Jeep Commander Forum banner

141 - 160 of 200 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
ha...yea, i hear ya. well...good luck! Obviously, let us know what you find!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #143
No sponsorship or discounts, blah. Well I have Front Range Driveline down the street building a double cardan for me. This is the last of my own installs or Jeep Maintenance for about a year or so as my wife has pushed me into an apartment and sadly in Denver CO thats all we can afford right now with 4 bedroom houses going for almost $3k a month. Will update yall after its in hopefully Thursday night.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #144
Well shes not fully bolted in yet...goofballs had me get hex head bolts and while they look awesome they are not ideal and I dont have much in the way of torqueing them down tight. An Allen wrench won't do.

·
Administrator
6,472 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Well shes not fully bolted in yet...goofballs had me get hex head bolts and while they look awesome they are not ideal and I dont have much in the way of torqueing them down tight. An Allen wrench won't do.
Slide a long box end wrench over your Allen wrench for extra torque. + Locktite

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #147
Thanks Blue! I picked up about an 8 or 10" T-handle ball point 6mm. Worked soooooo awesome lol. I used blue loctite on all 12 of them as they had mini heads in an m8-1.25 but not am m8-1.0 :(. See how she rides tomorrow.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #148
That solved a lot of the vibrations, but not that sound over 50mph coasting. Might have a rear wheel hub going bad causing the rest of the vibrations and weird growling noise. Mother puss buckets she's going to be practically brand new after all this. JEEP

·
Administrator
6,472 Posts
That solved a lot of the vibrations, but not that sound over 50mph coasting. Might have a rear wheel hub going bad causing the rest of the vibrations and weird growling noise. Mother puss buckets she's going to be practically brand new after all this. JEEP
Just Empty Every Pocket.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Sounds about right, lol.....These beasts are only getting older :(
Mine went BACK to the dealership yesterday for transmission electrical issues that I can't do anything about myself since it's all computers, nor can any other repair or tranny shop. Only the dealership with their Starscan can troubleshoot this crap. I'm already $2k into this tranny problem 😫 and I'm pretty sure now it's due to old wiring messing with the voltages on the CAN bus....

·
Administrator
6,472 Posts
Sounds about right, lol.....These beasts are only getting older :(
Mine went BACK to the dealership yesterday for transmission electrical issues that I can't do anything about myself since it's all computers, nor can any other repair or tranny shop. Only the dealership with their Starscan can troubleshoot this crap. I'm already $2k into this tranny problem 😫 and I'm pretty sure now it's due to old wiring messing with the voltages on the CAN bus....
Oh brother, sorry to hear that.

Unfortunately, there are times when you have no other choice but to throw in the towel and go to the dealership.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Oh brother, sorry to hear that.

Unfortunately, there are times when you have no other choice but to throw in the towel and go to the dealership.
Yup....as I get older I'm learning to choose my battles, lol.... as much as I HATE just "throwing money at a problem until it's fixed", I also just want it to work and not worry about it being done right or not and how long the "fix" might last.

·
Administrator
6,472 Posts
Yup....as I get older I'm learning to choose my battles, lol.... as much as I HATE just "throwing money at a problem until it's fixed", I also just want it to work and not worry about it being done right or not and how long the "fix" might last.
My friend, you and I are definitely on the same page; I'm 51 and with all the traveling I'm forced to do, time is definitely a luxury I don't have. And when I am home, I have to try & balance my time with family, household projects, yardwork & XK projects.

I know what I'm capable of and if it's in my wheelhouse, I have no problem getting my hands dirty.

However if it's something that's outside of my knowledge base - or requires tools & equipment I know I don't have, I'll bite the bullet and take it to a reputable shop or dealership.

More often than not, it saves you time & money over the long haul.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #154
Damn electrical issues are the WORST. I wouldnt have $2k to throw around. Lol the suspension and driveshaft drained me soooo bad.

The more i research the more it sounds like a pinion bearing idk, going to keep going at diag. Its stupid I literally asked the shop to give everything a test and lookover to make sure we got it what it needed. I shouldnt have used them at all. Besides the basic stuff they refused to touch anything related to suspension or driveline because of my lift. They said the driveline felt in a bind but didn't do anything besides recommend a "proper" lift. They told me to drop my transmission and transfer case and a bunch of other stuff. I kind of wanted to tell them to shove it, but realized they ONLY want to deal with 100% factory specced vehicles. Theres one mechanic i know that's great here, my old boss uses him a ton and he didn't do me wrong the two times I had to go to him, so I guess heres to another visit.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Damn electrical issues are the WORST. I wouldnt have $2k to throw around. Lol the suspension and driveshaft drained me soooo bad.

The more i research the more it sounds like a pinion bearing idk, going to keep going at diag. Its stupid I literally asked the shop to give everything a test and lookover to make sure we got it what it needed. I shouldnt have used them at all. Besides the basic stuff they refused to touch anything related to suspension or driveline because of my lift. They said the driveline felt in a bind but didn't do anything besides recommend a "proper" lift. They told me to drop my transmission and transfer case and a bunch of other stuff. I kind of wanted to tell them to shove it, but realized they ONLY want to deal with 100% factory specced vehicles. Theres one mechanic i know that's great here, my old boss uses him a ton and he didn't do me wrong the two times I had to go to him, so I guess heres to another visit.
Electrical issues usually don't bother me, as long as it's normal 12v circuits, i kinda like decifering wiring diagrams, lol. They are still annoying, but I can usually figure them out fairly quickly...BUT as soon as you get complicated data bus lines like our CAN bus system, i'm out. All i can do is continuity checks and there's sooooo many wires with voltage and resistance changes as they go through various circuits. I'm just noping myself straight to the dealership, already feeling the wallet get lighter....$2k was not easy to cough up, but the tranny went full "limp-mode", 3rd gear ONLY, a week before we were supposed to drive across the country from CA to AL for our move. My hands were tied, and i didn't have a house, garage or any of my tools anymore because of the move. Fortunately we keep a good savings account for emergencies like this, but $2k would have been much better spent elsewhere, lol.

Axle noises are always fun to chase (sarcasm)....my last 2 XJs had different variations of noises. If I remember right, a constant growl or similar noise means wheel bearings, whereas a noise only on deceleration or acceleration means either pinion or carrier bearings. Fortunately, all solid axle noises are the same as far as troubleshooting goes, and there's plenty of info out there to help narrow it down. Doesn't make the repair any less painful, or annoying that you have to.....and no thanks to an unhelpful shop...

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #156
Hit or miss with electrical, I get severe on savings and try to work on anything possible myself, even if its a huge learning curve lol. It's just weird that it's LITERALLY only at over 50mph, as soon as it hits 49mph the noise completely goes away every single time.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #157
I think i found the issue as the pinion bearing and rear driveshaft checked out...the shock bushings have a ton of movement, would definitely be noticeable road noise coasting and they would be allowing movement. Also explains why it's soooo consistent. I cant figure out how to upload a video.

But why would the bushing have so much play, im thinking i might airgun it hoping to pinch them in?

They are 70ftlb tight as the install called for, the issue is these aren't the normal bushings installed and they aren't the bushings or shocks the install was written for! Superlift changed their shocks lol.

What do yall think about impacting it a little more? I also put a washer between the frame and the bolt there, should I take that off?

·
Registered
212 Posts
YAY....that's a much cheaper and easier thing to fix than anything on the driveline, lol...also knowing that it isn't anything threatening to fail, just squeaky and annoying is always a relief.

It looks like the washer is between the bolt head and the body, not acting as a spacer inside with the bushing?
What is the purpose of the washer? It's not there stock. I know you need to add some spacers with the bushing when doing the f-150 shocks since they are thinner, but having it outside isn't doing any good.
I don't see any reason to "over-torque", that's where you can start messing things up. I remember you needing to open the space back up because spacers weren't used for your previous shocks, maybe you opened too much?
Also, I'd take the bolt out and check the difference in diameter of the metal spacer in the bushing vs the size of the bolt. If that bushing is too large, it could shake around the bolt. There shouldn't be much play between the two.

Worst case....just pack a bunch of grease in there, lol

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #159
Bushing sleeve is extremely close to the perfect size measuring up against the old eyelets and the bolt. The issue is the bushing itself is in there, but the eyelet on the shock moves all around, like the bushing isn't in there right, what the hell man. Why can't anyone just make a straight fit item.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Not sure i'm following you exactly.....sounds like the rubber bushing is loose in the shock eye? So the shock bounces around on the rubber bushing? But the bushing itself and the metal sleeve are all tight to the body and don't move?

141 - 160 of 200 Posts