Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As most of you know I have the 4" Superlift on my Commander. Of course, I can't sit still so I am constantly researching and trying to find ways to enhance or improve that lift kit. This weelend has been no exception as I have made various tweaks to the front and rear suspension.
1. Replaced OEM ball Joints with a heavy duty adjustable ball joint.
2. Replaced OEM front struts with Bilstein struts
3. Replaced OEM lower rear control arm with adjustable control arm.
4. Replacing rear shocks with 12" Travel Bilstein 7100 Reservoir Shocks. (in progress)

Still tweaking and adjusting but here are a few before/after shots from completed work so far.

OEM Ball Joint before

After...

OEM Strut Before

·
Premium Member
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So far the control/handling on the front end has improved greatly. The new struts are valved at 166/121. I am pleased thus far but still need to drive up into the mountains this week for a real test.

·
Premium Member
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
cico7 said:
looks good. did you have a clinking problem?
Yes, I did on the front. The upper control arm would hit the upper part of the knuckle at the ball joint when the tire would drop. And as you can see the OEM ball joint was pretty beat up by the angle. The rubber boot was shredded.

·
Registered
577 Posts
awesome.... I need to do the same. What is your source for the ball joints and rear control arms? Did you actually adjust the length at all?
-Hemi

·
Premium Member
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
The stud on the ball joint is not as long as the stock one. That gives more clearance for the tires. Thanks for posting all of this phunkeydude.:)

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
How hard was it to change the struts? The other parts don't seem too hard.

·
Premium Member
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
CrzCajun said:
How hard was it to change the struts? The other parts don't seem too hard.
The hard part of replacing struts was compressing of the spring. Fortunately, I have a buddy with the right tools so he made it seem easy.

·
Registered
282 Posts
looks good. now get a hold of prothane or energy suspension and check on urethane bushings. wants my steering a little more responsive, but dont want to be the guinea pig

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
Nice, wish I had the bucks for that lift.

·
Premium Member
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Took a drive up into the Sandia Mountains this past weekend and the new Ball Joints and Struts performed very nicely! I am pleased with the mods.

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
Phunkey. how hard was it to install the balljoints? Even though I have the 2" Terraflex I'd rather have something more stout than the factory balljoints for wheeling.

·
Premium Member
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
rwmorrisonjr said:
Phunkey. how hard was it to install the balljoints? Even though I have the 2" Terraflex I'd rather have something more stout than the factory balljoints for wheeling.
Not hard.
Just a matter of removing the nut on the bottom of the OEM ball joint to the knuckle and then removing the control arm. Once out, you have to pop out the OEm ball joint from the control arm. My buddy did this part with a press to remove the ball joint. Once removed, the new one just bolts right back in place. It doesnt matter what size lift you have, these SPC's are just the ticket for those whimpy OEM joints.

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
That's what I thought, and the company is located just north of me in Longmont, so I might have to pay them a visit!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts