Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there, like many of us I am experiencing issues with Limp Mode about once every two weeks ONLY on startup on my 06 Commander. I’ve read every thread on this but nothing seems like a common fox out there. I’ve gotten a number of TCM codes like low voltage, speed sensors and trans over temp. I’ve replaced the TCM relay, starter relays, speed sensors and even the alternator thinking the low input was caused by not enough charge on the battery.

My battery is good but I am starting to wonder if my issue could be related to a faulty starter or the corroded yellow wire people commonly have? I just recently have turned the key and experienced nothing happen but if I keep cranking and it starts (this has happened about 3-4 times).

I know others have fixed their Limp Mode with the shifter bezel cleaning, silinoid packs and valve bodies but could those be problems if this is happening ONLY on startup and not ever when the car is driving?

I really need some advice as the dealership and independent shops have been unable to help due to the intermittent nature. I appreciate your time!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Sounds like a corroded or loose ground strap some place. After all of those have been cleaned and snugged I would inspect the harness.

·
Banned
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice. I looked at all the grounds around the top of the engine compartment today and cleaned and tightened everything but not sure where the additional ground straps are under the vehicle? Nothing seemed loose or hanging that was obvious.

I also checked my starter yellow wire and noticed a little bubble on the connector so I added some dielectric grease and think this could have been what was causing no cranking at times on the starter (unless the starter is starting to go out itself). I don’t know if that could cause any issues with TCM codes by it pulling too much power from it during startup and sending it into Limp Mode? I’ve also heard people spraying the TCM connectors with grease but it surely can’t be that easy.

·
Super Moderator
5,881 Posts
Thanks for the advice. I looked at all the grounds around the top of the engine compartment today and cleaned and tightened everything but not sure where the additional ground straps are under the vehicle? Nothing seemed loose or hanging that was obvious.

I also checked my starter yellow wire and noticed a little bubble on the connector so I added some dielectric grease and think this could have been what was causing no cranking at times on the starter (unless the starter is starting to go out itself). I don’t know if that could cause any issues with TCM codes by it pulling too much power from it during startup and sending it into Limp Mode? I’ve also heard people spraying the TCM connectors with grease but it surely can’t be that easy.
@curtiscorcoran; Please complete your user profile as directed below to comply with the forum rules for membership. Thank you.

https://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/9-problems-dealer-service/announcements.html

ATTENTION All Forum Members - Mandatory Requirement: Update your User Profile Information.

There are some new questions pertaining specifically to your Commander that have been added to your user profile to be answered. YOU SHOULD LOG-IN FROM A DESKTOP OR LAPTOP COMPUTER. There are User Profile Questions that must be answered with profile fields that must be filled out; They are easily accessed & viewed if you are logged in from a desktop or laptop computer - IT IS EXTREMELY DIFFICULT TO VIEW ALL OF THE PROFILE QUESTIONS / FIELDS IF YOU ARE LOGGED IN ON A SMART PHONE USING THE MOBILE VIEW APP.

If you don't own a Commander just answer "No" to the "Own a Commander?" question and you don't need to answer any more of the Commander specific questions. If you do own a Commander, obviously, you'll answer "Yes" and then answer the rest of the questions pertaining to your Commander. Your answers will display all of your Commander's information below your avatar like this:

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2008
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
2WD or 4WD: 4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-II
Current Mileage: 86,500

To update your profile, click on your username above your avatar and select the "View Public Profile" tab and click on "About Me" and you will see the questions that need to be answered pertaining to your Commander's information.

Please take the time to update your profile when you have a spare minute, so, the newer members will know what kind of Commander (Model Year, Trim Package, Power-Train, 2WD or 4WD; 4WD system; etc.) that you are driving.

Update: this sticky announcement has been posted in every single sub-forum for almost 2 years now and I'm still seeing members that have not complied. This is a mandatory requirement for all forum members - failure to update your user profile in accordance with forum rules will be followed up with disciplinary action, up to and including the possibility of being permanently banned from the forum for violation of forum rules.

These rules have been put in place for a purpose, please follow them accordingly. Thank you.

Big Blue; Forum Moderator.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts