Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,

I decided to install an aftermarket head unit and navigation system into my 2006 Commander Limited 4x4. The car came with the in-dash 6 disk CD player and the VES/DVD player. When I am done I hope to have the following capabilities:

• Ability to play DVDs on front screen (accomplished with parts listed below)
  • Ability to use existing steering wheel controls (accomplished with parts listed below)
  • Navigation (accomplished with parts listed below)
  • iPod integration (accomplished with parts listed below)
  • XM Radio (accomplished with parts listed below)
  • Bluetooth phone integration (accomplished with parts listed below)
  • Backup Camera (still have to get parts for this)
  • Ability for passenger to change NAV destination while I am driving (accomplished with parts listed below)
  • Hopefully, some level of audio/video interface with existing VES DVD player in 2nd row (have not figured how to do this yet)
Here is what I have ordered so far to achieve this (along with part numbers and where I ordered them from):
  • Clarion VRX775VD - Head Unit (from Amazon.com)
  • Clarion NAX970HD - Nav (from Amazon.com)
  • Clarion CCA673 - iPod interface (from Amazon.com)
  • Clarion BLT370 - Bluetooth phone interface (from Crutchfield.com)
  • XMD1000 - XM tuner box (from Crutchfield.com)
  • XMDCLA100 - Interface box between XMD1000 and Clarion HU (from Crutchfield.com): these 2 XM items were sold together under Crutchfield's Item number 700XMCLAR
  • Scosche 142CR1286B - Dash kit (from Crutchfield.com)
  • Peripheral PTR7 - Triggering device which will hopefully cause HU and Nav to think I am stopped so my passenger can change destinations on the NAV unit while I am driving (from hifisoundconnection.com)
  • Best Kits BHA6503 - Wiring harness (from hifisoundconnection.com)
  • Best Kits BAA20 - Antenna adapter to interface between HU and Jeep's existing AM/FM antenna (from hifisoundconnection.com)
  • Pac-Audio.com C2R-CHY, the SWI-CAN and the SWI-JACK are required to interface with Jeep's CAN bus (for steering wheel controls, and required signals for the NAV system
I will be posting pictures along the way. The reasons I am giving all this information is I had a hard time finding resources on the internet to put all this together and I wanted to help others with what I have learned...and also to ask the group's help on the questions I have.

Here are the questions (so far) which I need help on:
1) The NAV box needs to be mounted horizontally due to its internal gyros. Do you have any suggestions as to where to mount this? It is only 1" tall. It is 7" wide by 6.5" deep.
2) Which backup camera should I buy and where should I mount it? I was looking at the Accele WPLC296R but was concerned over its size and where I would mount it.

Thank you for any help you can provide. Please let me know if you have any questions.

-Philco

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I haven't looked behind the dash yet but it looks like there will be space for the NAV box to go under the front of the front passenger seat. Hopefully the other smaller boxes (XM radio) will fit somewhere in the dash.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Do you have a Fry's Electronics out there? If so, I recommend the top one from XO Vision...

http://www.xovision.com/camera.htm

..however, their retail store has a huge assortment of outdoor/indoor security type cameras that use RCA/AV jacks & inputs as well.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the suggestion! I have no Frye's nearby (I wish!!) but I should be able to get just about everything over the internet.

Where would you suggest mounting it? To the top of the back hatch or near the license plate?

·
Premium Member
12,563 Posts
I would go near the licence plate like the factory location, the view in the factory unit from that location is perfect.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, as expected I ran into a few snags yesterday with the install. The first big one is there are 2 connectors (other than the antenna) plugged into the back of my stock 6-disk changer. The first one is bigger and fits the wiring harness mentioned above. However, this connector coming from the jeep does not have all the required wires (like the switched 12V line or enough wires for the speakers). There only appears to be 4 speaker wires on this connector coming from the jeep and by their position on the connector and their coloring they appear to be the back speaker L and R.

It seems the 2nd connecter has the other required wires. Pictures of this smaller connector are below. Does anyone know where I could get a female plug or wiring harness for this connector and/or what the color codes are for the wires going into it?

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb127/philco511/DSC_3240.jpg
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb127/philco511/DSC_3242.jpg

My other big concern was the steering wheel control input to the new HU. Its connector appears to be a female mini headphone jack. Is there some type of interface to connect the correct wires on the jeep to this jack?

Thanks again for the help!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hello - I am wanting to remove the front passenger seat to better drill the holes to mount the NAV box under the seat. Has anyone removed this seat before? Are there any potential issues with doing this? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
12,563 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks! I have sent them an email to see if they will sell me just the 10-pin connector and the wiring color codes. It would be a shame to have to buy their entire interface just to get a connector.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I contacted the company a49erFootballFan suggested (Integration Solutions) and it appears they only have solutions for adding features to the factory HU. After more searching I think I have found what I need to i/f with the BA amplifier, the steering wheel controls, the speed sensor (VSS) and the reverse gear (last 2 needed by the NAV system). It is the C2R-CHY, the SWI-CAN and the SWI-JACK from a company named pac-audio.com I will let everyone know how it goes once I get them.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hello-I have completed everything except for the backup camera and figuring out how to interface with the VES DVD system in the 2nd row. I have updated the first post with the detailed part list to accomplish this. I still have to upload the pictures and describe each step. I hope to be able to have the time to do this soon.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts