Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just courious as to what the very first mod would be for your Commander 4.7 after you took it off the lot. Not heavy off-road,(but the wife ain't with me all the time:D ).

·
Registered
131 Posts
Chrome grill is always a first lol, no but really i think its the mod that really seperates sport from limited

·
Registered
24 Posts
I removed the front bumper cover to install a black grill mesh in the area under the bumper by the tow hooks where the radiators are exposed to rocks and debris. I think alumminum color or chrome would have looked better with the front chrome grill. I also high heat clear painted the brake calipers(keeps winter salts from corroding the calipers) and went all over the bottom of the car with undercoating where they missed and rust sprayed and spray painted all the new rusted parts. I also black high heat spray painted the exhaust system.New headlight bulbs. shorter radio antenna, New intake is on its way, rubber floor mats.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Lift kit and tires. Even if it doesnt see much offroad it really enhances the look and you'll be ready for a trail if you it comes your way. You can tell your wife she will be safer since she can see over the cars infront of her:)

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Commander, do you have any photos of your XK on level ground (parking lot / driveway) with the lift and new tires on?

Any issues with the lift at all?

Is the overall diameter of your tire 30.5"?

·
Registered
48 Posts
I'll snap some photos tomorrow for you. Maybe it'll help convince BRAVO2376;)

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm almost convinced Commander. We'll see. Those were the two things I have been thinking about doing also.(for real):rolleyes: Between that or the intake first. The later on is cheaper;) .

·
Registered
274 Posts
If you don't want to get the lift and tires yet. Go for the skid plates if your XK didn't already come with them, so you wheel with a little more protection.:cool:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Lift kit for sure - Rocky Road 2" lift with 265/70 R17 tire = about 3.5 inch lift total. Most folks think its a H3 (what do they know), and many think they have never seen a Commander before, i think because the lift really sets it apart from the others

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hey Rubicontrail.net heres the photos.

We bought it from the dealer and I'm still not quite sure who the manufacturer is on the lift but it is a 2", and we have 265/65r17 Bridgestone Revos. We love the ride and especially they way it looks. Our dealer said they have sold a couple of kits from folks seeing ours (unfortunately on the service drive). It does great offroad, and even though we have never had a truely stock Commander I think it really helps, especially with the clearance.

From the Side,

Front tire and fender, 30" top of tire, 34.5" to fender

rear tire and fender, 30" top of tire, 35.5" to fender

I think our next move may be some wheel spacers for a wider stance.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Commander, what are the rear shocks used on the Commander? What dealer did you get it from (I may call them to find out the kit they used)?

The only 2" ones I have seen are the Rocky Road and Rusty's Off Road. They both appear to be exactly the same with just a different selection of shocks.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Can anyone tell me the cost of a 2" lift, what all needs changed or replaced, and what effect does this have on the ride, handling, and the stability systems in the Commander. They look really good with the 2" lift. I thought mine was all done with the add ons and all but after seeing these picks well........ I am not so sure now.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Rubicontrail.net, your question got me looking harder and I finally found out what they installed. We have the Daystar Comfort Ride which is basically just the poly spacers. The kit number is KJ09132 and sells for about $250-300, and they didnt change the shocks to answer your question (we still have the stock ones). Relecting back to the Rocky Road kit I installed on a Liberty I think had I done this myself I would have ordered one of their systems. I have used the Daystar poly spacers before on the Dodge Rams and never had any problems but I always have installed the Revtec Aluminum spacers on my own trucks.

Commander Ron

Try these links, you can usually search the web and find a little better price if you try hard enough.
http://www.rocky-road.com/commander.html
http://www.autoanything.com/suspension-systems/20A50608A1.aspx
https://rustysoffroad.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=rustys&Category_Code=XKKITS

Not sure what you can expect to pay for install but I know I did the Liberty kit at home in about 3 hours with a run to a friends shop to use his strut compressor. Factor in an alignment after the install to be safe.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Commander said:
The kit number is KJ09132 and sells for about $250-300, and they didnt change the shocks to answer your question (we still have the stock ones).
That is interesting that they didn't change the rear shocks. The Rocky Road site says you can get away with that but the ride quality won't be as good.

The Rocky Road and Rustys Off Road kits are poly rear spacers but metal front spacers.

·
Registered
15 Posts
My first was a chrome state of Texas for the rear door. Looks really nice. Then got the bug deflector, step rails (tubes), Lettering.

I like the looks of the lifts.. .are those bigger tires? Love that. Or is the lift giving that impression. Does the dealer do the lifts? or do you do them yourself? Let us all know. Thanks :D

·
Registered
89 Posts
I will update my JC Hemi V8 in this order. I don't offroad, but I snowboard during the Winter so my mods will be in this order.

Stage 1: I just installed a full Cat-Back exhaust system, Magnaflow. I think the stock exhaust is way too quiet. It sounds so much better and mean with an aftermarket exhaust Plus I wanted to piss off all the Prius/Hybrid owners out there and rub it in there face that I own a gas guzzler. :D

Stage 2: Air Intake system. I will probably go with AEM because it is a dry filter and I like the aluminum pipe. This upgrade with the exhaust system should help out with the weekend trips to Tahoe.

Stage 3: 2'' Lift kit when I need new tires. Mostly for looks. I hate driving next to new a Tacoma TRD that has a higher clearance than the JC. Oh and I want the JC to look different from all the other 2007 and 2008 to be JC owners. I know people are going to catch on to the JC. God forbid it being as popular as the Explorers, MDX, and 4runners. :) I've only seen 2 JC's in San Francisco.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
SF_JEEP said:
I want the JC to look different from all the other 2007 and 2008 to be JC owners. I know people are going to catch on to the JC. God forbid it being as popular as the Explorers, MDX, and 4runners. :) I've only seen 2 JC's in San Francisco.
I feel ya:cool: I've only seen mine and one other over here. I do gotta take props on mine though;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.