Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had our xk ( limited w 5.7H) for a little over 2 weeks now. love it, of course, but......

the suspension is way soft. At speeds of 60+ on the lovely but undulating roads of our countryside, it gets to lurching up and down like a buick or a cadillac. I'd be happier with an increase in feeling the little bumps if I could get a tighter ride.

So....shocks, I guess? stiffer springs, maybe? I thought I'd do 1.25" spacers and some stifffer shocks as our first mod. Advice? i know nearly nothing about shocks beyond their function. what brand? what type?

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
The suspension is soft to keep the ride comfortable and to soften the jarring on the solid rear axle. It definitely is a big departure from my Cherokee which is running a 3" Old Man Emu lift.

I am not sure if anyone is making adjustable shocks for the Commander yet but that would be ideal, then you could dial in just the stiffness you wanted.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have the RR 2.25 lift w/their optional shock (Deutsch Tech); it is stiffer than the OEM, although I wish it was a tad bit softer. The problem when you combine front and rear shocks/struts that are not matched (different compression rates) you can get an out of sync suspension.

Rancho makes an adjustable shock; the guy in the know at 4Wheel Parts told me that my Deutsch Tech Shock is an excellent shock. He talked me out of the Rancho, explaining that the Rancho would not be any softer at its softest setting on the XK.

Either way I’m stuck with too soft in the front and too stiff in the rear. I want to clarify it’s a subtle difference but I’m still aware of it.

Another problem with the WK, XK and Liberty is that "Jeep in their infinite wisdom" increased the width of the shock bushing so that the shocks that you’ll find right now including the Deutsch Tech have to be shimmed with washers (4 in my case) along with greasing the bushing and bolt. It was a task remedying the knocking and squeaking.

I understand that Fabtech has a lift for the WK/XK that includes front coil-over struts along with optional rear shocks. I don’t know if the rear shocks require shimming.

Eventually the after-market should catch-up I hope and manufacture a matched pair of coil-over struts and shocks that fit right for stock suspension and lifts.

-mike

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
I don't believe the Fabtech ones require shimming as they market that package specifically for the WK. When I talked to them they said they hadn't tested it on the XK yet.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.