Jeep Commander Forum banner

161 - 180 of 200 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #161
For the washer, I put it there to help with that frame spot, but if its hindering it ill remove it, that coule be part of the problem?

There's no spacer washer needed inside, I custom trimmed these to fit so they fit lol. Trimmed and test fit and then trimmed and test fit until they slid in.

I put the mount really close to where it should have been, also had no issues with the bolt going in and I used a ratchet not an impact.

If you think its worth yanking out the washer ill give it a go.?

·
Registered
212 Posts
oof....that's interesting....and that could cause issues down the road.

My first thoughts go to where you cut the bushings down....the metal sleeve being too long kinda messes with this thought, but having extra rubber there would have made sense, to a point. It would have been hard to cram in the space (lots of grease!) but once you torque everything down, that extra rubber would have expanded to fill the gap you have now. But....now the extra rubber isn't there. Doesn't help that the space in the body where all this bolts up was already "crushed" on yours making this hard enough to figure out/deal with.....

I still find it so odd that SuperLift would sell you shocks that technically didn't fit, and tell you that you have to cut them down....

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #164
The spacer is th
e same size as the rubber.

Definitely too much rubber to stick in there. Also the factory size mount barely squeezed in as I made sure to test that going in before finalizing putting in these ones. I think the washer might be part of it, ima take it off and see what happens, I mean thats only preventing the bolt from going in that 1/8of an inch or so and that's pretty close to the amount of play.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #165
Ok so a huge part of the problem was the nut housing inside of the mount, the bushing fit over it and got stuck. Therefore pushing the sleeve into the bolt entry hole. So thats the issue. Fixed the passenger side just fine, driver side is giving me issues. Fix was to grind out more of the sleeve as you said Wombler and then I put a washer on the side where the bushing was fitting over the nut and torqued her down to the 70ftlb spec and she was nice a snug no more movement. Why in the holy hell would they make someone go through all this:(.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #166
Ok both fixed man what a pain in the rear end. If I didn't hate the bilsteins I had on there so much I would have gave them another go. Between those and these Superlift shocks there is a HUGE ride difference to me, I just wish Rancho made a universal like Bilstein

·
Registered
212 Posts
Gotta love stupid things like this, lol.....at least you got it figured out and fixed!
What's do wrong with the Bilsteins? i've got them up front and love how they ride with the OME HD springs...
The rear shocks usually are f-150s for any other brand since there isn't an exact replacement fix for us after a lift. Like that's the Monroe Load-Adjust version a lot of us are running...was there not a Rancho rear f-150 option?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #168
They didn't have a rancho option for me. The bilsteins idk I had two front struts blow up in my face doing ballpoint maintenance and they were clunky, my rear 5100s were clunky, and when I got 5125s they were even more clunky. Last time I spoke to get 4wp guy he said the prior reps were ordering the wrong length by about 3 inches which is why it was clunking. So I decided to go with what Superlift put in there lol. Its so nice and smooth.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #169
Welp the shocks weren't the issue and two shops later I just get the "its not a factory suspension" bs so they want me to take it to some other shop. What a crock lol.

·
Administrator
6,472 Posts
Welp the shocks weren't the issue and two shops later I just get the "its not a factory suspension" bs so they want me to take it to some other shop. What a crock lol.
That sucks; Reading about your endeavors @Hawkeyes has helped me identify a deficiency of my own, thanks to you and @Wombler;

Fortunately, It's a very minor issue having no effect, whatsoever, on my XK right now and I can address it at my convenience.

What your going through sounds very frustrating to me - and I'm not the most patient guy in the world, as it is.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #171
A boss of mine literally bought a 2019 Jeep Wrangler with every add on humanly possible, had it custom built at a customs shop and wrapped it all into financing. I can agree to everyone having limits, but jeeps like that aren't meant to be done like that in my opinion lol. No pain no gain! but being the first mechanical thing I've ever wrenched on, I want to be able to know what I'm doing, especially for my kids at some point in their future with owning cars.

·
Administrator
6,472 Posts
A boss of mine literally bought a 2019 Jeep Wrangler with every add on humanly possible, had it custom built at a customs shop and wrapped it all into financing. I can agree to everyone having limits, but jeeps like that aren't meant to be done like that in my opinion lol. No pain no gain! but being the first mechanical thing I've ever wrenched on, I want to be able to know what I'm doing, especially for my kids at some point in their future with owning cars.
If you're planning on passing your XK on to your kids, or if you just want to pass your knowledge onto them, that's a good strategy.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #173
I want the general knowledge and then yes my son turns 16 in 5 years, the plan originally to give this to him (if im done with it by then!) LOL.

·
Administrator
6,472 Posts
I want the general knowledge and then yes my son turns 16 in 5 years, the plan originally to give this to him (if im done with it by then!) LOL.
My son is turning 16 this September......I don't think he'll ever work on his own cars at all.....LOL.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #175
I dont think mine will lol. But we will see! It took me until about 30 to figure it was OK to get dirty working on em!

·
Administrator
6,472 Posts
I dont think mine will lol. But we will see! It took me until about 30 to figure it was OK to get dirty working on em!
I hear you @Hawkeyes;

I'm pretty good with cosmetic modifications & body stuff; I've changed starters, batteries, oil & transmission fluid/filters and I'm decent with electronic & electrical stuff;

I've posted enough "How-to" threads on this forum, that obviously, I'm not afraid to get my hands dirty - but I'm far from a mechanic & I know my limitations.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #177
Oh i won't touch anyone else car lol. I hate when they ask me to, even simple things like brakes.
So like I did my first brake changes didn't even know to lube the slide pin, learned that when my caliper froze on me lol. Fudge there's so much to learn which is why I'm doing everything I can now to in turn help my 4 kids when they get a car .

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #178
Welp, had a buddy drive and listen to it along the freeway, we checked the pinion but and its fine, completely yanked the rear driveshaft off again and gave those ujoints an really good look over and found no issues. Its definitely rear and driveline related and possibly coming from the passenger side so we think its a wheel hub. Guess at 150k those originals may be bad as the front ones went some time ago:). Ill get them ordered, but now I noticed the damn power steering pump is whining. For the love of Chris Farley someone yell at this thing lol.

·
Administrator
6,472 Posts
Welp, had a buddy drive and listen to it along the freeway, we checked the pinion but and its fine, completely yanked the rear driveshaft off again and gave those ujoints an really good look over and found no issues. Its definitely rear and driveline related and possibly coming from the passenger side so we think its a wheel hub. Guess at 150k those originals may be bad as the front ones went some time ago:). Ill get them ordered, but now I noticed the damn power steering pump is whining. For the love of Chris Farley someone yell at this thing lol.
And the hits just keep on coming......

161 - 180 of 200 Posts