Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to thank everyone here for all of the helpfull info provided. I did not post much but enjoyed following the forum. I recently traded in my 06 Commander which I greatly enjoyed but alas, the poor MPG finally got to me. Picked up a nice Volvo wagon and have been happy thus far. So its over to the Volvo forums. Fairwell!!

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Sorry to see you go, best of luck. Post again and let us know how you like your Volvo Wagon?

I apologize to everyone about being a downer always complaining about the Dealerships and all the Proprietary Locks Chrysler designs into the vehicles. They make some good vehicles and have some good and innovative designs.

Unfortunately, you'll find Volvo has proprietary locks designed in their vehicels as well.

After you've had some time to get used to your Volvo, do us a favor and post back, lets us know how the Dealerships compare and if encounter the same frustrations with Proprietary locks with your Volvo as the Commander.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I'm leaving too, I bought a minivan.

LOL yeah right.

You're one of those idots that bought a 5,000 pound box and complains about gas mileage.

I wonder what's the shortest post Mongos ever made?

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
No reason to insult the dude.... he didn't post a thread complaining about gas mileage, just that was one of the reasons he decided to trade up. That doesn't make him an idiot, that makes him a consumer with changing needs/wants.

Good luck with the Volvo. They make some nice rides!

·
1,993 Posts

LOL yeah right. That's funny

You're one of those idiots that bought a 5,000 pound box and complains about gas mileage. That's kinda of rude he did keep it 5 years

I wonder what's the shortest post Mongos ever made? Probably a 200 word reply.

·
Registered
378 Posts
If he bought it new and kept it five years then I'm totally wrong. If he bought it in late 2009 and sold it two years later he can suck it. But seriously, if he kept it for five years seems strange to sell it based on gas mileage, there must have been other factors.

·
Banned
1,406 Posts
Another one bites the dust, and another one gone and another one gone. Another one bites the dust! Good luck. I like my Nitro, but I pine for my Commander! :eek:rangehat:

·
Registered
139 Posts
Commanders are becomming more and more numerous in my area. I think more people can afford a used one as opposed to the higher new price.

I do not know any of the owners in my area. My XK is the only modified one around here. I have not had the opportunity to bump into another owner at the gas station, grocery store, etc.

We don't have a large Jeep enthusiast base around here. Most people with GCs and Commanders do not use them off pavement. Getting Buffy to ballet lessons when it is snowing seems to be the biggest reason for most people to own an SUV.

I personally can't wait until 2010 XKs become depreciated so I can upgrade down the road.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

LOL yeah right.

You're one of those idots that bought a 5,000 pound box and complains about gas mileage.

I wonder what's the shortest post Mongos ever made?

Wow that's a bit harsh don't you think. Becuase I am leaving I did not feel the need to elaborate as to all the problems my Commander has suffered but I will now; I bought it used in 08 (4.7L) as a CPO and owned it 3 years after owning a 4Runner for many years and a Trooper prior to that, so I am no stranger to larger SUV's and the fuel usage associated with their ownership. Although th realy tried to love teh Commadnder and in certain respects did, its problems and horid fuel consumption were too much. I was lucky to get 11mpg in town, where I do most of my driving. I kept it very well serviced and tunned. Tire pressure correct, used good fuel, clean filters and everything I could do.

Other than that, it suffered the trans line leaks, water pump failure @ 40K miles, every damn bulb on the truck would blow out constantly, both front and read headlight assemblies took on condensation (about $350.00 per ligh to fix btw). Various plastic bits constantly falling off the truck, seat skirts, shift knob, een the damn wheel well lining came loose. I was just at the end. My Toyota and Isuzu were great, drove them, mileage was acceptable, and had little to no trouble. I was simply spending too much money to maintain this truck. The dealer was great btw and tried to work with me when they could.

I have always liked wagons and Volvos so when I saw a great deal on a lightly used CPO V50 with 20K miles I traded in the Jeep. Got a fair price for it. The Volvo dealer i bought it from is also ownes a Jeep dealership so that worked out well. I am happy with the Volvo thus far. Have only owend it for a few weeks so we shall see.

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
Wow that's a bit harsh don't you think. Becuase I am leaving I did not feel the need to elaborate as to all the problems my Commander has suffered but I will now; I bought it used in 08 (4.7L) as a CPO and owned it 3 years after owning a 4Runner for many years and a Trooper prior to that, so I am no stranger to larger SUV's and the fuel usage associated with their ownership. Although th realy tried to love teh Commadnder and in certain respects did, its problems and horid fuel consumption were too much. I was lucky to get 11mpg in town, where I do most of my driving. I kept it very well serviced and tunned. Tire pressure correct, used good fuel, clean filters and everything I could do.

Other than that, it suffered the trans line leaks, water pump failure @ 40K miles, every damn bulb on the truck would blow out constantly, both front and read headlight assemblies took on condensation (about $350.00 per ligh to fix btw). Various plastic bits constantly falling off the truck, seat skirts, shift knob, een the damn wheel well lining came loose. I was just at the end. My Toyota and Isuzu were great, drove them, mileage was acceptable, and had little to no trouble. I was simply spending too much money to maintain this truck. The dealer was great btw and tried to work with me when they could.

I have always liked wagons and Volvos so when I saw a great deal on a lightly used CPO V50 with 20K miles I traded in the Jeep. Got a fair price for it. The Volvo dealer i bought it from is also ownes a Jeep dealership so that worked out well. I am happy with the Volvo thus far. Have only owend it for a few weeks so we shall see.

I agree.....thought the response a bit harsh as well.
Can't say you didn't try though......that's a lot of aggravation and expense.
Volvo, heck, just about any of the imports not my cup of tea from a cost of service standpoint.....specifically original equipment service parts.
Lets just say they aren't very bashful......but thats my opinion.
If you like them, thats fine and best of luck to you.....I think we agonize a bit every time a Commander owner moves on.....kind of 'the more the merrier' sort of thing.

Regarding the mileage comment......I suspect the majority of us would like better mileage but recognize this type of vehicle has a lot of mass to get moving.
The folks, such as yourself, that primarily drive stoplight to stoplight really get hammered at the pump.
One of the things that should be kept in mind by all readers is gasoline was around 2.25 to 2.50 when most of these vehicles were purchassed new.
This spring in particular has made every vehicle owner experience almost a doubling of fuel expense, so it has become a bone of contention for some.
To those who have recently purchassed their Commanders, 4.50 a gallon and the operating expense come as no surprise.

Regardless, I hope your replacement vehicle provides satisfaction and a lot less brain damage.

Good luck!
Rob

·
Registered
263 Posts

Good luck with your new Volvo. I also bought my '06 in late '09. I'm just thankful mine isn't a lemmon like yours was. Poor gas milage is a trade off that I accept. But with the problems you've described, I would have done the same thing as you. Good Luck

1 - 12 of 12 Posts