Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All �� I’m a newbee & have a question .. When I check the oil on my commander just after it’s been driven there is no oil on the stick but if I reinsert the stick & remove again it shows the oil level .. Is this normal ?

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
Hi All �� I’m a newbee & have a question .. When I check the oil on my commander just after it’s been driven there is no oil on the stick but if I reinsert the stick & remove again it shows the oil level .. Is this normal ?
I can't recall having that issue, but, when in doubt, take a ride to the Jeep dealership and ask them - asking questions doesn't cost you anything but a little bit of your time.

Also @Islandcommander please complete your user profile by indicating what power-train you have in your XK....thanks.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I think it's normal. The oil coats the stick so you can't see a defined line between dry and oil coated. IMHO, the dipstick on the Hemi is too long and curved, and is difficult to read under the best of circumstances. To get a proper reading, you need to remove and clean the dipstick with a rag before reinserting & removing again to actually check the oil.

Now, if you do this and you STILL aren't seeing any oil, you probably need to add a quart... at least.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Hi All I’m a newbee & have a question .. When I check the oil on my commander just after it’s been driven there is no oil on the stick but if I reinsert the stick & remove again it shows the oil level .. Is this normal ?
Three things come to mind. Either you're not checking your oil on a level surface. Meaning the car needs to be parked on level ground. Or your engine could be sludged up. Or some of the ports are clogged that allow the oil drain back to the pan,in a reasonable time. Which is not good.
Or third, maybe you're just low on oil.
As soon as you turn your car off, all the oil should be back in the pan in a matter of a few seconds , with hot oil.
If you check it cold in the morning, on level ground that's going to be an accurate measurement also. And if you check it hot, after the engine gets turned off. In a matter of seconds and there's still no oil on the dipstick, you may have a sludge issue.
Make sure you wipe your dipstick with a clean rag before you insert it and then check it again.
Good luck. Let us know what you figure out.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy, using speech to text

1 - 5 of 5 Posts