Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How easy is it to install a tail light on the jeep commander. Broke mine and dont wana pay the dealer 80 bux to put it in. Anyone know how?

·
Registered
396 Posts
I've done it on a 2001 Tahoe and it was a piece of cake. But I haven't messed with my Commander lights yet.

You might just try it yourself and see. Or call another dealer and see what they charge. $80 sounds pretty steep for a taillight remove and replace.

Or maybe ask some Grand Cherokee owners who have done it. Hopefully it's similar.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yea they want 100 flat for the light and 70 to 80 for installation, please if anyone messins around wiht it let me kno i kno when u open ur trunk theres those two screws in the side that easily come off, but where do i go from there how do i get the other side? b/c its not that loose

·
Registered
4 Posts
Avsfan

I had to take both tail lights off when I installed a trailer hitch with wiring, the wiring plugged into the tail light wiring harness. As best I remember, the tail light pretty much slides out once you remove the two pins. There might be a couple of tabs holding it in place, but it was still really easy to remove, I had to remove both tail lights and it took less than a minute total.

If you go to hitchmart.com, enter vehicle model and make and navigate to part number 16408, there's a pdf for the wiring instructions, gives some decent photos if this post isn't clear.

Todd

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow worked perfectly, the only problem im having is getting the wires disconected at part C in that adobe thing u gave me, i dont wana pull to hard cuz i dont wana break it lol

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yeah, I think I had trouble with one of mine, the other came apart easily. I think there might be tabs on the side of the wiring harness you have to push in to release it. Sure didn't seem like $80 worth of work to me.

Todd

1 - 9 of 9 Posts