Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The ambient temp readout on my EVIC is incorrect sometimes. Seems to get stuck around 70*.

Over the week on two occasions this happened. It appears to be ok today.

Anyone ever have this problem? Solutions?

I don't even know where the sensor is located. Maybe you all can help me with that.

·
Registered
76 Posts
It's been 100+ in Southern AZ lately, but yesterday mine told me it was a cool 88? Then today it was working: 105! Not sure where the sensor is either, but I can concur with the problem.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Bottom line don't worry about the temperature accuracy until you have gone 20MPH + for at least 3 consectuive minutes.
This was my impression, a "few" times it has NOT acted that way, i.e. took longer than 3min at 20mph + before accurately reading temps; but it has always gone back to be accurate within a degree or two.

People need to keep in mind the difficulty of trying to measure the air temperature from a vehicle. The vehicle bakes in the sun, even driving when it might cool off, the skin of the vehicle is typically warmer than the air temp from the sun hitting the metal. The underside of the vehicle you say? Ummm, measure air temperature 18" above black top in the sun in heavy traffic, its a lot warmer than the ambient air temp.

The best way to measure air temp is putting the sensor in the airflow in the shade. Even then, there will a ton of conditions where the temp will be inaccurate, so you write a computer program for only reading and displaying the measurements when they will be accurate. Behind the grill is the best place to put the temp sensor when you consider all the factors.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts