Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/AP-Source-Chrysler-lender-apf-15079877.html?sec=topStories&pos=main&asset=&ccode=

Sad but true, the debtors could not be satisfied, in other words the only plausible choice for Chrysler is to file for chapter 11.

As a part of the process, it is more than likely that they will sell the good parts of the company, and let the others rot. So I'm guessing one of the first parts of Chrysler to be sold (and the easiest one to sell) will be Jeep. I can only hope that some real company (like Daimler, I know, hah, or BMW) would buy it, and not one of these neverheard- Indian or Chinese "automakers".

We'll just have to wait and see. God bless the Jeep.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Taco Bell XK

what is wrong with Indian or Chinese automakers? These countries might just be the future of the auto industry when they start to produce eco friendly cars. American cars don't have the best reputation either. Actually mine is made in Mexico and that is probably why I can fill it up with corn ethanol at my local Taqueria.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/AP-Source-Chrysler-lender-apf-15079877.html?sec=topStories&pos=main&asset=&ccode=

Sad but true, the debtors could not be satisfied, in other words the only plausible choice for Chrysler is to file for chapter 11.

As a part of the process, it is more than likely that they will sell the good parts of the company, and let the others rot. So I'm guessing one of the first parts of Chrysler to be sold (and the easiest one to sell) will be Jeep. I can only hope that some real company (like Daimler, I know, hah, or BMW) would buy it, and not one of these neverheard- Indian or Chinese "automakers".

We'll just have to wait and see. God bless the Jeep.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what is wrong with Indian or Chinese automakers? These countries might just be the future of the auto industry when they start to produce eco friendly cars.
These automakers COULD produce eco-friendly, quality cars in the future, no doubt. The problem is that currently they are producing more or less just plasticy copies of western cars, very unsafe and unreliable, ugly cars. I can't possibly imagine how these companies could develop Jeep further, so that there wouldn't be at least a temporary step backwards.

After 10, 20, 30 years, things can be of course different.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Many American cars can be unsafe and very unreliable. China has been making Jeeps for a while now. I think their military uses the BeijingJeep or something like that. Whether you like it or not China will rule the world soon. A lot of countries depend on Chinese exports, and so does the U.S. With that being said, beggers can't be choosers.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Many American cars can be unsafe and very unreliable. China has been making Jeeps for a while now. I think their military uses the BeijingJeep or something like that. Whether you like it or not China will rule the world soon. A lot of countries depend on Chinese exports, and so does the U.S. With that being said, beggers can't be choosers.
No doubt China will be the worlds biggest economic (and also military) power, probably within the next decade. And they won't stop there, they'll soon be that with a huge margin compared to the next.

The point is, that currently their economical growth is mostly based on cheap labour, huge population, and the ability to copy and produce copied stuff very efficiently. In time this will change when they start engineering their own stuff more, and copy less from everywhere else. Moreover the chinese companies will start taking their share of the world market, less and less western companies are able to produce cheap products in China and then sell them elsewhere with massive margins.

But as said, the cars currently produced in China (by local companies) wouldn't match the european or american safety standards even poorly. They are far, far behind in that sector. They are not far ahead with eco-friendly technology either. And their domestically designed cars look like they came out of a melting oven, which is normal in early stages of automotive companies, before they find their own style & brand.

So I don't think they would bring Jeep forward, where e.g. BMW or similar might. Not yet.

Naturally feel free to disagree, it's a matter of opinion.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I hope the Jeep doesn't fall into Chinese hands. You may inhale toxic fumes while driving it. The Chinese are known for trying to kill Americans with their toxic drywall, poisonous pet foods and numerous children's toy recalls. If they don't kill you, they'll kill your pets. The problem is 99.8% of everything you pick in the store is made in China.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just breaking, the White House is announcing the Chrysler has filed for Chapter 11. So it's over.

I'm very sorry for all of those who lose their pension. That's the saddest part.

·
Registered
269 Posts
So Chrysler filed Chapter 11, what does our warranty mean specially the "Life Time Powertrain Warranty"?

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
Chapter 11 does not mean all is lost, and the warranty will be honoured here on all Jeep products. I had that confirmed this afternoon.

A company can come back from Chapter 11, ntl a US/UK telco company did here a few years ago and its now a major brand known as Virgin Media.

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
As UK said, the reorganization should be almost transparent to the consumer.
Chapter 11 is generally more favorable than a equity agreement with the debtors as they now can write off losses.
Trying to keep it simple here.
Regarding service contracts, they would be unaffected.
The insurance laws would not permit the sale of the agreements unless the funding for the potental costs is already in place.
As some have learned the hard way, aftermarket warrantys rarely have adequite funding and fail when their losses become excessive due to poor actuarial studies (loss exceeds income, obviously)

I watch with great interest,
Rob

PS: I wonder if this is the type of CHANGE many voted for? Just a thought.

·
Premium Member
2,265 Posts
robby,
These groups were well on their way to bankruptcy before "change" was implemented.

·
Premium Member
2,265 Posts
I hear you. I think everyone will recover all right. In five years, no one will remember the "Second Great Depression" - except those who suffered from it directly. Like these employees who are going to get laid off, and the GM employees out of work this summer.

·
Premium Member
2,076 Posts
Chapter 11 does not mean all is lost, and the warranty will be honoured here on all Jeep products. I had that confirmed this afternoon.

A company can come back from Chapter 11, ntl a US/UK telco company did here a few years ago and its now a major brand known as Virgin Media.
Somebody was paranoid. :icon_lol:

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
USA Govt is standing behind the warranties.

·
Registered
130 Posts
LMFAO LMFAO LMFAO LMFAO LMFAO LMFAO LMFAO LMFAO LMFAO LMFAO :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
Somebody was paranoid. :icon_lol:
Ha ha ha....but when you have an unreliable Jeep such as mine, then its ok to be paranoid....I just got my second transmission leak fixed on Monday under warranty!!!! :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts