Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Time to get new shoes for the XK. However my search has not gone well. Apparently there is a shortage of BFG ATs :( So I have looked at some Michelins, General Grabbers, and Cooper Discovery STs. which led me to believe everyone is running around in the 245/75 tires I was wanting because no one has any.

Anyone tried the Michelin LTX A/T2 or Cooper Discovery STs?

Heart was set on BFGs but at $900 mounted for 4 tires I am thinking maybe I will shop around.

·
Registered
887 Posts

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
The issue here is shipping, the idiots down south think that we can only get things 2nd day air and only offer that option so shipping costs $400 to $700 dollars for a set, therefore I gotta buy local.

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
Have you contacted Discount Tire? I am sure if you explain your situation they will help you out and make sure you get the right price on shipping.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmmm... tried the website and they were 600+ I guess I can actually talk to someone... but that requires social skills... :D

·
Registered
444 Posts
Do you have a Goodyear supplier in your neck of the woods AK? If so, you should check out the Wrandler Dura Tracs. I am running the 265/70/17's with my 2" lift and they only took very minor fitting adjustments. You would also need around a 1 - 1 1/2" wheel spacer, if you don;t already have them on.

Matt

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Holy [removed] batman... $250 a tire... oy!
^^ sorry :(

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
If you do not want to talk on the phone with discount tire then you could contact the rep that is on this forum. I am sure that they will help you out just as well as a phone call.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have no issues talking on the phone, just started drooling over the Goodyear Duratrac loving how the sipes are not just horizontal. *sigh* this and camp commander would be the only reason to move to the lower 48...

Gonna go talk to some friends who ship up here regularly and see if I can get in on one of their consolidation shipments. That might save me and give me more tire options. I just got to get creative.

·
Banned
277 Posts
Take a look at TireRack.com too, and read the user reviews and ratings of the A/T tires. You'll find that Firestone Destination A/Ts are the highest rated tire overall and they're cheaper than BFG A/T KOs. I'm running 245/75 R17s and I love 'em. Still haven't gotten around to posting pics...will soon.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I like TireRack.com's shipping price. :D I looked at the Firestones but since I use the same tire year round I need tires that have sipes in them. The Firestones do not. Thanks for the link to tirerack, might have to see when the Duratrac comes off back order.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Check out the Bridgestone Dueler REVO AT's. They are an amazing tire in the snow and have plenty of siping. I actually liked them better then the BFG AT's that I have ran in the past. I have a set of them in my basement that I was going to throw back on for the winter but I really dont want to take off the MT/R's as I do a lot of winter off roading. Im selling those tires for cheap and they dont require wheel spacers.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hmmm decisions decisions, got a good quote on the cooper STs, but then I look at the Goodyear Duratrac, Bridgestone Dueler REVOs, and of course my fav all time tire the BFG AT KOs... *Head desk* this wouldn't be so hard if the tires were cheaper. The worst part is I know no matter what I will be happy with any of these setups... but I never like parting with money so ...

·
Registered
127 Posts
Just installed a set of Duratracs(265/70-17) on my wife's Expedition. They are def. not as smooth as the 20" Michelins I took off. But they look good, and should give us the traction needed for this coming winter. As far as stability, they seem fine, and no balance issues. I will put them on the Commander this spring.

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
I am 99% sure I'm going to running Cooper Discovery SST's when I buy tires later this month

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Broke down and gave in to my need, finally purchased tires... after much concideration and contemplation, I went with the Cooper Discovery ST and had them siped for extra winter traction.

245/75/17s pictures to follow soon.

Thanks to all who gave input and advice. :D

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Here is a picture of the Jeep with the new shoes. Will try to get better pics when its not raining during the day.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Actually, that's a pretty cool picture with the wet surfaces and gold lighting.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks! I try to impress :D

·
Registered
30 Posts
AK, what size tire did you used to run on your old blue commander? also did you have any rubbing issues, it looked like it just had the 2inch lift with no spacers, is this correct?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts