Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well after going wheeling this last weekend in Uwharrie NC on some pretty tough trails, I think I am going to go ahead and install the 4" superlift.
The commander did awesome on the second most difficult trail they had but it took some spotting and lots of tense moments to get through it. I apologize for no pics. I had my 2.5 yr old and my 6 yr old with me and it was tough going with the trail and kids commanding my attention.

The lift made the difference in being able to go through some serious sections of the trail with little worry of hitting something. Rock rails would have been nice. The cool part was everyone was checking out the JC. Even the big lifted TJ's and YJ's. They could not believe the thing was going where they were going and keeping up to boot. All in the comfort of AC and no dust on a 87 degree day.

Post pics when it is done,

Bob

·
Registered
396 Posts
Sounds great Bob. Looking forward to the pictures. I ordered my REVO's today, so I will have them for this weekend, at Big Bear.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sycohemi,
Have fun at Big Bear. Take pictures! I was sorry I didn't. As it would have been nice to show what the commander can do on some serious off road trails.

Bob

·
Registered
396 Posts
Bob - you get the Commander Father of the Year award for taking two little ones offroading with you on a challenging trip. I'm sure you had your hands full, so I completely understand why you couldn't take pics.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Got 3 rather large packages from superlift today. The lift has more stuff than I thought and had to weight close to 275lbs total. Dropped all the parts off at the local 4 wheel drive shop (We Do Trucks in Raleigh) and will drop the JC off Thursday to have it all installed. Should be ready by Friday or Sat at the latest. Pics to follow after I pick it up.

Bob

·
Registered
396 Posts
Looking forward to seeing the new lift and hearing the details!

I took some pics, and have posted them somewhere on this forum. See the "Wheels and Tires are on" thread for a bunch of pics. I didn't want to re-post them here since it has nothing to do with the Superlift.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b237/SYCOHEMI/IMG_1069.jpg

·
Registered
31 Posts
How much was the Superlift and whats the cost in labor, if you dont mind me asking???

Cant wait to see the pics!

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
I am glad that people are taking their Commanders off-road. It will shut up all the naysayers who say today's SUV owners don't take their vehicles off-road and will shut up all the naysayers who think the Commander isn't off-road capable.

Personally, my Cherokee is reserved for the off-road abuse.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Kelli said:
How much was the Superlift and whats the cost in labor, if you dont mind me asking???

Cant wait to see the pics!
Cost vary between $1700-2000 for the lift. Labor is going to run around $650 at a typical shop.

The lift is going in now and will be done on Monday. Pics to come.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Good luck with the Superlift Bob. I can't wait to see it.

I'm pretty happy with my RR kit...But, I can always be tempted...

Yeah Rubicontrail, I agree with you. I used to take my wife's Cayenne S off road many times. People thought I was crazy, but then they saw what the vehicle can do. Having driven both now, I am much more confident with the Commander.

And, it's so much fun to take the SUV's off road. That's what they are built to do, and that's what you are paying a premium for, so you might as well enjoy it. I try to get any of my friends that have 4WD SUV's to go out with us, at least once, just to experience it. We don't do any hard core stuff, but have a great time. It's kind of like the sports car people that don't track their cars. What a waste. If you have it, you should see what it can do, that's my motto. Try it at least once.

I never really thought I would take the Cayenne offroad myself, I come from street motorcycles and cars, and tracking on road courses, so this is all a few years new to me. But I am loving it. Great forum too. People here are really helping out with the info and experiences.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts