Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
I was thinking about getting some, but they look like they are 1 fits all kinda thing. they don't look like they are just for the JC, if you understand what I'm trying to say.:eek: Maybe there are different one out there.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I think for them to look right you have to have a brush guard on the front as well. i think they look out of place with tail light guards only. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
126 Posts
bravo2376 said:
I dunno, it looks just like those cheesy brush gaurds that everyone puts on their in-town SUVs. Not very masucline looking to me =)

I can't wait for some real after-market bumpers, was looking at getting some custom ones made ala the "commander to the rescue" ones by wyotech, but, sheesh, I'm not sure I'm ready to spend a few times what a normal aftermarket steel bumper would cost. (To be honest, I haven't called the guy to price it, but I've never heard of cheap custom fab'ing. At least, not a job that would hold up very long.)

Speaking of wyotech, and that project, I'm wondering if they saved the designs for that bumper, and can replicate it -- or if they just winged it.

!c

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i plan on getting a brush guard as soon as I can find one I like. I wouldnt put the tail guards until after. I just was wondering if there was a solid tail guard out yet. I want it to fit well if I put one on. 4xguard.com had a brush guard I liked but its only for the cherokee. I called them up and they are talking about making one for the commander but that is about as far as they have gotten.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I saw that mopar had ones that seem like that fit perfectly, but it says available soon. Does anyone have any idea what the release date is for these?

·
Registered
195 Posts
Donutz, I saw the Mopar brochure early last spring, been trying ever since. Nobody knows "nuthin'". Tried for Mannik guards off eBay but that died since they couldn't supply 'em to the dealer involved. And, I never was quite sure just what they'd look like. I thought the ones in the brochure would be ok.

·
Registered
137 Posts
commanderdrone said:
Speaking of wyotech, and that project, I'm wondering if they saved the designs for that bumper, and can replicate it -- or if they just winged it.

!c
Funny you asked that, just today I was reading the magazine, ORA, who did that Commander To The Rescue series build-up....and some guy wrote in asking if Wyotech had the plans for that bumper. Here is the response...

"...there are no plans, that I know of at least. Wyotech students mocked-up the prototype template with the cardboard and wire as you saw in the article, then cut the pieces out of metal and welded them up. We're pretty sure the template is in the recyle bin at this point, or more likely, bailed up and already on its way to China."

·
Registered
126 Posts
another chris said:
Funny you asked that, just today I was reading the magazine, ORA, who did that Commander To The Rescue series build-up....and some guy wrote in asking if Wyotech had the plans for that bumper. Here is the response...
d'oh! Guess they can add another tidbit to their lessons - "never throw anything away" =)

!c

·
Registered
46 Posts
Just got the Mopar catalog for 2007 Commander accessories from the dealership.

Looks like the Mopar tail light guards might be dead.

No mention of them anywhere in the booklet, and no pics.

In fact, the cover photo is almost the exact same photo as the Mopar-equipped photo in the 2006 Commander vehicle brochure. It's more of a close-up on the accessories catalog, but almost everything is the same... even the gear in the rooftop basket is situated the same.

Only one thing that's missing in the '07 photo... you guessed it!
No tail light guards.

I wonder if they just took the same photo from the '06 info and photochopped the tail light guards out of there.

Bummer... I really liked the look of those Mopar guards.

I guess I need to get my retired father-in-law to fire up his welder and make some!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hey,

I got the Mopar grille guard with off-road lights and since the Jeep tail light guards don't seem to exist anymore, I opted for the Manik guards and got my Jeep guys to put them on at the dealership. I think they look great and they are functional. One of the dealership owners even asked about them and said he liked them as well. I got mine from a site called racepages Good luck as there's really not too many options out there.

Y'all take care and keep yer powder dry,
JM

·
Registered
556 Posts
JumpMedic said:
Hey,

I got the Mopar grille guard with off-road lights and since the Jeep tail light guards don't seem to exist anymore, I opted for the Manik guards and got my Jeep guys to put them on at the dealership. I think they look great and they are functional. One of the dealership owners even asked about them and said he liked them as well. I got mine from a site called racepages Good luck as there's really not too many options out there.

JM
Hey JM,
If you get a chance, post some pics. We'd all like to see how they look.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Will do...as soon as all of this freakin' snow is gone and I can wash my JC really well! I'll take some pix and post them then. Hopefully sometime next week. They are really well made and add an all around good rugged look to the JC. The taillight guards did serve their purpose during the blizzard too. I had just pulled into my garage and a big 40 mph gust blew a piece of plywood into my tail light...which probably would've cracked had it not been for the guard. Well worth the $151.

JM

1 - 20 of 26 Posts