Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so my XK has had the 4" BDS suspension lift for quite some time I recently stacked a revtek 2 in spacer on the front and a 1.25 spacer on the rear. I had a local shop intall this spacer lift since it needed an alignment anyway. I did not realize the rear spacer was only 1.25 high until it was installed. This is where the problem lies. My Xk does not sit level now. The nose sits about an inch to an inch and a half higher than the rear. Now I'm looking to remedy the sitiuation.

One idea I have is the coilrite air bags that sit inside the rear coil springs. Im hoping that when aired up these would lift the rear end enough to level it. I have no expierience with the coil bags. I do have expierience with the type for pickups that sit between the frame and leaf springs. I use them on my f-150 they work great and will raise the rear suspension almost 4 inches from stock height.

Does anyone on the forum use the coil bags? If so can you answer any of these questions? If anyone else has another option to solve my problem please feel free to chime in. I'm open to anything at the moment.

·
Registered
807 Posts
are you saying you have a 4 inch lift, with spacers stacked for basically a 6 inch total?
If so do you have any photos of your current set up, specifially of the front CV joints and suspension and Upper control arms, while on level ground?

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
I too would like to see a picture of your set up, I have the 2.25" RR lift and plan to purchase the Superlift and was under the impression that you could NOT combine the two lifts.

·
1,993 Posts
I also would like to see pictures of the suspension up front. I would look into replacement springs for the rear maybe to get the extra lift your looking for. Depending on how bad you worked your springs out back there they may be do for replacement anyway. Or go with
txbajacommander recommendation. If you went to 6" I'm guessing you off road a lot if that's the case I heard the bags you're talking about not being ideal for that application.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
are you saying you have a 4 inch lift, with spacers stacked for basically a 6 inch total?
If so do you have any photos of your current set up, specifially of the front CV joints and suspension and Upper control arms, while on level ground?
The way I read it thats exactly what he's saying. 4 inch BDS + a spacer lift.:stickpoke:

·
Registered
807 Posts
The way I read it thats exactly what he's saying. 4 inch BDS + a spacer lift.:stickpoke:
I read it that way too...but i am yet to see any pics of anyone doing this and then keeping it on. many people have said they were going to do this but i haven't seen it done yet in a way that could still work with the 4x4. I know we have those other threads where it was done, by trailr8....but he took the 2 inch lift back off since it was causing some kind of problem. then he got the JBA heavy UCA and was going to put it back ontop the 4inch lift and install the JBA UCAs but i then the thread died. i never saw the final result. Unless i missed it in another thread.

I like to see pics......you know what they all say if there are no pics.....hehe:rofl:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry it was a busy weekend and forgot to check back in. But yes ped, that is indeed what i am saying my xk is double stacked 4'' bds susp. and 2'' revtek spacer lift. I got my air bags today and am going to see what happens with the install. If they dont level my xk its not a total loss because they will come in handy for towing and for $90 I couldnt say no. it has been raining all day and my jeep no longer fits in my garage to get out of the rain to put them in.

Im not worried about breaking the air bags because im not an extreme offroader, but more the excursion type. I use my jeep to get to remote fishing locations, hiking trails etc, etc. and the bags werent all that much to begin with. they seem pretty durable too.

I will definately get some pictures for you all. Ive never had just the 2'' lift on my xk only the 4''. but from what I can see the ucas/ ball joints and cv axels angles are no worse than a stock xk that has had a 2'' lift installed. The bds lift kit almost mirrors the stock suspension geometry with the drop bracket and lower control arm set up I will take some pictures in a few minutes so you guys can be the judge. its getting a bit dark here though. bare with me

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts

·
Registered
807 Posts
Sorry it was a busy weekend and forgot to check back in. But yes ped, that is indeed what i am saying my xk is double stacked 4'' bds susp. and 2'' revtek spacer lift. I got my air bags today and am going to see what happens with the install. If they dont level my xk its not a total loss because they will come in handy for towing and for $90 I couldnt say no. it has been raining all day and my jeep no longer fits in my garage to get out of the rain to put them in.

Im not worried about breaking the air bags because im not an extreme offroader, but more the excursion type. I use my jeep to get to remote fishing locations, hiking trails etc, etc. and the bags werent all that much to begin with. they seem pretty durable too.

I will definately get some pictures for you all. Ive never had just the 2'' lift on my xk only the 4''. but from what I can see the ucas/ ball joints and cv axels angles are no worse than a stock xk that has had a 2'' lift installed. The bds lift kit almost mirrors the stock suspension geometry with the drop bracket and lower control arm set up I will take some pictures in a few minutes so you guys can be the judge. its getting a bit dark here though. bare with me
Cool. thats whats my theory would be, as with many other people. Since the drop brackets bring it down to factory geometry.
The other issue that I wonder about it the rear control arms ...some have said they may hit the fuel tank....and the angles of the drive front and rear drive shafts. other than that I cant thing of any other issues. I just always wonder about the long term affects of this high of a double stack.
Will standby for anyphotos you have. thanks!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts