Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys i hvn't been here in a while ...still waiting to get lifted before comming out to play...love my xk and the only thing i would do different would have been buying the 5.7..........what can i do to get better towing ability from my 3.7..and i know what my book says as far as 5 to 6,000 lbs but what does that look like? two quads, a small boat, 24ft trailer ????:bowdown:

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Cold Air Intake, Exhaust, and upgraded sparkplugs would be a good start for adding additional horsepower.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cold Air Intake, Exhaust, and upgraded sparkplugs would be a good start for adding additional horsepower.
Thanks i think intake and exhaust should be simple enough,,,,K&N, and Flowmaster, o and maybe a high flow cataletic converter,,,but spaark plugs?

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
If you are looking to push the towing ability to the max then you are gonna want some protection for the engine. HD cooling will help out, a heavy duty cooling fan, low temp thermostat and a transmission cooler.

·
Registered
232 Posts
If you have the 3.7L (as I do) your max towing limit is 3500 lbs., not the 5-6000 lbs you stated in your post.

John

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
I would start with determining what you are hauling, how heavy it is, and its profile (wind catching). Then see if it is within your towing capacity. You might find it better to trade your XK for a 4.7 or 5.7 V8. You might find it more cost effective in the long run. Also consider electric brakes on the trailer and a brake controller.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Gears are one of the most important things when it comes to towing if you have a smaller engine. I'd highly recommend getting some 3.73 from either the dealer or out of a 4.7 or 5.7 GC or JC and having them installed. That will definately help out with performance and towing.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Thanks i think intake and exhaust should be simple enough,,,,K&N, and Flowmaster, o and maybe a high flow cataletic converter,,,but spaark plugs?
Sure aftermarket sparkplugs will make a difference (smoother accel) Check out the below link. They are also a sponsor of the forum.

http://www.pulstar.com/

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Adding an intake and exhaust really isnt going to help all that much for towing. For the amount of money you would be spending you wouldnt really gain that much torque. Horse power doesnt really mean anything when it comes to towing. The best mod for the money would be gears.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow!

thanks guys i have been thinking about it all for some time ....and i prob. have one year left to pay off and becouse i do not want to give my xk up, i'm going to except the fact that i will need to buy a full size truck to hual toys, strip weight off my xk and just have fun with it...after all it's lots of fun and has gott'n out of some crazy spots... thanks again.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Hard to beat a pickup for hauling heavy toys. There are some very good deals out there on trucks.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Just make sure you get a big enough truck to haul your toys and your XK so you dont miss out on driving just the truck!!!!!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts