Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anybody up for a few hours out at the Mounds? I'm thinking Sunday - 6th or 13th of November (it's almost NOVEMBER!?!?). I can make it on a Saturday, but couldn't get out there until around 1:30 or so.

Commander Chaos may make an appearance with his wheels (Hopefully one of these days works out for you, Gabe!)..

GP? wmjacobsjr? Detroit Maurader?

If you're not familiar with them, look here: http://www.geneseecountyparks.org/pages/MoundsORV

·
Registered
284 Posts
Looks Awesome, how far North from STL

·
Registered
284 Posts
$14 bucks for a reese tow hook, $20 for a a hitch reciever tow point. Best just to have them I would think

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I can do the 13th. I'll be in Ohio down Cico's way the weekend before.

I don't have any tow points on my XK (yet). Think I'll need them?
If I recall correctly, last time we were there, GPintheMitten got stuck in a mud hole and had to get yanked out. I think you'd be OK if you played a little conservatively, but then, what fun is that?

Holaday07 4.7's got a point - get the hitch hookup with a clevis hook and you're good (as long as there's always someone with another hook that can get at your rear-end). That's how I ran until I got my big steel bumper. I still have that on my back-end..

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have a bull bar on so no place to put the Reese hooks and I don't have a hitch installed but its on my list to acquire over the winter. :icon_cry:
I put my hitch on by myself (with my Father-in-Law's able supervision); I don't think it took more than 90-120 minutes, and only that long because I took my time trimming the bumper. There are some threads on the forum about taking the bumper off (the instructions that came with the hitch, IIRC, were not helpful or even accurate in that respect). You'll want a torque wrench.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I put my hitch on by myself (with my Father-in-Law's able supervision); I don't think it took more than 90-120 minutes, and only that long because I took my time trimming the bumper. There are some threads on the forum about taking the bumper off (the instructions that came with the hitch, IIRC, were not helpful or even accurate in that respect). You'll want a torque wrench.
I'm not concerned with the installation, I'm fairly handy and my close friend is a very good mechanic. Its the $200ish for the hitch and bezel, it getting here, and installing it within 2 weeks. I'm going to crawl underneath the front to see if I can somehow attach the reese hooks.

·
Premium Member
753 Posts
The 13th would more than likely be best Alan. I'll let you know for sure.

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm not concerned with the installation, I'm fairly handy and my close friend is a very good mechanic. Its the $200ish for the hitch and bezel, it getting here, and installing it within 2 weeks. I'm going to crawl underneath the front to see if I can somehow attach the reese hooks.
I hear you.. It's just good to be working in 2011 in SE Michigan.

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The 13th would more than likely be best Alan. I'll let you know for sure.
Excellent - sounds like we're tentative for the 13th, although that may change if we get more people chiming in (thus the, uh, tentative part :huh: back to work..)

·
Registered
284 Posts
Ouch, 9 hours is brutal. If I am going that far, I am driving the 14 to Moab. Maybe next summer when I visit my cousin in port huron?? I duno you can see Canada.

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ouch, 9 hours is brutal. If I am going that far, I am driving the 14 to Moab. Maybe next summer when I visit my cousin in port huron?? I duno you can see Canada.
I think it'd be around an hour drive from Port Huron - much closer than STL... Give us a heads-up when you're in the neighborhood; I'm sure we can round some people up to get muddy with you.

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'd be interested in going seeing as I have a pass for mounds but I'll be taking my quad. The commander is just the tow rig lol
Quads just make the trails bumpier - if they don't get out of the way in time :wave:

·
Premium Member
753 Posts
I am about 30 miles south of Port Huron. It is a little less than a 90 minute drive for me. It is about an hour from Port Huron.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I'm in for the 13th! I no longer have the Commander, though. What I have is a bit...bigger. :icon_wink:

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm in for the 13th! I no longer have the Commander, though. What I have is a bit...bigger. :icon_wink:
I think that cements the 13th as the day.

Chaos - You didn't go out and buy a Unimog now, did you?

1 - 20 of 46 Posts