Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
1,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Planing out my wiring for my lights. I just have one set in now and I plan on mounting more which in my layout I would like at least three switches to operate the lights. One for the front one for the back and one for the sides. I sat in my jeep for about an hour staring at the dash with no luck. I found a set of toggles but there two big for any spot in the dash. Any ideas or pics of what you have done to help with the creative process would be appreciated. I'm thinking of mounting a box on top of the dash with a tilt gauge just not sure. Thanks in advance.:icon_confused:

·
Registered
207 Posts
Ask Smitty1970

Here are his. I am sure you could relocate to where ever you want.

·
Registered
55 Posts
just a question but is there a way to put in push style buttons along side where you can disable/enable the parking sensor? Pretty much make them look factory in that location.

·
Registered
207 Posts
just a question but is there a way to put in push style buttons along side where you can disable/enable the parking sensor? Pretty much make them look factory in that location.
Anything is possible, but that seems like it would take a lot. Why do you want to disable the back up sensor? Its not annoying or anything.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Dont know - they look like there are perforations for buttons to go there (or at least they do in mine). Just remove that spot and put a switch/button in its spot. Then again this is all just saying - havent removed the dash to see whats going on in there.

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
Anything is possible, but that seems like it would take a lot. Why do you want to disable the back up sensor? Its not annoying or anything.
I dont think you read it correctly. I believe he was refering to the location where the button is...

·
Registered
207 Posts
just a question but is there a way to put in push style buttons along side where you can disable/enable the parking sensor?
That looks like a question to me.
Dont know - they look like there are perforations for buttons to go there (or at least they do in mine). Just remove that spot and put a switch/button in its spot. Then again this is all just saying - havent removed the dash to see whats going on in there.
I know depending on the options you picked there may be a button there or not. For example, I dont have the traction control button and others do.

·
Registered
809 Posts
It would be a lot of work to install buttons/switches in the OEM button cluster. The blanks are removable and could be drilled to fit said switch, but the computer board and harness socket is right behind that area and there is little to no room for wires and connections. I looked into this when installing my aftermarket heated seats (I even have an extra cluster with the heated seat option), but wound up making the most of my non-homelink upper console area. Not sure exactly what kind of switch you are wanting to use, but these rocker-switches are 21mm in diameter (~7/8") and IMO seem to fit in with the stock electronics pretty well. Plus I love flipping overhead switches, especially when it's to open the sunroof and heat my seats.

Attachments

·
Registered
207 Posts
It would be a lot of work to install buttons/switches in the OEM button cluster. The blanks are removable and could be drilled to fit said switch, but the computer board and harness socket is right behind that area and there is little to no room for wires and connections. I looked into this when installing my aftermarket heated seats (I even have an extra cluster with the heated seat option), but wound up making the most of my non-homelink upper console area. Not sure exactly what kind of switch you are wanting to use, but these rocker-switches are 21mm in diameter (~7/8") and IMO seem to fit in with the stock electronics pretty well. Plus I love flipping overhead switches, especially when it's to open the sunroof and heat my seats.
That's what I was trying to say in the beginning. I just didn't know how to say it!

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I also thought about putting the switches into one of the blanks beside the backup sensor switch, but it seemed too much trouble. The switches I used are the rockers that come with the K.C. lights. I mounted them in the aftermarket stereo bezel so that if I was to trade the Jeep in then they would be easily removed and would leave no trace behind. Drilling a hole into the dash somewhere, for me, would have been the last resort.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I like the location of that switch - start the Commander and flip it. And then just flip it when you go to grab the keys to leave. I like the overhead position also - brings to mind of sitting in the pilots seat getting ready to fly (whats your vector, vector? thats a roger, roger)

·
Registered
55 Posts
You might be right...been a couple of month since ive seen it.

·
Registered
809 Posts
...brings to mind of sitting in the pilots seat getting ready to fly...
Maybe that's why I like it so much. I am of the opinion that drivers should be as knowledgeable and integrated with their vehicle as pilots are to a plane. There should be a switch for the fuel pump, switch for the ignition, one for every light, etc, etc. Anyone not able to understand and operate the systems
properly probably shouldn't be steering a 4,000lb machine around town.
My heated seat buttons are just an effort at a first step back to an involved sense of driving. :)

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
depending on the switch size, you can get several switches in the area show on my post. I think Adondo has 3 or 4 toggle switches there. It is easily accessible also since that panel swings down.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts