Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So it seems that my jeep doesnt register the correct temp if it goes anywhere over 90. Its been stuck on 77 yesterday and today. And its in the upper 90's. Same thing happened last time it was hot out. I have a 2009. Anyone else had this problem??

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Dirt, oil or corrosion in the connector would short or change resistance, changing the value the computer reads from the sensor. Temp sensors are typically somewhere behind the grill and in front of the radiator. Cleaning the connector is the only thing I can think of, other than getting a new sensor. Often they are pretty cheap and can be found at the local auto store.

I've only had the natural, stuck in traffic, no airflow allows some engine compartment heat to warm the sensor to read hotter than actual temps, it always cools down to the correct temp once I get moving and the airflow removes heat from bleeding out of the engine compartment. Reading colder than the known temp sounds likes its definitely a malfunction of some sort.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Mine has stuck at a lower temp for a few days. I have an '07 but I think I remember reading somewhere that the location of the sensor is a problem if it reads hot but a reflash of the computer helps the low readings.

I can't remeber if this has a TSB but I'm sure someone else will chime in.

The lower readings on mine seem to sort themselves out after a day or two.

·
Banned
1,406 Posts
Mine has stuck at a lower temp for a few days. I have an '07 but I think I remember reading somewhere that the location of the sensor is a problem if it reads hot but a reflash of the computer helps the low readings.

I can't remeber if this has a TSB but I'm sure someone else will chime in.

The lower readings on mine seem to sort themselves out after a day or two.
This is the TSB to move the sensor farther away from the radiator, for incorrect readings.

http://www.xkjeeps.com/tsb/tsb_xk_0800506b.pdf

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Mine was not correct since new. I complained several times under warranty. They replaced the sensor after the third trip. I explained the software update was supposed to correct the problem. They did not think so.

I recently paid for the software update which corrected the problem. The outside temp is now accurate and changes on the fly, as it should be.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
...I recently paid for the software update which corrected the problem...
If it was me, I would write Chrysler Customer Service or your Local Zone Office, let them know the Dealership's name, that refused to do the software update nor did they fix the problem under warranty, until you paid for the update after the warranty was up.

IMO, software updates should be free, at the very least Chrysler should set a fair policy and make sure the Dealerships stick to it.

I've been told the policy was, if the vehicle is in for service already, and there were software updates, they were to be performed at no extra charge.

If its under warranty, and there is a software update that address's a problem a customer is having, obviously the software update should be done free of charge as part of the warranty.

I could see, if customers want software updated even though they don't have a problem, that they would charge for them, although IMO they should provide them for free.

Its another thing if you have a problem and there is a software update to fix it, says to me there is a defect in the software and should be performed for free, NOT make the customer pay to fix Chrysler's software defects.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I thought about complaining but have read others run arounds complaining at them before. Sounds like stress to me. I called dealers until I found one that would update it cheap. The prices vary big time. Small towns seem the way to go.

·
Registered
21 Posts
So it seems that my jeep doesnt register the correct temp if it goes anywhere over 90. Its been stuck on 77 yesterday and today. And its in the upper 90's. Same thing happened last time it was hot out. I have a 2009. Anyone else had this problem??
Did you by chance get this problem fixed? Mine started doing the same thing this morning. Three days solid of 100+ then today it's stuck on 77 when my phone shows it to be 98.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Not to jinx myself, I won't say that my problem is fixed, only that it hasn't been not working for a couple days now. Thinking that maybe the overzealous spray of water/wax that my 4yo recently helped me apply at the carwash had something to do with the new issue, I removed the thermometer unit, checked the connections, and cleaned it with rubbing alcohol (I don't know if this actually did anything, but I figured it couldn't hurt). For good measure I disconnected the battery too. The good news is that I haven't seen the temp get stuck since the procedure. The bad news is that it accurately reported it to be 102* today.

·
Registered
263 Posts
My Dash reads 101 to 103 degrees every day at around 5 p.m. This has been going on for the past 2 months or so. Unfortunately, it isn't broken. It reads the correct temperature.

·
Registered
21 Posts
My Dash reads 101 to 103 degrees every day at around 5 p.m. This has been going on for the past 2 months or so. Unfortunately, it isn't broken. It reads the correct temperature.
Been sitting around the 105 mark over here in sunny SC for the last three weeks, it finally rained lastnight and cooled things down to 95 :eek:rangehat:

·
Registered
809 Posts
So of course as soon as I said something the temp monitor went right back to not working. Did a little more research and came up with this:

"Ambient air temperature is monitored by the Electronic Vehicle Information Center (EVIC) through ambient temperature messages received from the Body Control Module (BCM) over the Programmable Communications Interface (PCI) data bus network. The BCM receives a hard wired input from the ambient temperature sensor. The ambient temperature sensor is a variable resistor mounted to a bracket that is secured with a screw to the right side of the headlamp mounting module grille opening, behind the radiator grille and in front of the engine compartment. The ambient temperature sensor cannot be adjusted or repaired and, if faulty or damaged, it must be replaced.

OPERATION

The ambient temperature sensor is a variable resistor that operates on a five-volt reference signal sent to it by the BCM. The resistance in the sensor changes as temperature changes, changing the temperature sensor signal circuit voltage to the BCM. Based upon the resistance in the sensor, the BCM senses a specific voltage on the temperature sensor signal circuit, which it is programmed to correspond to a specific temperature. The BCM then sends the proper ambient temperature messages to the EVIC over the PCI data bus.

The temperature function is supported by the ambient temperature sensor, a wiring circuit, the Body Control Module (BCM), the Programmable Communications Interface (PCI) data bus, and a portion of the Electronic Vehicle Information Center (EVIC) module. If any portion of the ambient temperature sensor circuit fails, the BCM will self-diagnose the circuit. A temperature reading of 130° F will appear in the EVIC display in place of the temperature when the sensor circuit is shorted. A temperature reading of –40° F will appear in the EVIC display in place of the temperature when the sensor circuit is open.

DIAGNOSIS AND TESTING - AMBIENT TEMPERATURE SENSOR
(1) Turn the ignition switch to the Off position.
Disconnect the ambient temperature sensor wire harness connector.
(2) Measure the resistance of the ambient temperature sensor. At –40° C (–40° F), the sensor resistance is 336.6 k ohms. At 60° C (140° F), the sensor resistance is 2.49 k ohms. The sensor resistance should read between these two values. If not OK, replace the faulty ambient temperature sensor."

I looked over my wires- no sign of wear or corrosion. Connection looked good too. Removing the sensor resulted in the appropriate -40 reading, plus a CEL for the circuit (P0073?). Don't have a voltmeter around to check the ressistance right now, but I found a replacement sensor at RockAuto.com for $15 shipped, so I'll probably just give that a shot and hope it solves everything.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have always been unimpressed with my temp reading since day 1. It's always been 4-5 degrees high. Before and after software upgrades and after replacing the sensor.

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts
Mine has always been extremely accurate. I check it against signs around town that show the temperature.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am having the same problem now, along with many others. Took it to the STEALERSHIP to have an overall diagnostic done. They told me that it was a simple, and quick fix by replacing the module. Going to pick up my jeep sometime this morning, hopefully this will be fixed. Oh, and p.s. my jeep is an 06 commander....

·
Registered
954 Posts
Just yesterday I disconnected my sensor after disconnecting the negative from the battery and checked to contacts for corrosion, it all looked well so there was no need for cleaning. I added some dielectrice grease and reinstalled the sensor and connected the negative again and it all seemed to work ok until lunch time today, I drove away and the temperature reading was stuck at 66 and after 5 minutes it adjusted to current temperature; annoying! I guess that's the way it's supposed to operate?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts