Jeep Commander Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Ah...I like how the mount turned out! I think on other hidden mounts it's hard to get to the free spool switch; it's either burried or the winch has to mount upside down, so yours' seems like a nice compromise. What winch are you using and where'd you mount the control box?
22in with the JBA arms sounds perfect, that's the same numbers I have, and I'm also using the same 5100s on the lowest setting. But, I have the OME HD springs instead of spacers. Not sure why you'd be snapping tie rods unless you were doing some pretty extreme stuff, or it was coincidental timing on parts that were wearing out? I also haven't had any issues with the CVs, YET. I rebuilt one because I tore up the boots before I had the lift, but I am always keeping an eye and ear on both axles...almost 10,000mi lifted and no problems yet.
I went with extended links on the rear fairly quickly because of how bad that sway bar angle looked, I KNEW there was gonna be problems if i didn't. The front doesn't seem bad enough to me with how the sway bar is already shaped....haven't had any problems yet, but I replaced with new links and bushings just to "reset" my risk timer, lol...and I haven't found a good source for extended front links. The only option i know of is adjustable quick disconnects for, i think, a JK...but the pins that go in the lower control arm have been known to break...so i wouldn't be much better off. Will probably have to fab up my own, i suppose....:rolleyes:
its harbor freight winch amzingly it has performed above an beyond expectations. i did have to remove the spring loaded rollers that i guess help keep the cable tight. dont think its a big deal. yeah the spool switch is like an 1/8" or less for clerance of the grill. i got my jeep instead of buying a polaris razor and it has served me well and made some near impossible climbs so it possible those 180k tie rods were ready to go lol. now just have some creaks and pops that wasnt there until i added the jba uca and the 5100 only reason i wonder if i should remove the spacers to see what happens

·
Registered
212 Posts
its harbor freight winch amzingly it has performed above an beyond expectations. i did have to remove the spring loaded rollers that i guess help keep the cable tight. dont think its a big deal. yeah the spool switch is like an 1/8" or less for clerance of the grill. i got my jeep instead of buying a polaris razor and it has served me well and made some near impossible climbs so it possible those 180k tie rods were ready to go lol. now just have some creaks and pops that wasnt there until i added the jba uca and the 5100 only reason i wonder if i should remove the spacers to see what happens
haaa...i THOUGHT that looked like the HF Apex....I've been lookin' at that one vs a Warn VR Evo...Warn obviously has the better warranty, but otherwise they are both made in china and have almost the same specs throughout....those HF winches have tons of great reviews for when they are new, my only concern is how good are they 2, 3, 5 years later after getting wet, muddy, etc.....but at $450 with their big coupons, that's almost 1/2 the cost of the Warn...I suppose you can just buy another, but that doesn't get you off the trail if you're already stuck....:( For my use and needs, I can't justify spending $1200+ on a better winch where these wouldn't be concerns...

I got a LOT of creaks and pops after installing all my lift components. Most of the noise was from the struts, actually, for 2 different reasons. First, the hole in the engine bay where the top of the strut pokes through was no longer big enough for the amount of flex the longer components needed so the bolt was rubbing on the body making all sorts of noises. 2nd, that same bolt needed re-torquing....so opening up (cutting out) those holes to access the nut on the top of the strut allowed both situations to be fixed. I also had a really noisy bushing on a lower control arm, the driver's front one, that took me FOREVER to track down- ended up having to loosen it up from the frame and pack some extra grease in there....otherwise, all the other noises just went away as everything settled in, lol

·
Registered
212 Posts
I just ran across CB Engineering that makes some really nice suspension upgrade parts for our jeeps that I didn't know existed....like rear long arm and 3-link kits!
They also make a Heim steering tie rod upgrade....made me think of you since yours' are shot. They are proud of them, but they look pretty damn beefy....

·
Registered
13 Posts
haaa...i THOUGHT that looked like the HF Apex....I've been lookin' at that one vs a Warn VR Evo...Warn obviously has the better warranty, but otherwise they are both made in china and have almost the same specs throughout....those HF winches have tons of great reviews for when they are new, my only concern is how good are they 2, 3, 5 years later after getting wet, muddy, etc.....but at $450 with their big coupons, that's almost 1/2 the cost of the Warn...I suppose you can just buy another, but that doesn't get you off the trail if you're already stuck....:( For my use and needs, I can't justify spending $1200+ on a better winch where these wouldn't be concerns...

I got a LOT of creaks and pops after installing all my lift components. Most of the noise was from the struts, actually, for 2 different reasons. First, the hole in the engine bay where the top of the strut pokes through was no longer big enough for the amount of flex the longer components needed so the bolt was rubbing on the body making all sorts of noises. 2nd, that same bolt needed re-torquing....so opening up (cutting out) those holes to access the nut on the top of the strut allowed both situations to be fixed. I also had a really noisy bushing on a lower control arm, the driver's front one, that took me FOREVER to track down- ended up having to loosen it up from the frame and pack some extra grease in there....otherwise, all the other noises just went away as everything settled in, lol
thanks for the update i do go out and found one of the bolts on my spacer kit just popped lose from the weld so i probably need to upgrade to the RRO lift kit or reweld the bolts heads back on. i will track them down one by one thats my summers mission lol.

·
Administrator
6,446 Posts
I just ran across CB Engineering that makes some really nice suspension upgrade parts for our jeeps that I didn't know existed....like rear long arm and 3-link kits!
They also make a Heim steering tie rod upgrade....made me think of you since yours' are shot. They are proud of them, but they look pretty damn beefy....
For anybody considering CB Engineering, you might want to read this before you pull the trigger; I don't expect everybody to agree with me, but, just thought I'd share my experience.

·
Registered
212 Posts
For anybody considering CB Engineering, you might want to read this before you pull the trigger;

oh man....good call....i vaguely remembered CB being mentioned here in the past, but couldn't remember how or why....
That really figures, I like a lot of the options they have as options for us. Opens up doors for "proper" 6-8" lifts built off the SL parts.......I've dealt with more companies than i'd like that provide little to no communication and it has always really bugged me. But, the parts always ended up at my door before I had a need to be concerned....

·
Administrator
6,446 Posts
oh man....good call....i vaguely remembered CB being mentioned here in the past, but couldn't remember how or why....
That really figures, I like a lot of the options they have as options for us. Opens up doors for "proper" 6-8" lifts built off the SL parts.......I've dealt with more companies than i'd like that provide little to no communication and it has always really bugged me. But, the parts always ended up at my door before I had a need to be concerned....
I hear you, but waiting a month for something that was listed as "In Stock" and getting nothing left a really bad taste in my mouth.

If having something powder-coated, is going to delay an order by 3 weeks or more, they should tell you that up-front - or at the very least reach out to the customer and communicate that to them - without the customer having to constantly chase you down, trying to get answers week after week.

It wasn't even the wait that bugged me so much, it was the fact that there was absolutely ZERO communication from Christian at CB Engineering during this entire ordeal - unless I initiated it.

No matter how nice their parts seem to be, I'd never consider doing business with them again, for that reason.

That being said, I don't expect everybody to agree with me - and that's fine, for those who choose to roll the dice with them.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Yea....I get "made-to-order" parts needing time, even powder-coating if they are backed up and have a small operation, BUT LET ME KNOW...I've also had stuff listed as In Stock when I ordered from someone....but I was notified soon after that they are actually back-ordered or whatever the issue might be.....
Being left in the dark, like you were, really sucks.

I had about the same experience trying to get a Harmonic Balancer Crank bolt for my 5.7 a year or so ago. You'd think that'd be a no-fills order...I just wanted an OEM replacement. Nothing custom. Nothing aftermarket or fancy. I ordered it from, what I thought to be, a very reputable Hemi Performance Shop. Hell, maybe they are if you're ordering a Hellcat engine, supercharger, or some big-money, custom part? It was claimed in stock and wasn't going to charge me triple the cost of the bolt for shipping ...after a few weeks of no shipping info, I started emailing. No replies, so I started calling. "yea, we got your order, sorry it's taking so long, let me personally run out to the shop and get that sent out today!" A week later, still nothing. Call again, "yea, sorry man, turns out we don't have one here. I've got a 'lightly used' one laying here I can send you though!" .....wow. thanks guys. I already had a lightly used one from when I took my engine apart....i wanted, and paid for, a NEW one, and now this bolt is the only thing holding me back from progressing on my rebuild.....needless to say, i canceled my order with them and had to find another source. (the Jeep dealership in my town had just closed permanently, so that wasn't an option).

So annoying to have wasted our time.....:mad:
Fortunately I have no current need for the awesome looking parts CB claims to have. That rear 3-link long arm set up looks so nice :love:.....hopefully they've gotten better since your experience....But, I won't be one to try.
Since Covid has all but ended my career, maybe I'll finally buy a welder and start making parts for our XKs as a hobby since we are slowly losing what few vendors we had, haha

·
Administrator
6,446 Posts
Yea....I get "made-to-order" parts needing time, even powder-coating if they are backed up and have a small operation, BUT LET ME KNOW...I've also had stuff listed as In Stock when I ordered from someone....but I was notified soon after that they are actually back-ordered or whatever the issue might be.....
Being left in the dark, like you were, really sucks.

I had about the same experience trying to get a Harmonic Balancer Crank bolt for my 5.7 a year or so ago. You'd think that'd be a no-fills order...I just wanted an OEM replacement. Nothing custom. Nothing aftermarket or fancy. I ordered it from, what I thought to be, a very reputable Hemi Performance Shop. Hell, maybe they are if you're ordering a Hellcat engine, supercharger, or some big-money, custom part? It was claimed in stock and wasn't going to charge me triple the cost of the bolt for shipping ...after a few weeks of no shipping info, I started emailing. No replies, so I started calling. "yea, we got your order, sorry it's taking so long, let me personally run out to the shop and get that sent out today!" A week later, still nothing. Call again, "yea, sorry man, turns out we don't have one here. I've got a 'lightly used' one laying here I can send you though!" .....wow. thanks guys. I already had a lightly used one from when I took my engine apart....i wanted, and paid for, a NEW one, and now this bolt is the only thing holding me back from progressing on my rebuild.....needless to say, i canceled my order with them and had to find another source. (the Jeep dealership in my town had just closed permanently, so that wasn't an option).

So annoying to have wasted our time.....:mad:
Fortunately I have no current need for the awesome looking parts CB claims to have. That rear 3-link long arm set up looks so nice :love:.....hopefully they've gotten better since your experience....But, I won't be one to try.
Since Covid has all but ended my career, maybe I'll finally buy a welder and start making parts for our XKs as a hobby since we are slowly losing what few vendors we had, haha
I'd be your first customer @Wombler.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts