Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope somebody out there can help. I remember reading a post a while back (maybe 9 - 12 months ago) about a knocking or popping sound from the rear suspension after installing a spacer lift. I have had mine on now for about 6 months and it just showed up. Any ideas or maybe the link to the other post?

Thanks,
Jeff

·
Registered
451 Posts
Usually it is due to the rear shocks either loosening up, or the bolt is tight but is actually not holding the shock securely. Those of us with the Rocky Road shocks know this too well. We all add washers to take up the space between the mount and the shock.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
After I installed my BDS spacer lift I had a clunking/poping noise coming from the rear end. I re-torqued everything on the rear end and when doing so I found the driver's side rear upper control arm bolt loose. Once it was tightened to the correct specs the noise went away.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Usually it is due to the rear shocks either loosening up...
THis was my problem. The bolts seemed tight, but I was able to tighten them further and the knocking stopped. I am using the stock shocks. Hopefully this is an easy fix for you!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info. I will check into this, hopefully tomorrow... I will let you know if it works.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So it turned out that the drivers side shock had loosened up and was causing the knocking. However, the shock bushing was destroyed so I had to change shocks. Fortunately I still had my stockers on the shelf so I have reinstalled them, at least for now. I uploaded a photo of the shock. Has anybody had this kind of trouble before?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
So it turned out that the drivers side shock had loosened up and was causing the knocking. However, the shock bushing was destroyed so I had to change shocks. Fortunately I still had my stockers on the shelf so I have reinstalled them, at least for now. I uploaded a photo of the shock. Has anybody had this kind of trouble before?
I 've seen this on used Chevy pickups I've bought a number of times... if left unattended eventualy the frame would crack above the shock mounts too ...

I've used it a couple times to get the seller down on his price on Chevy pickups, "Ohhh, look here buddy, the frame is all craked out ... it will never saftey like this" :)

Jeep maintaniance schedule says to check those bolts every oil change, and after every off road use, and re-torque if needed.

·
Registered
602 Posts
After I installed my BDS spacer lift I had a clunking/poping noise coming from the rear end. I re-torqued everything on the rear end and when doing so I found the driver's side rear upper control arm bolt loose. Once it was tightened to the correct specs the noise went away.
Is there any way you could take a pic for dummies of this bolt I have done everything and STILL have a noise/popping/clunking. I have new axles, new end links, new swaybar bushings, and new struts. I have NO CLUE what is popping and it is driving me NUTS.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts