Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2007 Commander. My brake lights work, but my right rear tail light doesn't. Also, my front amber driving light doesn't illuminate. All blinkers do work.

Additionally, my dash lighting that illuminates the A/C controls and the throttle (Park/Reverse/Neutral/Drive) do not illuminate.

Is this a fuse problem?

Just had my first experience crawling under the drivers side to access the fuse panel- wasn't fun.. Any advice is appreciated. This is my first post, so lemme know if I need to post elsewhere

Thanks,
Steve

· Registered
389 Posts
As I posted in the other thread, this sounds like an exact issue I had before where a fuse was blown under the hood... should be one of the red 10A fuses. Check them all with a multimeter if possible, or just swap them around I suppose and see if it fixes a problem in one place and causes one in another...

When I had this issue, I also had some interior lights not function until it was replaced as well (climate control, shifter, info center).

· Administrator
15,451 Posts

· Super Moderator
2006 Commander Limited, 5.7 Hemi QD2
2,372 Posts
I have a 2007 Commander. My brake lights work, but my right rear tail light doesn't. Also, my front amber driving light doesn't illuminate. All blinkers do work.

Additionally, my dash lighting that illuminates the A/C controls and the throttle (Park/Reverse/Neutral/Drive) do not illuminate.

Is this a fuse problem?

Just had my first experience crawling under the drivers side to access the fuse panel- wasn't fun.. Any advice is appreciated. This is my first post, so lemme know if I need to post elsewhere
You probably have bulbs burned out. The brake and tail lights are 2 different parts of the bulbs - one can burn out and the other works. The brake light and flashers use the same part of the bulb. If a light on one side works and the other side dosn't, it's not a fuse as they are fused on the same fuse, try the bulb.
The dash lights may be a fuse or burned out.
Then there are the less common causes like bad bulb sockets, broken wires, bad relay's etc. try the easy stuff first.
Checking all fuses is always a good idea with electrical problems. Use a 12V tester that lights up when touched to the fuse. The hard part is finding a good ground for the other end of the tester:) There are 2 little metal spots on the top of each fuse. one is always 12V and should light up the tester, the other side is after the fuse and will light up if good - no light it's bad. Some fuses are only on with the engine turned on.

· Registered
1 Posts

Is this a fuse problem?

Thanks,
Steve
I just replaced one of the three 10 amp fuses that are in a row, in mine with the same EXACT problem. (in the fuse box closest to the front bumper)

As I posted in the other thread, this sounds like an exact issue I had before where a fuse was blown under the hood... should be one of the red 10A fuses. Check them all with a multimeter if possible, or just swap them around I suppose and see if it fixes a problem in one place and causes one in another...

When I had this issue, I also had some interior lights not function until it was replaced as well (climate control, shifter, info center).

EXACTLY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

· Banned
2 Posts
You probably have bulbs burned out. The brake and tail lights are 2 different parts of the bulbs - one can burn out and the other works. The brake light and flashers use the same part of the bulb. If a light on one side works and the other side dosn't, it's not a fuse as they are fused on the same fuse, try the bulb.
The dash lights may be a fuse or burned out.
Then there are the less common causes like bad bulb sockets, broken wires, bad relay's etc. try the easy stuff first.
Checking all fuses is always a good idea with electrical problems. Use a 12V tester that lights up when touched to the fuse. The hard part is finding a good ground for the other end of the tester:) There are 2 little metal spots on the top of each fuse. one is always 12V and should light up the tester, the other side is after the fuse and will light up if good - no light it's bad. Some fuses are only on with the engine turned on.
You are wrong about the fuses

· Super Moderator
2,372 Posts
How so? Please state the error.

Also @boondocker2008
You have been on this forum for a long time but have not provided the required the data requested.

The following is required of all forum members.

Please read this and fill in some of your details and make a signature with your Commander details. (year, model trim, engine, 4wd system, etc.) It is nice for us know what your Commander has in it so we can better help you.

To make or modify a Signature click here for instructions - Signature - How to make or modify

NEW MEMBER REQUIRED READING!!! Important New Member information, Forum requirements & Forum rules. | Jeep Commander Forum

To get the list of everything built into your Commander when built at the factory - have your VIN number (case sensitive) and go here Chrysler Build sheet - Equipment Listing Not necessarily for your signature but so you know what you have.

You can download a free Owner's Manual here--->Owner's Manual

· Banned
2 Posts
One fuse runs the left tail lights and
How so? Please state the error.

Also @boondocker2008
You have been on this forum for a long time but have not provided the required the data requested.

The following is required of all forum members.

Please read this and fill in some of your details and make a signature with your Commander details. (year, model trim, engine, 4wd system, etc.) It is nice for us know what your Commander has in it so we can better help you.

To make or modify a Signature click here for instructions - Signature - How to make or modify

NEW MEMBER REQUIRED READING!!! Important New Member information, Forum requirements & Forum rules. | Jeep Commander Forum

To get the list of everything built into your Commander when built at the factory - have your VIN number (case sensitive) and go here Chrysler Build sheet - Equipment Listing Not necessarily for your signature but so you know what you have.

You can download a free Owner's Manual here--->Owner's Manual
One fuse runs the left tail lights and another runs the right tail lights. I know cause my left tail lights are out and it keeps blowing the one fuse.look it up

· Super Moderator
2,372 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts