that run, & have run the Bilstein 5100's (myself included) and have had no issues.

But hey, anything is possible I guess.
you know what i just looked at another commander passing through the parking lot and made the realization that some come from the factory already leveled with longer forks i check on yesterday and the shock fork was different so that probably why im so high up

Administrator
you know what i just looked at another commander passing through the parking lot and made the realization that some come from the factory already leveled with longer forks i check on yesterday and the shock fork was different so that probably why im so high up
That's an interesting observation @Theflyingsaucer.

Administrator
@Theflyingsaucer I can assure you that no Commanders came from the factory leveled out. They all had a rake on the front. There are lift kits that make the lift by using longer forks and I believe that is what you saw.

Reactions: Big Blue

Registered
Discussion Starter #12
I aM looking for a compleet kit, so the SL will be the way I go more than likely. Thanks for shareing your information it helps a lot.

Is the SL all compleet minus tires and rims or will I have other stuff to buy?

Administrator
Wombler answered this for you in post #4 above.

Reactions: Wombler

Registered
Buy the whole kit at once is the only advice I can add, they don't really like piecing it out lol. Pursuant to my bushing issue, im heading to the 4wp store to check other shock options. It seems odd Superlift would give me this shock, the bushings are way too wide for the shock mounts please make sure you check yours before trying to pry a mount open lol. A couple of shops I went to that frequently install lifts said this type of thing happens and they have to use a scotchbrite pad to take the bushing and sleeve down that 1/4in...id prefer not to do that lol.

Administrator
I aM looking for a compleet kit, so the SL will be the way I go more than likely. Thanks for shareing your information it helps a lot.

@Doright;

Yes it is; Here is what the 4 inch Superlift kit comes with;

Registered
Discussion Starter #16
Well the Lift may have to wait a little while Started the Truck up after cleaning my Mess in the Shop Put Battery charger on the Truck Fired right up no issues at first.
Then after a Min or so started blowing white smoke running a little ruff as well, I am gonna go out on a Limb and say its a Blown Head gasket.

This leaves me with little choice since it has 194K miles on it (full over haul), it was sold to me as having like 130-140 on it so this was a little surprise on the mileage.
I will probably do the Transmission over haul at this time as well just to keep from having problems down the road, plus the chances of only needing a over haul kit and not needing any Hard parts will keep the over haul price lower. so I guess this thread and story are over for the time being. I may start one in the engine section? .

Administrator
Well the Lift may have to wait a little while Started the Truck up after cleaning my Mess in the Shop Put Battery charger on the Truck Fired right up no issues at first.
Then after a Min or so started blowing white smoke running a little ruff as well, I am gonna go out on a Limb and say its a Blown Head gasket.

This leaves me with little choice since it has 194K miles on it (full over haul), it was sold to me as having like 130-140 on it so this was a little surprise on the mileage.
I will probably do the Transmission over haul at this time as well just to keep from having problems down the road, plus the chances of only needing a over haul kit and not needing any Hard parts will keep the over haul price lower. so I guess this thread and story are over for the time being. I may start one in the engine section? .
That's what it sounds like @Doright.

Feel free to start another thread in the Regular Service / Maintenance section detailing your work, I'd like to hear about it.

Registered

View attachment 41246
I would guess adding 3/4" was enough to start throwing everything off. The "straw that broke the camel", etc etc....are you still running stock upper control arms?
Also....what winch and mount is that you got there? I've been looking at hidden mounts, but can never find any good installed pictures!

Registered
I would guess adding 3/4" was enough to start throwing everything off. The "straw that broke the camel", etc etc....are you still running stock upper control arms?
Also....what winch and mount is that you got there? I've been looking at hidden mounts, but can never find any good installed pictures!
The winch mount is custom we just cut off what was not needed and welded some heavy duty steel to make a perch for the winch since my bumper was already kinda rough i just cut it to fit. i plan on getting a proper bumper for it because i find myself having to climb some hills my bumper drags on approach and so does the rear.
and im running JBA control arms. i think im ok for height im at 22 inches center hub to fender distance. nothing seems bound up but the tie rods do seem to be at a good angle

Registered
The winch mount is custom we just cut off what was not needed and welded some heavy duty steel to make a perch for the winch since my bumper was already kinda rough i just cut it to fit. i plan on getting a proper bumper for it because i find myself having to climb some hills my bumper drags on approach and so does the rear.
and im running JBA control arms. i think im ok for height im at 22 inches center hub to fender distance. nothing seems bound up but the tie rods do seem to be at a good angle
Ah...I like how the mount turned out! I think on other hidden mounts it's hard to get to the free spool switch; it's either burried or the winch has to mount upside down, so yours' seems like a nice compromise. What winch are you using and where'd you mount the control box?
22in with the JBA arms sounds perfect, that's the same numbers I have, and I'm also using the same 5100s on the lowest setting. But, I have the OME HD springs instead of spacers. Not sure why you'd be snapping tie rods unless you were doing some pretty extreme stuff, or it was coincidental timing on parts that were wearing out? I also haven't had any issues with the CVs, YET. I rebuilt one because I tore up the boots before I had the lift, but I am always keeping an eye and ear on both axles...almost 10,000mi lifted and no problems yet.
I went with extended links on the rear fairly quickly because of how bad that sway bar angle looked, I KNEW there was gonna be problems if i didn't. The front doesn't seem bad enough to me with how the sway bar is already shaped....haven't had any problems yet, but I replaced with new links and bushings just to "reset" my risk timer, lol...and I haven't found a good source for extended front links. The only option i know of is adjustable quick disconnects for, i think, a JK...but the pins that go in the lower control arm have been known to break...so i wouldn't be much better off. Will probably have to fab up my own, i suppose....:rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts