Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Tactical Armor Group Bumper finally arrived after 12 weeks. Installation was not too bad. Nice fitting with a built in angled skid plate to protect the radiator. I Installed a Smitty Built 10,000 lb winch. You can order these bumpers any way you like. They do not have a picture on there web site with this type of bar and dual lights. The bar is a intermediate ht. for lights. The larger lights are Fog Lights wired to the factory Fog Light switch. The smaller are driving lights with there own switch.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
Bring it to the Ultimate Jeep Summit in July!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
49er, I will probably come over for the day. What days are you going to be there? You will probably be out on the trails during the day. Are you going to be hanging out at the campground for one day?
I heard you are planning on going down Black Bear, let me know what day you are going down and I will meet you at Red Mountain Pass on hwy 550 where you turn off for Black Bear Pass. I can run around as I am 50 east of Montrose it will take me about 2hrs to get over to Red mtn. Pass.

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
I will work up the daily schedule soon so you can plan accordingly.

Need to see if the hot air trip is still a go and what day that would take place.

·
Registered
24 Posts
looks nice, My wife has already tested hers twice with deer and it held up well. Ours has the grill guard bars. I like the winch in there.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
I can tell by looking at the suspension that he has the 4 inch Superlift. So he's probably running a 33 inch tall tires or something very close to that

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
4" Superlift , Wheels are XD Spy 17" X 8 1/2" with a 5 1/2" offset, Tires are 285/7017 BFG All Terrain KO 8ply I think they are 31.75" tall about as big you can get with no rubbing. Oh I flattened out the pinch weld and heated and pushed in the inner fender to prevent rubbing also. I just added some pics on the Picture Media Post of yesterday. The Commander doing a couple of neat Passes here in Colorado.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Do you think that bumper will clash with a front 4XGuard bash plate? Also did you have to modify the factory frame at all to fit that winch?

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
4" Superlift , Wheels are XD Spy 17" X 8 1/2" with a 5 1/2" offset, Tires are 285/7017 BFG All Terrain KO 8ply I think they are 31.75" tall about as big you can get with no rubbing. Oh I flattened out the pinch weld and heated and pushed in the inner fender to prevent rubbing also. I just added some pics on the Picture Media Post of yesterday. The Commander doing a couple of neat Passes here in Colorado.
285/70's are technically 33x11.5

I'm guessing you measured them on the Jeep and that's where you got the 31.75 inches from.

·
Registered
953 Posts
285/70's are technically 33x11.5

I'm guessing you measured them on the Jeep and that's where you got the 31.75 inches from.
I am running the same size and have a radius of about 15.5" from hub center to top of tire. I recalibrated my speedo for a 31" tire and it's within 1mph now.

Sent from under a rock with my SAMSUNG tricorder.

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Question to powderhorn, what's the weight on that front bumper? An did you need to adjust anything on the front end for weight issues? Have you had any drivability issues with it?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The bumper and winch is a little over 200 lbs. I measured before and after install and it set it down 3/8". So I am going to cut out some spacers with the plasma cutter to put on top of the 4" strut extension. I did a pattern when doing the lift because I anticipated some drop but didn't know how much. Got to find time now to get it done.

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
So other than the 3/8 drop you have had no other issues, that s good. I was thinking/worried with the extra weight it would cause some front end or driveability issues. I love the look of those bumpers, front an rear an I like the fact you can customize them a bit too. :icon_cheers:

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It's like you don't even know its there. Way more clearance than the low slung stock bumper. And this thing will take a hit. Or damage whatever it hits.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Rear Bumper

Just ordered the Rear Bumper from Tactical Armor Group. With the Swing out Tire Carrier and the High Lift Jack mount. Looks to be about a 6 week lead time.
This is a photo of what it will look like. Got this Photo off there web site.

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
PowderHorn, Looks great,thanks for posting. I ordered mine today.. THe 3 mnths to get it sucks,but it worth it. I was wondering,what does it weigh? I forgot to ask. Did it drop your front any? I know you have the super lift but I'm running only a spacer. Im rubbing now and I got the wencher. So may be a good excuse to get springs and struts-thinking rustys. Just wondering-Thanks

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I think the bumper weighs about 100 lbs then I added a 10 k smittybuilt winch. It dropped it 3/8". I did think to measure before and after. You could do the old mad emu struts they have adjustable location for spring. Steel armadillo has them. If your rubbing I now I would plan on doing something.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
While I was working on it today I got out the plasma cutter and cut out some 3/16 thick spacer plates that I marked out while installing the Superlift. I knew I was going to put on a bumper and winch and figured it would drop it some. Well about 3/8". These 3/16" thick plate brought it back up right at 3/8". Setting level again!!

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Just wondering how the suspension is holding up thus far with the extra weight? Did you get the rear bumper installed yet?

1 - 20 of 96 Posts