Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had this plug in my XK for awhile now and have no clue who might have installed it or when. Unfortunately, I hear it from every oil change place I visit.

Noticed it was leaking on Saturday and tackled removing it to replace with an OEM plug.

Was able to get the plug out after I used a dremel to cut the cap to pieces and expose the thin stud. Then used a wire with hook so I could push the stud into the oil pan enough to pull the locker down enough to release it from the pan. What a pain in the......

Threads looked fine to me and was worried they might be cross threaded.

My new plug was OEM W14-1.50.
the plug went in fine but I noticed a tiny bit of side to side play. Finger tightened it up to the rubbed washer along with another 1/3 turn with a wrench.
Knowing the plug was a bit loose is bothering me and I keep worrying it might start leaking.

Do these plugs normally have a little side to side play or are they usually fairly snug? Keep in mind the play with mine was very small, I mean, VERY small.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
Looks like a generic plus for oil pans that have been damaged, since you said your plug is loose I am betting someone stripped the threads.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, that's very possible... The new plug went in without any force.

I know that over time the threads in the pan can wear a little from past oil changes. I have a 2006 4.7 I bought new and have 57k miles.

I did buy a backup oversized plug just in case I start to have leaking issues that tightening the existing plug won't fix.

Drove about 3 miles yesterday after repair and another 10 this morning and the existing plug isn't leaking. Yet.... ;)

·
Super Moderator
15,109 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ah, yes... the Fumato.. Remember seeing that awhile ago on the forums.

I'll have to order one for my next oil change.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts