Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While in New Brunswick NJ today I found that a 7'-9" parking garage cannot accomidate my commander with the tire on the roof rack. I hit a sign and then a beam supporting the floor above. No damage was done and I was able to leave successfully, I even got a refund from the lady running the booth. After a long search I was finally able to find the one parking lot in all of central jersey and lucky it was only a couple blocks from my destination (Stress Factory Comedy Club). Anyone else ever get wedged into a parking structure?

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts
Before we went to the city, I measured the height so I knew where I could go. There were several garages I couldnt get in to.

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did measure mine but I have also been in a 7'-9" garage before and it fit. I was about 1.5" too high to fit under the low spots. so maybe the garage was miss-measured. In the future i'm not going to be stupid or lazy and just park in a parking lot even if its blocks away from where I need to be.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I forget what the height of the garages are in Denver, but I know if we're going to a Rockie's game that the rack will hit the signs, but I'm o.k. with respect to the beams - my spare fit up under the back though - no trailer hitch.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Never had an issue with the XK, but with my old ZJ, there were several signs that I'd knock around in parking garages with the roof and/or rack. ZJ > XK, as far as height went.

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
With the rack installed, I can only fit in 7'6" & taller garages. Without the rack I can fit into my regular garage. I also have a height reminder sticker in my truck with the minimum height on it.

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
I had to take my rack off in order to park in my garage at work, now with my new car I can put the rack back on.

·
2,248 Posts
If you guys think you got trouble with parking garages, drive thrus, and your garage at home, Try it with one of these....

It is not really a storage pod.....it is a Jet Assisted Takeoff for racing a49erfan next time at the track.

·
Registered
487 Posts
If you guys think you got trouble with parking garages, drive thrus, and your garage at home, Try it with one of these....

It is not really a storage pod.....it is a Jet Assisted Takeoff for racing a49erfan next time at the track.

I take the roof pod off if I don't need it as it really helps on the economy.

·
2,248 Posts
I would but Lee thinks it's cool, besides I might need the extra power for a quick get away.

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
I would but Lee thinks it's cool, besides I might need the extra power for a quick get away.
And you never know when you might need a shirt or something from up there...

·
Registered
75 Posts
When my wife first started driving the commander, she drove into a parking garage and ripped off the ski racks. She was pretty torn up about it b/c it left some deep scratches on the top of the jeep.

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
With the rack installed, I can only fit in 7'6" & taller garages. Without the rack I can fit into my regular garage. I also have a height reminder sticker in my truck with the minimum height on it.
Thats a good idea about the sticker. I noticed that with the new tire carrier I have on my roof rack I have slightly less clearance. I will have to remeasure and give myself a reminder sticker. I don't usually drive where I need a parking garage but you never know.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts