Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yahoo Buzz has pronounced the SUV dead, citing an article from US News & World Report. I personally don't see it as being dead, just becoming more selective. And I know that sounds like a Spinal Tap quote. Hah!

I will never ever give up my Jeep. I don't care if I'm the last forum member someday and have to whine to myself about gas prices and Powertrain Control Modules.

[deep grumble]

From my cold, dead hands........!

[/deep grumble]

·
Banned
1,397 Posts
Yeah, they are far from dead. Sure, the sales numbers may be down, but there are a ton of them on the roads now and it will take years of high gas prices before we see significantly fewer of them on the roads.

Personally, I'll always have one, just because it fits in perfectly with my lifestyle. You just can't beat them for their combination of utility and capability.

·
Premium Member
2,265 Posts
Yeah, I'm hanging on as well. Gas prices will come back down. And, fewer people with 'em means fewer people I have to worry about sharing the trail with!

The SUV is dead! Long live the SUV!

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
I think most true die-hard SUV owners will hold onto them as they were purchased for a purpose, those who purchased a BIG vehicle simply because it was BIG are the ones who will bale.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Hopefully it will mean less folks driving them who don't seriously need the capabilities of an SUV.

Also, with the perceived value of thirsty vehicles at a low, a lot of folks who own them are stuck because it hurts to drive, but they can't afford to sell.

Public transit for the work commute is your friend. :)

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
I truly believe that the big boom of SUV's was the "coolness" factor. Every soccer mom in America traded in their minivans and station wagons for an SUV. Now that "going green" is the hip thing, I see soccer mom's of America going that way; hence, the downfall of SUV sales.

That's my thinking.

As for me, I'm with y'all. It's the functionality of the SUV that makes me love it. I'll always have one.

·
Registered
480 Posts
A car will not fit my family, am I supposed to drive two if we all go somewhere together? That seems less fuel efficient to me. I know the same people who hate large SUV's are usually the same ones who hate large families. I will drive large SUV's regardless of other peoples thoughts. If there was an electric SUV that had the same performance I would be all for it. What is the cost of electric vehicles to the economy and environment? Anyways I have more people than a car has seats, my only option is an SUV. I am jacked on gas prices but oh well, I guess I'll clip coupons to offset the price.
Does anyone have a fast boat? We can start the Jeep pirates and hijack oil tankers. Anyone know how to make gas?

·
Banned
1,397 Posts
a49erFootballFan said:
I think most true die-hard SUV owners will hold onto them as they were purchased for a purpose, those who purchased a BIG vehicle simply because it was BIG are the ones who will bale.
Another theory is that people who buy large SUVs are the most diehard SUV guys, so they are more likely to hold on to them than guys who purchased mid-sized SUVs like the Commander (and 4Runner!) And of course the people who purchased smaller crossover type SUVs generally get better fuel economy, so they probably won't feel the same pain at the pump as the people who purchased larger SUVs.

So using that theory, the mid-sized SUV owners will probably be the most impacted of all SUV owners. Either way....I don't really know, it's just a theory.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
No way will I give up my XK! I'll deal with the gas prices. I need it's capabilities, so it stays!

·
Registered
224 Posts
Good luck prying my cold dead hands from the wheel. I need it for the volunteer work I do. Not to mention it fits all the audio equipment in it nicely :)

O/T: Anyone else get eco assulted about your "big gas guzzleing suv"?

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
SUV for fun and towing, BMW for fun and commuting.

·
Registered
688 Posts
sciron4x4 said:
Every soccer mom in America traded in their minivans and station wagons for an SUV.
Lady next door calls things like the Honda Pilot, Ford Escape, etc... "man vans". She said it was conspiracy to get men to drive vans by disguising them as trucks. She has a Durango, so she knows the difference.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I didnt even buy mine to get in the woods. I got it for the room which accomodates my big bones. Add that I only have a 2 mile trek to work
makes my XK a keeper.

·
Registered
139 Posts
345 hp (my ram) + 305 hp (her xk) = 650 gas guzzling ponies that put a smile on both of our faces every time we hop the curb and hit the turf. I'm in it for the way it makes us feel, safe and strong, combined with rugged good looks and great capabilities. go ahead gas, your price was going up long before any of us ever got or suv's and hemi's, your price started to skyrocket the day we discovered you. :D

·
Registered
76 Posts
I highly doubt this will be the end of the SUV. Most likely, companies will axe most of them leaving us with one or two models to choose from. Kinda like how it was before the SUV craze. Diesel and hybrid tech is the only thing that will save the SUV class of vehicles.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Meatball said:
O/T: Anyone else get eco assulted about your "big gas guzzleing suv"?
In my part of Texas, we usually don't get eco-assaulted about things. I have had a friend refer me to the "Hummer Wave" website mentioned here in another thread.

:)

·
Registered
688 Posts
Morgan said:
In my part of Texas, we usually don't get eco-assaulted about things. I have had a friend refer me to the "Hummer Wave" website mentioned here in another thread.

:)
At first I was imagining the Hummer Wave being Hummer drivers, upon seeing other Hummer drivers, forming their hands like they were grasping a small, short cylindrical object and then pumping their hand up and down in front of their crotch.

Then I looked at the site. Both thought and site were amusing.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
webjones said:
At first I was imagining the Hummer Wave being Hummer drivers, upon seeing other Hummer drivers, forming their hands like they were grasping a small, short cylindrical object and then pumping their hand up and down in front of their crotch.

Then I looked at the site. Both thought and site were amusing.
LOL... well, some of us older members remember when the word Hummer meant something else.

Nuff said...

:eek:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts