Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've not had a chance to run this past my dealer yet, but the outside temperature displayed with the compass heading on my Commander is running 5-7 degrees (F) high consistently.

Does anyone else see that, or know if it's owner calibrate-able as is the compass? Anyone know where the ambient temperature sensor is located? Maybe it's covered with tape or something...

Thanks,

Commo
Dearborn, MI

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've got a reliable thermometer/relative humidity combo for inside the house that I'm going to monitor my Commander temp with for a couple days. I stopped by my dealer yesterday and they said they'd need to run a computer diagnostic on it, so I'll wait for the first oil change and have them check it out if it still seems off. It does seem to be getting a bit more accurate -- wazzupwidat?

Commo
Dearborn, MI

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yes and I had them check it today with my oil change and it IS high for some reason. They say it 'might be' engine heat radiating around it. I had the navigation system installed and ever since then, my airbag light would go on spiradically afterwards. They couldn't explain why - just reset the computer.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've confirmed from my experiment with external thermometer that my Commander thermometer runs high. Especially on these cold Michigan mornings when it's been 12 degrees, it's been reading 15 degrees to start and then moves up to the mid 20s as the car runs. So it seems to be picking up heat from the engine, which is ridiculous.

Anybody know the location of the temp sensor? could it be insulated from the engine a bit better? I'm a bit of a weather nut and would like the temp to be accurate!

Commo
Dearborn, MI

·
Registered
25 Posts
this is kind of discouraging i'd say...

also the compass is way off. i read that you have to manually calibrate it by driving in a circle. i almost wrecked laughing so hard when my girlfriend read that to me. HA!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yeah, my compass wasn't calibrated when I got the Commander, so I had to figure that out, too.

Indeed, you have to set the declination for your area (Detroit = 9, for instance) and then drive in a big circle in an open area away from magnetic influences to orient the compass.. after first holding in the C/T button until 'cal' appears in the compass display. That works fine for the compass, but doesn't calibrate the temp reading..

I'm now due for my first oil change and will find out at the dealer whether they can deal with the too-high temp readings.

Commo
Dearborn, MI

·
Registered
195 Posts
I thought my temp. device was too high, but today I drove from Olympia to Vancouver (WA) via I-5; the temp. through Centralia was 22 F which I think was reasonably close. I'll see what the dealer guys say when I get the 6000 mile service on this coming Monday.

·
Registered
136 Posts
To: gitchuone - there is nothing wrong in driving in a circle in open area in order to calibrate the compass - this is the most standard procedure for any vehicle with digital compass. There are no rules against laughing while you're at it either.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.