Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have never been on soft sand with my Jeep Commander. I loved off roading in northern Michigan on some back woods two tracks, but I am a little scared to take it to the dunes off lake Michigan. I always hear stories of people blowing their engines or trans out there. Also i have stock 245 65 17 tires and I'm afraid of getting stuck and making my baby look bad. I'm sure the Jeep can handle it out there but was hoping some one had some experience on sand dunes.

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts
Stock tires, no lift, tires not aired down:

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts
I have never been on soft sand with my Jeep Commander. I loved off roading in northern Michigan on some back woods two tracks, but I am a little scared to take it to the dunes off lake Michigan. I always hear stories of people blowing their engines or trans out there. Also i have stock 245 65 17 tires and I'm afraid of getting stuck and making my baby look bad. I'm sure the Jeep can handle it out there but was hoping some one had some experience on sand dunes.
Which 4WD system do you have ?

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts
I'm not sure I bought it used. How can you tell? It has the pull tab that switches it from High to Low on the center console.
Then you either have Quadra-Trac II (QTII) or Quadra-Drive II (QDII). Unless a previous owner removed it there will be a badge on the center console between the shifter and the console box that says Quadra-Drive II if that is what you have. If it is QTII there will not be any badge.

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts
Here is a pic showing the badge location.

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts
I must have QTII then because i don't have the badge. Is that a bad thing? Quadra Drive II must be an upgrade?
Not necessarily a bad thing. QTII is a very capable 4WD system. QDII adds front and rear Electronic Limted Slip Differentials (ELSD).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here is a picture of "Test Hill" at the state park. Can't wait to get out there soon. All the searching on the internet and I could not find one XK pictured going up that dune!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
There are dunes pretty much all along Lake Michigan but much of the area is closed to ORV due to erosion. But the Silver Lake dunes are open to ORV.

I might be up for a trip to the Silver Lake dunes if the timing is right for a group of us. I've never wheeled there but would like to.

·
Premium Member
362 Posts
That is an awesome shot of you going up the hill. Sometimes it is hard to get a perspective on grade and those really give a good perspective. Looks like an awesome time.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Watch your temp guage if it goes up when you hit the sand tire pressure needs to go down. I usually start at 22psi.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
I go very often to sand dunes ,,, your stock setup is ok but the low clearance might get you in trouble.

Drop all tires to 18 psi and to be in the safe side put them on 15 psi as well,, that will make you float over sand very easily and minimize the possibility of you getting stuck as beginner. Turn your ESP off by pressing the ESP button several seconds till you get "ESP OFF" message on the display.

if you ever feel the car is getting stuck and hardly moving don't step on it .. stop dig out some sand in front of all tires, put it in 4low and slowly start to drive on.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Here is a picture of "Test Hill" at the state park. Can't wait to get out there soon. All the searching on the internet and I could not find one XK pictured going up that dune!
Lol, all you had to do is ask this guy. I go to Silver Lake all the time. My Jeeps been there at lease 7 times. Never had one issue, 3 of these trips have been 1 dayers, leave in the morning come home at night.

Pics 7-11 in this album are my Jeep on "test".

http://s533.photobucket.com/albums/ee336/ripthesix/2006 Jeep Commander/#!cpZZ1QQtppZZ16

My Jeep does work out there, most important thing to watch out for is backsides of hills and bumps, alot of times there a series of bumps that will send you in a forward back motion that can really break stuff.

But air you tires down to 8-12 psi, sounds crazy, but trust me its fine. Turn you esp off by holding your track button and your good to go.

I run 245/65/17 toyo open countries with my hemi with slight mods, thing turns heads out there. Any more questions just pm me or w/e

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
So who is up for a trip to the Silver Lake Dunes in Michigan?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts