Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,
I beg your advice on my current situation. I'm on a strict budget but was able to score a 45 x 60 used surco for $100 on craigslist. It came with gutter mounts but seeing as though I have a commander they were just a little shy of the rails between the stock side bar mounts. I was forced to buy 4 u bolts at a local hardware store. Below are some pictures of them and of course I want them gone. Can you guys provide some ideas on a flush looking and safe alternative to what I have now?:killtard:

Attachments

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
Sounds like a super deal to me but others will chime in.

You might consider looking at their website to determine if a Commander specific mounting is available.
Again though, others may respond and have some ideas.

Gotta agree though, your current setup is, uh, well it just doesn't appear very sturdy.

Rob

I think if you look at some of GP's posts you'll get some ideas.....there are other photos out there as well.

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
I think the price was right. Surco makes a good rack and there are a number of accessories available
for lights, tools mounts.

The picture looks like the rack is sitting kinda high. The cross bar is sitting on your curved cross bar?
Can you make it sit lower?

·
1,993 Posts
Here is a link to my roof basket review were a strugle with home made mounts as well. Cico is correct you can buy mounts if you have the money.
ssd

This is what DOC drew up for my and is what I'm using to hold my down no problems so far. You can find pictures of it in the thread above the entire thing only cost me like $23

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was just looking into getting one of these racks for my Commander as well. EverythingSUV.com carries specific cross bars for the roof rack that replaces your current cross bars.

Surco J200 Jeep Adapters (NOTE: Roof Racks 72 inches long or longer will require 2 sets of mount adapters)

$65
for the pair.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I will say that a roof rack is one of the best investments you can make for an suv. We are leaving for the beach tomorrow. I have in my roof rack : 3 beach chairs, 1 folding chair, 1 umbrella, 1 beach cart, 2 body boards, 4 surf rod holders, and 3 noodles:). I dont know what I would do without it.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
My rack is a Rola Rack. The mounting of the rack to the Commander cross bars is shown in a couple of pics in this thread. See post 161. If you look the pictures, you'll see the mounting.

http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4810&page=17

It probably depends on how much weight you put on your rack and how much wind resistance the stuff will add. But you certainly don't want it coming loose going down the highway at 60-70 mph. People could get hurt in addition to wrecking your stuff and other peoples cars.

You might get a way with it for awhile until you can swing the real mounts.

I'm no expert but I thinik if you beefed up the cross piece of flat steel that the u bolts go through and maybe added a wooden block of hardwood formed to the cross bars, it would be stronger and more stabile I think.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Some Mod Ideas for It.

Here's a really crude paint job on your pic with some ideas.

1. In yellow - cut the bolts down so they dont stick up too far.

2. Red - Circled the flat strap. Beef this up to 1/8" or 3/16" steel. Or at least double or triple the flat stock you are using. Paint it so it doesn't rust out.

3. Green - Really crude drawing trying to represent a hardwood block that you would shape curved on the bottom to match the top of the Commander cross bars. Make it taper to follow the angle of the rise in the bow of the cross bar.

Also, I would recommend double nutting the u-bolts and/or using locktite on them or use locking nuts.

I'm not saying that it would be strong enough, but it would be stronger than you have there.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I used the Surco 72" and used the factory mounting brackets minus the cross rails. I had to use different screws (6mm) and drill through the rack cross rails. The funny thing with our rigs is the factory C channel actually gets bigger towards the front of the rig.
IMG00013-20100802-1319.jpg

IMG00014-20100802-1320.jpg

IMG00018-20100802-1733.jpg

·
Registered
266 Posts
I also made custom shovel and axe holders because my axe is too short to use the Surco ones and I was too cheap to buy the correct ones anyway.
I ran the wires for the lights down the plastic channel, under the tail lights and in. I used 4 pin trailer wiring connectors so I could take the rack off easily.
IMG00015-20100802-1659.jpg

IMG00016-20100802-1659.jpg

IMG00010-20100802-1232.jpg

IMG00012-20100802-1319.jpg

·
Premium Member
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Finally did it.

Well I buckled down, and with the help of a buddy, installed my Surco and made my own tire mount. I centered the oem crossbars with the rack and drilled three holes into them. I used 3 inch machine bolts per crossbar and tightened them up.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you

Here's a really crude paint job on your pic with some ideas.

1. In yellow - cut the bolts down so they dont stick up too far.

2. Red - Circled the flat strap. Beef this up to 1/8" or 3/16" steel. Or at least double or triple the flat stock you are using. Paint it so it doesn't rust out.

3. Green - Really crude drawing trying to represent a hardwood block that you would shape curved on the bottom to match the top of the Commander cross bars. Make it taper to follow the angle of the rise in the bow of the cross bar.

Also, I would recommend double nutting the u-bolts and/or using locktite on them or use locking nuts.

I'm not saying that it would be strong enough, but it would be stronger than you have there.

Good Luck.

I'm sorry I never thanked you for taking the time on your suggestion.

THANK YOU

It's post like these that make this forum wonderful.:program:

·
Premium Member
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
For all the new folks on this forum, here is a bump and the link to what became of this project and others.
Thank you all for participating in this wonderful forum and keeping us up-to-date with your ideas and projects. Special thanks to Cico, KitKat, A49'er, Huey A.K.A. The baddest Vet in the West.
For you guys traveling to Southwest Colorado, PM me if you are in the Butte and I will gladly share my trail knowledge out here and maybe be able to get some wheel time too!

This is the link to my Noob Mods
http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13744

1 - 14 of 14 Posts