Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Unlike the nasty rumours over the past year(s) are suggesting, it seems that the Commander will keep on living, at least for the next three years. I've heard/read from numerous sources that there will be a facelift-version of the Commander, and it will be presented in March/April this year! Even more interestingly, some rumours suggest that it would be presented in the Geneva Motor Show this year, which does indeed take place March 5-15th. Switzerland is the most important market for Jeep in Europe, and for sure there are enough wealthy people who can buy one in CH. Therefore the location would also make sense.

Should this really be the case, I think it's clear that they will continue to offer it at least until 2012, and if things improve by then, why not even longer.

In other words, at least I'm not throwing in the towel just yet, we might have some pleasant surprises heading our way. :) Let's see.

If this has already been discussed here, sorry about it, but at least I didn't find another thread.

·
Banned
1,397 Posts
Supposedly, the Commander was going to get the axe after the 2009 model year. I haven't heard anything about it lately, so maybe the plans changed? I don't know any way to confirm it either way...

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Maybe it'll become an export only model for Jeep?
Actually that thought did cross my mind. They are already assembling the European Commanders in Austria (at least the diesel-ones), could be the reason. Continue production there, quit in the US. But somehow that doesn't sound very sensible for an American company...

·
Banned
1,397 Posts
they still build the cherokee in china, but not here. kind of funny seeing how many people liked the cherokee.

Wow, I had no idea they were still building the old Cherokees at all! That's awesome...those things were very popular around here. I work with a lady that has the most mint black Cherokee ever. She obsessess over it, so it looks like it just came off the showroom floor. I'll have to show her that picture. It looks like they just changed the nose a bit, but the rest of the body seems to be the same. Don't like that new nose though...

·
Administrator
15,201 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
If gas prices go back up, and they will...our beloved Commanders will not survive.

Also, don't be surprised if Chrysler goes UNDER in the next 6-9 months and Jeep is sold off to another manufacturer.

Hope my lifetime warranty is still honored 'cause I am keeping this COmmander

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Actually Chrysler has a total consolidation of models of vehicles in mind last time I talked to someone who claimed to have a clue (key word claimed). Seems the will be merging similar lines of vehicles and going with the popular brands. Take the Aspen and the Durango same vehicle differnt styling, rumor was they are meshing the 2 together and retaining the Durango name and bringing some of the Aspen styling across which is good cause the Durango is damn ugly now. I suspect we will see a perverted version of GC meets XK headon in a nasty styling crash.

·
Registered
64 Posts
i visited my salesman the other day to show him a competing dealer's ad, he told me the commander might continue for a few more years. we'll see what happens

·
Administrator
15,201 Posts
i visited my salesman the other day to show him a competing dealer's ad, he told me the commander might continue for a few more years. we'll see what happens
The salesmen don't know anything -- believe me. Most of the time they don't even know the specs and features of the vehicle.

·
Registered
232 Posts
When I was at the Jeep dealer a couple weeks ago for an oil change, I was talking with one of the salesman while I was waiting. He asked me what I had and I told him it was a Commander. When I mentioned that I heard that 2009 was going to be the last year for the Commander, he told me that wasn't true. He said that the Commanders were selling well at thier dealership. Don't really know weather to believe his comment or not (I also believe the salesman are a bit uneducated on what they sell), but it was interesting.

John

·
Registered
15 Posts
I just talked to a long standing memeber at the Jeep dealership here and said that they are slimming down the entire Chrysler lineup. The Commander, Magnum are gone just to name a couple. They are slimming down and vehicles that have the same chassis. He told me they currently have 64 different vehicles and are cutting it back. That's just what he told me. We shall see!!

·
Registered
282 Posts
I had also heard of the slimming down/combining model lines. The speculation at the time was that the Jeep brand would be left alone (relatively speaking) as it is one of Chrysler's best brands with the most cult following.

It makes sense to me; but what that means for the Commander in particular, who knows.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts