Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the notorious clunk in the front suspension when hitting small pot holes issue. After reading a lot about it here it sounds like I should start by changing the sway bar bushings first.

I have the factory replacements here and am ready to get to it. This will be my first job with suspension and have a quick question...

Should I jack up the front end to reduce any pressure on the bushings or can it be done just as it sets? I don't want to take my head off if the bar is under any load.

Thanks for any advise.

·
Registered
556 Posts
You can change both bushings and the end links without jacking it up. Its very simple. Just make sure you do one bushing at a time. That should solve the clunk. I replaced the links because they were worn.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info rhobll. I hope this fixes the issue. I had the service manager at the local dealership ride along with me to have him hear it. He told me that it was "a Jeep thing". That they all do that over time and it is nothing to worry about.:thdown:

I'll change them out this weekend and see how it goes.

·
Registered
13 Posts
when you say "factory replacements" i assume you meant OEM rubber.

i would suggest polyurethane replacements if you are going to the trouble. spray them with silicone spray when installing.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Thanks for the info rhobll. I hope this fixes the issue. I had the service manager at the local dealership ride along with me to have him hear it. He told me that it was "a Jeep thing". That they all do that over time and it is nothing to worry about.:thdown:

I'll change them out this weekend and see how it goes.
Oh yeah. I bought mine from a mitsubishi dealership and thats what their mechanic said. Thats when I searched the internet and found this forum!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, OEM Bushings from the dealer. Do you have a recommendation for aftermarket poly replacements? The local parts store sells MOOG... any good?

·
Administrator
15,206 Posts
Yes, OEM Bushings from the dealer. Do you have a recommendation for aftermarket poly replacements? The local parts store sells MOOG... any good?
MOOG parts are some of the best.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well the bushings are installed and the clunk is gone!

I also have a slight rattle up there that must be the end links. I'll be replacing them in the next week or so.

Thanks for all the suggestions and great information.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts