Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, All! I am new to this forum. I just bought a 2006 Jeep Commander Limited 5.7L Hemi. I absolutely love it. Well taken care of. I plan on putting the lift in myself. I’ve done it on my old ZJ, a “Cannibal Lift”. It’s seems that a spacer lift is the way to go if you want to go if you want to do it on a budget. I have three questions:

1) has anyone ever used the Front Clevis fork lift? Are they any better or worse?

2) Does having a 3.5” lift on the front pose any threat on the angle on my stock CV axle shafts?

3) I know that a 3” lift will accommodate a 31” tire with some trimming. But can I stuff a 33” tire under a 3.5” lift with 1.5” wheel spacers?

I don’t mind trimming, and I also plan on fabricating front a rear bumpers which will give me room on the front end of the front wheel wells. And perhaps room on the back end or the rear wheel wells. But I don’t want to do so much trimming where I am having cut into the floor of the cab.

Thoughts?

link:

·
Administrator
15,502 Posts
@GeorgeVBW Welcome to the forum!

1) has anyone ever used the Front Clevis fork lift? Are they any better or worse?
I don't know if the clevis lift is any better or worse, only a few members have used them. The majority go with a 2" - 2 1/2" spacer lift.
2) Does having a 3.5” lift on the front pose any threat on the angle on my stock CV axle shafts?
Yes, anything over 2 1/2 inches puts angles on your cv axles and drive shaft that are too far out of spec and will eventually cause failure. You can always use a diff drop bracket to correct the angles.
3) I know that a 3” lift will accommodate a 31” tire with some trimming. But can I stuff a 33” tire under a 3.5” lift with 1.5” wheel spacers?
See this thread--->New Here? Read this Thread for FAQ's on Tires, Lifts and Spacers!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@GeorgeVBW Welcome to the forum!

I don't know if the clevis lift is any better or worse, only a few members have used them. The majority go with a 2" - 2 1/2" spacer lift.

Yes, anything over 2 1/2 inches puts angles on your cv axles and drive shaft that are too far out of spec and will eventually cause failure. You can always use a diff drop bracket to correct the angles.

See this thread--->New Here? Read this Thread for FAQ's on Tires, Lifts and Spacers!

Thanks! I hope everyone on this forum is as helpful as you. And the link you posted on this thread I have seen before, but it is always super helpful. Is there any company that sells the differential drop brackets By them selves? Or is it only included in the superlift 4”. It looks like a pretty simple design. I could fabricate my own bracket. But if it is offered by its self at a reasonable price I would go with that.

Also, are there any threads about changing out the ring and pinion on these differentials? Or is the Quadra Drive II just too complicated and most people don’t bother with it? I’d like to upgrade to a 4.10 Ratio at least. It should even out the difference in tire size if I were to go up to a 265/70/R17 (which is a 31.5” tire) or trying to stuff 33” with lots of cutting. 4:56 would be best for the 33’s but not sure if I will go that big. I want to get the clearance, but still have relatively low center of gravity. the old 4x4 Adage “over gear/under engine” (need a lot of gearing for a 5.7L, though;) and enough lift to fit the tire and but keep center of gravity low.

·
Administrator
6,634 Posts
Thanks! I hope everyone on this forum is as helpful as you. And the link you posted on this thread I have seen before, but it is always super helpful. Is there any company that sells the differential drop brackets By them selves? Or is it only included in the superlift 4”. It looks like a pretty simple design. I could fabricate my own bracket. But if it is offered by its self at a reasonable price I would go with that.

Also, are there any threads about changing out the ring and pinion on these differentials? Or is the Quadra Drive II just too complicated and most people don’t bother with it? I’d like to upgrade to a 4.10 Ratio at least. It should even out the difference in tire size if I were to go up to a 265/70/R17 (which is a 31.5” tire) or trying to stuff 33” with lots of cutting. 4:56 would be best for the 33’s but not sure if I will go that big. I want to get the clearance, but still have relatively low center of gravity. the old 4x4 Adage “over gear/under engine” (need a lot of gearing for a 5.7L, though;) and enough lift to fit the tire and but keep center of gravity low.
@GeorgeVBW;

Also, please read the New Member Required Reading below and complete your user profile as directed, in order to comply with the forum rules;

Thanks & welcome aboard.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts