Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pretty easy install... just a couple of boo-boos from Aries:

- Wrong bolt size for 2 bolts for the rear bracket (smaller threaded holes in the nut plate) After a trip to Ace Hardware for some 5/8 bolts,lock washer, and washer ... all is OK.

- Wrong hole pattern (or wrong bracket althogether) for the front driver side mounting bracket. One bolt holding on for now. Waiting for response from Xcessory.com and Aries.

Here are the pics:

Side view:

Closer side view:

Shallow angle driver's side...

oopsie... wrong bracket? Different hole pattern on the Jeep???

·
Registered
77 Posts
Looks like those take away a good ammount of ground clearance. Make sure you take them off if you're planning on hitting some trails. Look good though :D

·
Registered
142 Posts
Look Great!!!

Your nerfs look super.:cool: I've been thinking about putting a pair on my rig ever since I got it. Other than the "look", the main reason I want nerfs or something similar is easier access to the top of the vehicle (washing and access to the roof rack.)

I had nerfs on my old Durango which worked fine for the above purpose. I think my nerfs on the Durango stuck out further from the lower body. However, in looking at your pictures, it doesn't look like they provide much utility since they are so close to the stock rocker panel. It appears that if you stood on them, you would have to have your toes pointing at 90 degrees left and right since the rocker panel would prevent your toes from going straight in.

Is this right or are the pictures misleading in regards to this?:confused:

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The lowest point of this side rail kit is still above the lowest point of the undercarriage of the Commander (rear diff / suspension assy)... but it does take away with side corner clearance a bit.

And yes... the steps are pretty close to the rocker panel. The actual stomp pads for the 2nd row seating is a bit offset too much to the front ... I've already had shoe marks on the rear corners of the bar :(

As far as improving the access to the roof... It helps a little bit.... You do have to tip toe a bit since the bars are pretty close to the rocker panels. I'm not that tall either... I still need a step stool to get those hard to reach areas when I wash the Jeep.

Next addition might be a good cargo basket (Yakima? Thule? ... with rack lights??)

Ack... when will it stop?!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Chip I like your nerf bars. It will set your commander apart from others. As I was looking at your pictures. I notice a passat and a sedan deville next to your commander. I have had all those vehicles. 98 passat and a 87 caddy. Now I got the commander. Something real weird is going on here. Take care Maximo

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The 98 Passat is my daily driver vehicle (100 miles/day). It's nearing the 180,000 mile mark.
The other car is my neighbor's P.O.S. that's been sitting there next to my driveway for over a month. Can't wait to have it towed by the housing association.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just an update. I uninstalled the kit last night after I received a notice from Xcessory.com that they would send me a more perfect-fitting kit. (One that doesn't require me to buy new bolts and that has the correct mounting bracket configuration).
Apparently Aries Off Road has had problems with the bars recently.

I'll post the results when I get 'em.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I had the dealer put on the chrome side tubes.. thats what they called it.
Also, way so close to the door. Do they make a bracket that can extend the rail further away from the car? So you can get a hold on with you foot? I was thinking of just moving it out using just one bolt...but afraid it might not hold right.... Thanks :)

·
Registered
541 Posts
I have something like that on my commander, they look exactly the same but I only paid 150.00 shipped. There is a seller on ebay that sells for around that price and claims to sell directly from manufacturer. The quality is amazing so is the price. For those of you that might be interested in doing such mod. They help a lot, especially when you got kids. I will post a picture tonight.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Bette, I had the same thing done with my JC. Ordered them through the dealer and had them installed there too, and I thought mine also were a little too close to the body. You have to be careful not to slip off that step!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I wonder if there is another bracket that could be had to replace the OEM one. Underneath it looks simple enough to replace. Or even a 1 inch extender would be nice to add on to the bracket to bring it out an inch, but has to match the bolt holes. Anyone know of anything like this can be done?

I went to a custom shop and they said they could custom make a rocker panel to replace the stock one ... but afraid of too much chrome there. Any Ideas? Thanks :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
I would be interested in a paintable rocker panel, Bette where are you located?Did they give you an estimate?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi Indo... They quoted me $450.00 for the panels. But they were not paintable.. they were stainless steel. I am located in Port St. Lucie FL.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I also purchased nerf bars of E-bay for $124 plus $30 shipping. Mounted in about an hour or so. They are stainless steel and very nice. Unbelieavable price. I ordered though because of the review on here so I just wanted to confirm they are nice.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Thx Dabitz,
Just ordered me a set 2 min. ago. Hope they go on easy enough. You don't ever have any problems with a lower side clearance do you? And can you put your full weight on it, or no?

·
Registered
541 Posts
No problem with clearance at all, but have in mind that I don't do off-roading. If you are to go off road you will have to take them off. Otherwise, still love them and they make my 4 year old life much easier.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts