Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Jeep Commander 5.7L Limited
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's probably easier to just...start at the beginning

Beautiful day in the neighborhood go for a drive. Stop to grab groceries.Jeep stuck in 1st, not shifting gears, nothing. Took it into dealer, says needs entire new transmission. Yay but ok sure. Find guy to rebuild, have used him on other vehicles, very honest individual.Get back a month later (Hi COVID) with the nice price of 2600$ no issues. Another beautiful day, go for drive, stop to get groceries, come out and immediately into limp mode (stuck in 3rd). Take back to transmission professional because i'm getting p0700 and p0760 (shift solenoid c), says the computer is shot. ehhhh but ok. Send computer out to be tested, they agree that board is fried. Nice nice nice. Needs to be replaced entirely. Ok. Let's do that. We're in deep at this point. Another 950$. Get back computer, plug in nice and shiny. Still in limp mode. Saw some people had the success of replacing input and output sensors, its cheap, its easy, But still no dice.

I've taken it back to transmission guy, he replaced the shift solenoid again to be sure but still throwing the code.

Any suggestions or is it time to face the music and take it in to the dealer and let them tell me its something ridiculous.

Incase its not in my signature

06 Jeep Commander 5.7L.

·
Administrator
7,665 Posts
It's probably easier to just...start at the beginning

Beautiful day in the neighborhood go for a drive. Stop to grab groceries.Jeep stuck in 1st, not shifting gears, nothing. Took it into dealer, says needs entire new transmission. Yay but ok sure. Find guy to rebuild, have used him on other vehicles, very honest individual.Get back a month later (Hi COVID) with the nice price of 2600$ no issues. Another beautiful day, go for drive, stop to get groceries, come out and immediately into limp mode (stuck in 3rd). Take back to transmission professional because i'm getting p0700 and p0760 (shift solenoid c), says the computer is shot. ehhhh but ok. Send computer out to be tested, they agree that board is fried. Nice nice nice. Needs to be replaced entirely. Ok. Let's do that. We're in deep at this point. Another 950$. Get back computer, plug in nice and shiny. Still in limp mode. Saw some people had the success of replacing input and output sensors, its cheap, its easy, But still no dice.

I've taken it back to transmission guy, he replaced the shift solenoid again to be sure but still throwing the code.

Any suggestions or is it time to face the music and take it in to the dealer and let them tell me its something ridiculous.

Incase its not in my signature

06 Jeep Commander 5.7L.
@AudioSenpai ;

I would have started with replacing the shift control module.

Link to Jeep Commander Transmission DTC's;

Jeep Commander Transmission Problems & Cost | 545RFE | W5A580 (transmissionrepaircostguide.com)

Anyway here is some more information on the DTC's you're receiving;

The DTC P0700 – Transmission Control System – Electrical, simply means that something went wrong in the electrical system that controls the automatic transmission. It is a generic trouble code that every vehicle using OBD-II has in common.

There should always be another code stored in conjunction with P0700. That will be the key, solve that other problem and usually P0700 goes away.

The TCM monitors all of the actions electronically and mechanically of an automatic transmission. It analyzes several inputs from sensors, makes millisecond decisions, then controls several more outputs to hydraulic valves and solenoids and does all of this while keeping an eye on several more stats from the Engine Control Module (ECM).

How Serious is a P0700 Code?
The question is, how serious is the underlying condition that produced this code? A second code will provide more information on the cause of any problems. The second DTC can be from the TCM or ECM. If the vehicle is not experiencing any obvious drivability issues, the DTC may have been set from an anomaly or simply a discharged battery. This is a general code that does not always point to the immediate cause of failure. Taking note of any other symptoms will help with further diagnostics.

P0700 Symptoms
Here are some common symptoms for P0700. Remember that your vehicle may experience some or none of these behaviors.

• Check Engine Light illuminated
  • Degraded transmission performance
  • Abnormal shifting
  • Harsh shifting
  • Delayed response when changing gears
  • Limp Home Mode – limits vehicle to one gear and speed limit in order to get the car to a repair shop (limp home)
  • Fluid leak/burning smell from transmission area – usually red / brownish color / black
Causes of P0700
Depending on the make, model and year of vehicle the causes will vary. Manufacturers use unique electrical designs and engineering so a DTC can mean different things to different vehicles.

These are some of the more common causes associated with P0700 being set.

How to Diagnose the P0700 Code?
To properly diagnose this code you will need a computer/scanner, a volt/ohm/amp meter (multi-meter) and probably a wiring schematic. The vehicle should first be road tested to verify concerns and gather data.

Some DTC code readers will only give generic codes and not sub group specific. You may have to take it to a repair shop that has the proper equipment to read your vehicle’s subsystem codes.

First try clearing the code. Before you erase it, write down all present codes, snapshot any data is about to be cleared and any info from the first road test. If the codes will clear and not return during final road test, the code may have been set by an anomaly or glitch such as a sticky solenoid, valve or erratic sensor reading. Studying freeze frame data might provide insight to the conditions that set the code.

If the codes immediately return or come back consistently on road tests you will have to thoroughly inspect the affected circuit related to the DTC’s. This may require access to internal parts of the transmission as some solenoids and connectors will only be accessible with the transmission oil pan removed.

Common Mistakes When Diagnosing P0700
Under Diagnose
Don’t clear the code and assume because it doesn’t come right back that the vehicle is fixed. A small problem may become a big one.

Over Diagnose
Not getting all codes and data that set the P0700 code and recommending extensive repair — when a wire repair, TCM or sensor replacement would have fixed it.

What Repairs Will Fix the P0700 Code?
P0760: Shift Solenoid ‘C’ DTC Trouble Code

How Serious is the Code?
While a P0760 DTC might not be accompanied by immediate transmission problems, they can progress quickly. So you will need to have a mechanic diagnose the source of the problem.

Symptoms
Symptoms of a P0760 include:

• Check engine light
  • Limp mode
  • Delayed, harsh or erratic shifts
  • Slipping through the gears
  • Engine stalling
  • Getting ‘stuck’ in a gear
  • Vehicle won’t move when in gear
  • Decreased fuel economy
  • Transmission overheats
Causes
  • Low transmission fluid level
  • Dirty transmission fluid / filter
  • Damaged wiring/connector
  • Faulty solenoid
  • Faulty transmission pump
  • Internal pressure issue
  • Valve body issue
  • ECU or TCM failure
How to Diagnose the Code?
Many times, poor maintenance and dirty transmission fluid can lead to problems with the shift solenoids. To rule this out, a mechanic should first check the level and condition of the transmission fluid. If metal fragments are visible in the fluid, a rebuilt or remanufactured transmission may be required. If the fluid doesn’t appear to be “burnt”, then flushing the transmission may clear blocked internal passages.

Should no problems be found with the ATF, the wiring and connectors should be inspected for damage, corrosion and possible short circuits. If everything appears to be in good condition, then the solenoid will have to be tested according to the manufacturer’s recommended procedure. If no problems are found with the solenoid, then the transmission pump, valve body or pressure regulator could be suspected.

Common Mistakes When Diagnosing
It’s not uncommon to assume that the solenoid has failed, when in reality it was a wiring issue, or the solenoid wasn’t tested correctly. Dirty transmission fluid could also clog an internal passage, making it appear to be a failed shift solenoid.

What Repairs Will Fix P0760?
  • Change the transmission fluid and filter
  • Replace failed shift solenoid
  • Replace or repair failed transmission pump
  • Repair or replace transmission valve body
  • Perform a transmission flush to clear passages
  • Repair or replace damaged wiring
  • Clean corrosion from connectors
  • Flashing or replacing PCM/TCM
  • Install a rebuilt or remanufactured transmission
Related Codes
P0761 – Shift Solenoid ‘C’ Performance or Stuck Off

P0762 – Shift Solenoid ‘C’ Stuck On

P0763 – Shift Solenoid ‘C’ Electrical

P0764 – Shift Solenoid ‘C’ Intermittent

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@AudioSenpai ;

I would have started with replacing the shift control module.
Yep. that's where i wanted to start but transmission guy was absolutely convinced...i mean atleast i have a lifetime warranty on the computer now. Ordered the esm since looks easy enough to do myself. Kinda makes me wanna cry at this point but i have no intentions of replacing my girl. We've been through wayyyy too much together. Shall update the thread once the shifter module comes in. If that doesn't do it. off to the dealer she goes.

·
Administrator
7,665 Posts
Yep. that's where i wanted to start but transmission guy was absolutely convinced...i mean atleast i have a lifetime warranty on the computer now. Ordered the esm since looks easy enough to do myself. Kinda makes me wanna cry at this point but i have no intentions of replacing my girl. We've been through wayyyy too much together. Shall update the thread once the shifter module comes in. If that doesn't do it. off to the dealer she goes.
Sounds good. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Decided that I've had enough playing at being a mechanic and just gonna take to the dealer. Wish me luck

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well...

I've returned. Went to both dealerships and apparently its about a 6-8 week wait to even get someone to diagnosis my issue so I'm back to square one. Quite the fun adventure I have going here.

So I'm looking at the Electronic shift module, https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...?q=electronic+shift+module&pos=0#applications

a little research and it doesnt look overly difficult to do but....the transmission code shows its for the W5A and I've got the RFE, can't seem to find any information regarding if this is the same part for both.

I'll admit i'm humbly inconfident in my ability to diagnosis. I've called 9 shops around town as well and none are willing to take it on.

·
Administrator
7,665 Posts
Well...

I've returned. Went to both dealerships and apparently its about a 6-8 week wait to even get someone to diagnosis my issue so I'm back to square one. Quite the fun adventure I have going here.

So I'm looking at the Electronic shift module, https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...?q=electronic+shift+module&pos=0#applications

a little research and it doesnt look overly difficult to do but....the transmission code shows its for the W5A and I've got the RFE, can't seem to find any information regarding if this is the same part for both.

I'll admit i'm humbly inconfident in my ability to diagnosis. I've called 9 shops around town as well and none are willing to take it on.
I think this is what you need;

Genuine Mopar OEM 45RFE 545RFE 68RFE Shift Solenoid Block Pack with TRS Plate | eBay

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well it's been 3 months. Another year passed and finally today I was able to pick up the commander.

A rebuilt tranmission
A double replaced valve body
a new computer
4 grounds replaced

none of these fixed the issue but what did?

A new battery.....Happy 2022!

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Several of the Mods and others on this site stress that a battery that tests good might not be a good battery. Glad you found the problem.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Several of the Mods and others on this site stress that a battery that tests good might not be a good battery. Glad you found the problem.
yeah was just insane because the battery they replaced was less than 6 months old. I was told it might have been sabotaged because when they pulled the caps there was blue gunk coming out of it.

·
Administrator
7,665 Posts
yeah was just insane because the battery they replaced was less than 6 months old. I was told it might have been sabotaged because when they pulled the caps there was blue gunk coming out of it.
That definitely sounds suspect;

It wasn't one of those newer type of gel batteries (the ones with no water in them) was it?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That definitely sounds suspect;

It wasn't one of those newer type of gel batteries (the ones with no water in them) was it?

Nope, Nothing like that. But its been running like a top and i've been missing it.Driving my challenger just isn't the same as stretching my legs out,sliding back the sunroof and just enjoying the drive experience. Now that its back I can continue with its Blacked out Punisher theme that I've been going for.

·
Administrator
7,665 Posts
Nope, Nothing like that. But its been running like a top and i've been missing it.Driving my challenger just isn't the same as stretching my legs out,sliding back the sunroof and just enjoying the drive experience. Now that its back I can continue with its Blacked out Punisher theme that I've been going for.
Sounds like a plan...she looks good & should be trouble free for a good long while.

·
Registered
Jeep Commander Overland, 4X4, 2 Inch Lift, 1.5 Spacers
63 Posts
I had a similar issue with my X5 many many years ago. Apparently the Battery was shot but car would start just fine so didn't suspect anything

One day, Christmas lights on the dashboard, limbo mode, and a whole bunch of codes around the transmission. After that, it just died on me in the middle of the highway. Replaced the battery and was all good after that based on the advice of the mechanic.

Glad you fixed the problem and sorry took so long (after spending a fortune)

Reactions: Big Blue

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I had a similar issue with my X5 many many years ago. Apparently the Battery was shot but car would start just fine so didn't suspect anything

One day, Christmas lights on the dashboard, limbo mode, and a whole bunch of codes around the transmission. After that, it just died on me in the middle of the highway. Replaced the battery and was all good after that based on the advice of the mechanic.

Glad you fixed the problem and sorry took so long (after spending a fortune)
The part that really sucked for all this is that there is just a huge backlog for mechanics in my area. 12 weeks just for them to look at it. Was a crying shame. I even bought a spare shifter module thats just sitting on my counter haha. I'm happy tho.

Reactions: FadyA
1 - 16 of 16 Posts