Votes: 3 75.0%
  • Don't worry, be happy...

Votes: 1 25.0%
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've joined a forum for every ride I've had so I'm familiar with many posts being about issues.....

It seems like most here are happy that they have a Commander but holy cow, it seems like these things are temperamental and easy things like coolant changes are complicated?

·
Administrator
7,320 Posts
I've joined a forum for every ride I've had so I'm familiar with many posts being about issues.....

It seems like most here are happy that they have a Commander but holy cow, it seems like these things are temperamental and easy things like coolant changes are complicated?
@Polar;

You get the build sheet & owner's manual for your Commander as instructed here - if you don't have them already;

Important New Member information, Forum requirements & Forum rules. | Jeep Commander Forum

Follow the recommended applicable maintenance schedule, as listed in your owner's manual & stick with Factory OEM replacement parts & FLUIDS and you should be just fine.

The X-Factor here is, how well did the previous owner/owners do this before you?

That's really the variable that may, or may not, make it challenging for you.

·
Registered
07 Jeep Commander Overland
42 Posts
No issues with mine just far, a few weeks in. But the previous owner was a 20yr mechanic at the Jeep dealer I bought it from.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have owned my 2010 Commander since 2015, and have put about 90,000 miles on it (for a total of about 120,000 miles). That includes a fair amount of off roading as well as being my wife’s daily driver.

My Commander has been durable and reliable. I have done only the typical maintenance repairs and upgrades (shocks/lift, brakes, larger tires, fluid changes) and had a few electronic issues and a leaky sunroof but nothing that I couldn’t fix after a bit of stumbling.

I think my experience is more common than not, but these vehicles are getting older and so things wear out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
All,

Thanks for the feedback. I do have my build sheet and will follow the maintenance schedule. I also plan on getting the code reader. Does anyone have a recommended brand and model? I'm not afraid to spend. I've found that cheap tools are never worth it in the end.

One more question, I plan on towing with this rig. I have the factory tow package and will be hauling 1,000 lbs or so about 250 miles once or twice a month. I also drop a boat in the lake every weekend in the summer (about 3,000 lbs dry).

Does anyone recommend adding an oil cooler or other upgrade? I understand overheating could crater my Hemi....

·
Super Moderator
2006 Commander Limited, 5.7 Hemi QD2
1,291 Posts
On towing, since you have the factory tow package it is all set for up to 7200 pounds. No need for extra cooling or blowing up the HEMI.
Also it is all explained in the owners manual,, You can download a free Owner's Manual here--->2008 Owner's Manual

Rectangle Font Parallel Number Screenshot

·
Registered
06 Jeep commander limited 5.7 QTII black
16 Posts

I think it is the modern automobile they are all a pain in arse to change simple things that in the 70s we did not have a problem with. Get use to it buddy and get you a bleeder to bleed off the bubble or air in the system. 45.00 at most box stores?:).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts