Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My driver side front sway bar end link bottom rubber is all chewed up and I need to replace the link. I will be changing both. Is it really as simple as it looks? Does any one know the exact Torx wrench size and nut size. Also the torque tightening specs. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
602 Posts
I'm glad this thread is here bc I am about to switch mine out as well. I did the sway bar bushings the other day (NAPA blue ones) and it was really simple, but the end links intimidated me a little. Is an alignment required after end link/bushing replacement? Are there any real differences in end link brands/quality? I realize there is when it comes to things like ball joints, but are, for example, Moog end links that much better than, say NAPA or any part store brand?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
I'm glad this thread is here bc I am about to switch mine out as well. I did the sway bar bushings the other day (NAPA blue ones) and it was really simple, but the end links intimidated me a little. Is an alignment required after end link/bushing replacement? Are there any real differences in end link brands/quality? I realize there is when it comes to things like ball joints, but are, for example, Moog end links that much better than, say NAPA or any part store brand?
Thanks
Alignment not necessary IMHO.

Are there quality differences? Probably. I am running MOOG replacements. They were $20 a piece.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001CA4GI4/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/ame]

·
Registered
602 Posts

·
Premium Member
362 Posts
Relatively Easy. I used MOOG. Try it yourself.

·
Registered
602 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I hate to ask again cuz you guys are usually Johnnie on the spot, but does anyone know the Torx size and torque tightening specs?

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
I hate to ask again cuz you guys are usually Johnnie on the spot, but does anyone know the Torx size and torque tightening specs?
I can try to find out which torx size this evening if that is helpful. Assuming i can find my torx set... just moved houses and everything is a mess.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Definitely no need for an alignment as replacing the sway bar end links cannot change suspension geometry.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Alignment not necessary IMHO.

Are there quality differences? Probably. I am running MOOG replacements. They were $20 a piece.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001CA4GI4/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Definitely no need for an alignment as replacing the sway bar end links cannot change suspension geometry.
Exactly, sway bars have nothing to do with setting the wheel alignment, they can't change it at all.

Moog, has a great rep, but sway bar links, I wouldn't expect anything special to change by the brand, even if it is Moog. Many time Moog offers a thermoplastic replacement bushing, so perhaps it might perform better. You can get poly urethane bushings for your end links, I doubt that you'll notice a difference.

Make sure the vehicle is on level ground when changing the end links. When the car is level, i.e. NOT swaying, there is no tension on the bar and everything should line up. If the vehicle is NOT on level ground, i.e. leaning like it is swaying in a turn, there will be tension on the bar and end links won't line up.

If the bar and link is just off a tiny bit and you can't get them to line up, try having someone push down on one side of a bumper or other to put a tiny bit of sway on the vehicle and move the bar a bit.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
LuckySe7ens, that would help a bunch cuz my Torx set is small so I will have to go buy the exact size. Thanks. Also I do not want to over tighten and ruin the rubber bushing, so if someone knows the TORQUE TIGHTENING SPECS that too would help. Thanks again guys.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
The end links have a metal collar in them for the through bolt, it will prevent from crushing the bushing.

If I'm wrong or you ever do encounter bushings without a center collar, usually the guidance is tighten the nut until the rubber bushing squishes to reaching flush with the washers on either side.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
LuckySe7ens, that would help a bunch cuz my Torx set is small so I will have to go buy the exact size. Thanks. Also I do not want to over tighten and ruin the rubber bushing, so if someone knows the TORQUE TIGHTENING SPECS that too would help. Thanks again guys.
Ugh forgot last night sorry. Chaos @ my house right now :mofo:

Set an alarm this time.

·
Registered
243 Posts

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Maybe earlier years are different, but there are no torx on mine. Just laid underneath it and checked. 18mm

·
Registered
602 Posts
Just got new end links in. Fronts and rears. I imagine we'd wanna remove the tires, correct? And if so, just place the stands under the LCA's up front so the suspension will be in the correct place?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Just got new end links in. Fronts and rears. I imagine we'd wanna remove the tires, correct? And if so, just place the stands under the LCA's up front so the suspension will be in the correct place?
Thanks
I'm pretty sure that I didn't even pull out my jack. Left the jeep on the ground and replaced them.

·
Registered
602 Posts
I'm pretty sure that I didn't even pull out my jack. Left the jeep on the ground and replaced them.
Okay, so the tires don't actually have to be taken off of the vehicle. Good to know. That'll save some time
Thanks

1 - 20 of 25 Posts