Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've researched the issue I'm having and have tried just about every damn fix there is.

Have a loud clunk when hitting bumps, potholes and speed bumps... almost seems like it's when the suspension is unloading that it clunks.

So Far
- Tried with sway bar disconnected and both sides still clunk.
- New lower control arms / bushings
- new sway bar bushings
- new sway bar links
- all 3 new front diff bushings

Both hub bearings and cv shafts seem nice and tight.
Upper control arm is nice and tight.
All bolts / nuts are tight.

I have the OME 2" lift with HD springs and I have the strut out now trying to tighten the top nut but of course it just spins the shaft and my spring compressors wont fit in the damn coils! The nut is already down about 9 threads and it doesn't seem to have any play but I'm running out of ideas.

Any thoughts other than to run the damn thing in the lake?

·
Super Moderator
5,881 Posts
The first thing that jumps out at me is - why are you running HD coil springs?

Unless you are routinely towing an obscene amount of weight, I'd ditch the HD coil springs and replace them with factory OME coil springs.

I replaced my rear coil springs when I had my Bilstein 4600 shocks and struts installed, but, I just had the factory standard duty coils springs installed; in fact these are the springs I had put in:

06-08 XK Rear Springs – Mopar #52124213AA_52124214AA #52124213AA_52124214AA

If you want a real in depth analysis, there are other posters here like Mongo & a49erFan that can give some more in depth insight than me.

But as I said, I don't think running HD springs which is giving you a harder, stiffer ride is helping your cause very much.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I agree that they are probably too much but my original plan was to run an aftermarket bumper with winch but none of that ever materialized.

The ride actually isn't that bad and the only real issue is the banging in the front end.

Not sure if putting regular springs on there would stop the banging anyways??

About the only thing left that could be causing this problem is the steering rack... I've read about adjusting the E20 bolt but most people say that issue makes a noise when turning and mine is when going straight.

·
Super Moderator
5,881 Posts
Yeah, I agree that they are probably too much but my original plan was to run an aftermarket bumper with winch but none of that ever materialized.

The ride actually isn't that bad and the only real issue is the banging in the front end.

Not sure if putting regular springs on there would stop the banging anyways??

About the only thing left that could be causing this problem is the steering rack... I've read about adjusting the E20 bolt but most people say that issue makes a noise when turning and mine is when going straight.
Well my thinking is the extra rigidness of the ride is what may be causing - or at the very least, contributing to the clunking that you are experiencing.

I could very well be wrong, just throwing it out there.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
What did you torque your LCA down to?

Ill bet its that strut bolt. There are flat spots on the top of the shaft. You need to get a wrench on there to hold it in place and a wrench on the bolt. I had to tighten mine down with it installed on the vehicle.

Milton's Jeep Build - Page 4 - JeepForum.com

Oh **** i almost forgot! Tighten the steering rack!

·
Registered
359 Posts
I've just skipped over this thread for a while, not realizing that this sounds like it pertains to me quite a bit. I gained this issued when I installed my 2" lift from DayStar, but not initially, and on the rear instead of the front. I first discovered that my rear (stock) shocks weren't long enough, and it was a terrible but obvious clunk of the shocks fully extending... hard, everytime i went over a speed bump. So i ordered a couple for 2" lifts, now I've got what I'm interpreting to be the same (as yours) clunk in my rear shocks. Just fruit for thought. It stopped direly annoying me after the first year.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
I've just skipped over this thread for a while, not realizing that this sounds like it pertains to me quite a bit. I gained this issued when I installed my 2" lift from DayStar, but not initially, and on the rear instead of the front. I first discovered that my rear (stock) shocks weren't long enough, and it was a terrible but obvious clunk of the shocks fully extending... hard, everytime i went over a speed bump. So i ordered a couple for 2" lifts, now I've got what I'm interpreting to be the same (as yours) clunk in my rear shocks. Just fruit for thought. It stopped direly annoying me after the first year.
Which shocks are you using?

A lot of rear "2" lift" shocks are generic and fit multiple vehicles. Its pretty common for them to have narrower bushings and eyelets. You might check and see if there is space there. I had to use several washers to close the gap for my Bilstein 5125's in the rear.

ALSO if you do not clearance your gas tank skid then your rear LCA will hit the skid on full droop. I had to clearance mine several inches. This is very common once you get longer shocks, as the stock shocks were the droop limit previously.

I'll bet you its one of those two things!

·
Registered
359 Posts
Which shocks are you using?

A lot of rear "2" lift" shocks are generic and fit multiple vehicles. Its pretty common for them to have narrower bushings and eyelets. You might check and see if there is space there. I had to use several washers to close the gap for my Bilstein 5125's in the rear.

ALSO if you do not clearance your gas tank skid then your rear LCA will hit the skid on full droop. I had to clearance mine several inches. This is very common once you get longer shocks, as the stock shocks were the droop limit previously.

I'll bet you its one of those two things!
I'll check that out when I take my jeep almost completely apart tomorrow, thanks. although I think we're getting slightly derailed from OP's issue.
0:)

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
I'll check that out when I take my jeep almost completely apart tomorrow, thanks. although I think we're getting slightly derailed from OP's issue.
0:)
Let me know how it goes.

Yeah maybe slightly off topic, but its still suspension noise and that's relevant. Maybe it helps OP as well.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Thanks for the responses! Got my E20 socket in last night along with some spring compressors that will actually fit in the srpings!

Will tighten the rack first and then the springs and see what happens!

I don't have any clunks in the rear but I'll check that anyhow.

EDIT... The rack did have some slop but didn't fix the thud in the front end.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Just tossing out a couple ideas..
The strut mounts are maybe shot, causes clunking on other vehicles.
Changing springs on other cars I had to grab the shock shaft with a vice-grip and a rag to tighten the nut down.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had this problem...

I run a 2.25" RR lift and .75 Spidertrax spacers with 255/70/17 at grabbers stock springs front/rear

It was solved by correctly installing the lca and uca's bolts

They have to be torqued to spec under load.

I had uppers/ lowers, struts, and cv joints all done by dealer and still had clunk...

Researched it and found out all control arms were torqued to spec while on lift, they re-torqued with load on suspension and noise disappeared, this was 20K miles ago with no recurrence.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Clunk?

I also had a front end clunk. replaced differential bushings, it helped some,but there was still a clunk. I did notice a seemingly small bit of driveline slack, but I figured that with 6 C/V, universal joints in the front driveline some slack was to be expected.It seemed as if I'd have to replace then one at a time untill I eliminated the "Clunk", I started with the front drive shaft, since steering angle didn't seem to change the noise. At about $400, it wasn't cheap, but it looked like the easiest to replace. Surprise, the annoying "Clunk" disappeared. If it stayes gone for another 110,000 miles, I'll be happy. Art.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have the OME 2" lift with HD springs and I have the strut out now trying to tighten the top nut but of course it just spins the shaft and my spring compressors wont fit in the damn coils! The nut is already down about 9 threads and it doesn't seem to have any play but I'm running out of ideas.

Any thoughts other than to run the damn thing in the lake?
I installed springs on my jeep lastnight and I used an impact to tighten the nut on top of the strut mount on the shock shaft. I first tried torquing it but the shaft turned, I made a feeble attempt to hold it and then just hit it with the impact on a lower setting and the shock shaft didn't spin. Ended up with 10-11 threads showing.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, I've went so far as to put the medium duty springs on the commander and some of the thud is gone but there is still some there... Not sure what to do next... I'm wondering if maybe my it's my plastic body panels banging together or something?

I've torqued every bolt according to the alldatadiy specs...

AJfixit... Are you saying you replaced the whole front axle?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts