Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just bought daughter No 1 a little White 2.2ltr CRD Patriot 2011My. (£22,890.00)

It's a little corker and it's so like a little baby Commander....fun fun fun, a little beauty....a bit slow compared to our Hemi XH though.

I still drive the Disco 4, but it's good seeing my two eldest behind the wheels of their very own Jeeps.

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
Glad to hear you have another Jeep!

·
Registered
954 Posts
I always said that if the Commander would have a baby that's what it would look like. Congrats!

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
Patriot is a darn good vehicle. You will never find a better combination of economy and utility in one vehicle! I've been driving a Partriot since March of 08 and I can't say anything bad about it. It really is the Commander Jr. or maybe Sub-Commander. ;)

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Congrats, I "believe" the Patriot is based on the Mini-Van Platform, has a lot in common with it. Unfortunately the mini-van is NOT known for reliability. I've kept up with the maintenance and repairs on the 2 mini-vans I've had, so in my case, they have never left me stranded and were very reliable, with some repairs needed time to time, up to about 175k miles. And that is Miles, NOT kilometers, about 175k miles, it seemed it was one thing after another, if your NOT going to fix it yourself to save money, then both my mini-vans would NOT have been worth keeping on the road at that point. Keep in mind, I do over kill on the preventative maintenance, my experience is likely better than most that don't do enough preventative maintenance on their vehicles.

Is it FWD only or 4WD/AWD? If its FWD only, that might a be a blessing, I think the added drivetrain for the rear wheels has resulted in more than a few mini-vans with the same AWD configuration having a lot of re-occuring problems. Lets hope, they have improved the equipment and if you do have the AWD its reliable for you.

Check what tranny you have, if its the A604 a.k.a. the 41TE Transaxle, that trans is notorious for early failure. The reason Chrysler created their Synthetic Super Fluid ATF+4 was because of this trans and trying to prevent early failures. If you have this trans, change the trans fluid/filter every 30k miles, religously. Only use ATF+4, never anything else, there is no better "over the counter" trans fluid than ATF+4 specifically designed for that trans, using Dexron or Mercon will assurdedly result in early death for this trans. Although people report some of the high dollar Synthetic ATF's that claim they can replace ATF+4 work as well, the AMSOIL, REDLINE and MOBIL1.

I installed a temp gauge on my 41TE on my mini-van and would always shift out of O.D. when it got to hot or back off to keep the temps down, as well as change the fluid and filter every 30k miles. My 41TE is still working at 185k miles, although it has been shifting poorly and shuddering, so a rebuild is in order. There are many cases of mini-van owners having to replace their trans at 60k miles.

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mongo,

It's the 4WD/AWD version, my wife's cousin is the new service Manager at our local Jeep dealer so I expect problem free ownership for my daughter.

My sons Hemi XH is in there today for another rear axle rebuild, looks like a rear pinion bearing failure 30k miles after the last one...these rear diffs seem weak in the Commander!

I've just had a run out in the Patriot for an hour, and it's really is a well built little trinket!

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
HEy Simon, I think you need some different parts. I can not believe the issues
you have had. I kinow you have said before (I think) you come to the US from time to time. get the parts here and ship them over.

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey Cico how's it going?

The parts are direct from the USA! They took 2weeks to arrive and I inspected them at the dealer when we dropped the Commander off....and they said Mopar (made in USA) on the sealed bags....is there another USA in Asia or something? Am I being sold counterfeit goods from Thailand?

Best bit it the wife's cousin is covering the costs via warranty following the rebuild last September....oh I'm so happy he's top dog service manager!

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
Mongo,
The Patriot and its cousin the Compass are based off the AWD/FWD Caliber.

All three are built near my home in Belvidere Il. (about 40 miles west)

UK,

Congrats on the new addition......the little CRD engine is not offered this side of the pond.
Whom is the supplier? Benz, Fiat, or is it a Chrysler design?

BTW....Stop by more often....we miss you.
Rob

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
It's all good. Glad to see your jeep family grow.

Hard to believe they can't get the telemetry right to stop chewing up
gears.

There is a town called USA in Japan. Maybe that's where it is made.

Did you know names of all the continents start and end with the same letter?

·
Registered
89 Posts
I've just bought daughter No 1 a little White 2.2ltr CRD Patriot 2011My. (£22,890.00)

It's a little corker and it's so like a little baby Commander....fun fun fun, a little beauty....a bit slow compared to our Hemi XH though.

I still drive the Disco 4, but it's good seeing my two eldest behind the wheels of their very own Jeeps.
neater with the suspension it sweet, have already visited a few cars in which it was impossible to make a toe-collapse

1 - 12 of 12 Posts