Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just bought a 2008 Jeep Commander with the 5.7 HEMI, and Quada-Drive II.

I was just ready to pull the trigger on buying a 4" Superlift kit for it, when Superlift mentioned that almost half of the people who install these on "all wheel drive" Commandos experience a vibration when driving. They did not specify at what speed or anything, just that they suspect it's from the front drive shaft.

I'm new to off road vehicles, so forgive my ignorance here...

So I've read on this forum that Quada-Drive II is the best Commando four wheel drive system. It is however, an "all wheel drive" system, right?

That said, is there an issue I should be concerned about before moving forward with the 4" Superlift kit? Has anyone else experienced this issue with QDII and a superlift kit? Is the problem and rememdy known by those in this forum?

One thought would be if there is a way to turn off the AWD function of the QDII when just road driving. Is that possible?

Now I'm nervous about buying a 4" Superlift kit. Any advice would be appreciated? I couldn't find any threads on hear directly discussing vibration issues for QDII with a 4" Superlift kit. Please help.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Welcome to the forum Commando, I can't help you with your lift problem, but can tell you that there is no way to disable the all the time 4wd on the QDII.

·
Registered
60 Posts
So I just bought a 2008 Jeep Commander with the 5.7 HEMI, and Quada-Drive II.

I was just ready to pull the trigger on buying a 4" Superlift kit for it, when Superlift mentioned that almost half of the people who install these on "all wheel drive" Commandos experience a vibration when driving. They did not specify at what speed or anything, just that they suspect it's from the front drive shaft.

I'm new to off road vehicles, so forgive my ignorance here...

So I've read on this forum that Quada-Drive II is the best Commando four wheel drive system. It is however, an "all wheel drive" system, right?

That said, is there an issue I should be concerned about before moving forward with the 4" Superlift kit? Has anyone else experienced this issue with QDII and a superlift kit? Is the problem and rememdy known by those in this forum?

One thought would be if there is a way to turn off the AWD function of the QDII when just road driving. Is that possible?

Now I'm nervous about buying a 4" Superlift kit. Any advice would be appreciated? I couldn't find any threads on hear directly discussing vibration issues for QDII with a 4" Superlift kit. Please help.
My Commando has the QD-II and SL 4" and I can tell you that there is a certain vibration, kind of a harmonic at 30-35 mph that you can feel in the steering wheel and also creates kind of a buzz in the dashboard. On my Jeep this may be more tire related though, as a recent rotation seemed to enhance the vibration.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hey do any of you guys know a place to get a good price on the Superlift 4" now? Im finding ebay and Amazon at pretty much the same price but then I browse Craigslist there are some local ads, here in Cali showing around the $1899 mark. Mine is an 07' Hemi with the QDII. Just thought i'd throw it out there since im just about ready.... Thanks in advance!

·
Super Moderator
5,796 Posts
Just to clarify, all wheel drive systems are generally categorized as systems where all 4 wheels are engaged all the time, typically without any additional 4WD capabilities.

The closest thing a Jeep Commander has to all wheel drive would be the Quadra-Trac I 4WD system - but even Quadra-Trac I has the additional enhanced capabilities of 4 wheel traction control and electronic stability control, which in my view, makes it more capable then just a normal "all wheel drive" system.

Once you step up to Quadra-Trac II and Quadra-Drive II, you now have a 2 speed transfer case at your disposal which gives you the ability to drop down into 4-LOW and this is the distinction between an "All Wheel Drive" System and a LEGIT 4WD system in the realm of today's technology. Both Quadra-Trac II and Quadra-Drive II use the same NV245 transfer case.

Then Quadra-Drive II gives you the additional capability of an electronic limited slip differential which is as good as it gets in the Jeep Commander world.

Rear end gearing is also a factor.

4WD Commanders that are Trail-Rated will have 3.73 gears in the rear end for maximum low-end torque.

I have Quadra-Trac II with 3.73 gears and even without the electronic limited slip differential, I'm here to tell you that when I drop into 4-LOW, it feels like there isn't anywhere I can't go.

My XK is a Big Blue Tank.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts