Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been on this site for a while and I just created an account here. During the summer I had bought a 2006 Jeep commander, 4.7 V8. Been finally able to do some work and right now I'm stuck and need a little help and saving lol.

Right now I'm trying to fix an antifreeze leak that is leaking through the thermostat housing and god only knows how long its been leaking through it. Unfortunately its been leaking through the bottom and going through the bottom screw and it seems it had corroded and I tried to unscrew it but it wouldn't really budge and it cleaned off the corrosion and it seems the screw is a little stripped. Is there anyway I can get this screw out with out damaging anything or having to replace that part of the engine? Father told me that I might have to replace that block or whatever that the thermostat housing is connected to but I'm trying to avoid that as I don't have the money and I already have a replacement thermostat and housing. Thank you in advance!

Also last thing is I noticed when driving it through my yard since it is a little bumpy that there was a knocking noise towards the front passenger side. When I was replacing the rotor, brakes, and caliper there I used a 2x4 piece of wood to lift that suspension that every time I let it go and drop the suspension that there was a knocking. Father thinks that it could possibly be the strut or strut mount. Not 100% sure but I'm hoping someone has experienced this before and could help me out. Again thank you in advance!!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Hi Anthony,

Welcome to the forum.
While it is always disheartening to have a stripped thread, Take heart, they are repairable.
There are three ways to repair a thread.
#1 Helicoil
#2 Steel Thread insert
#3 Drill & tap to the next larger size

While more expensive, I prefer #2 because it is the strongest and you can use the factory bolt, making future maintenance easier. The internet is filled with how to instructions for all three.

There is a fourth option. The T-stat housing bolts, not to the cast iron block, but to the aluminum timing cover. You could replace it, but you’ll have to remove a lot of parts, the most difficult being the fan and fan cover, and the harmonic balancer. Shown below on a 3.7 but yours is practically identical.
Machine Iron Religious item Cross Automotive engine part

Regarding the noise, it could be a number of things including the strut, half shaft, ball joints, tie rod end. It’s very hard to say without seeing it first hand. You may need to take it to an alignment shop, and pay for an inspection.

·
Administrator
7,306 Posts
So I've been on this site for a while and I just created an account here. During the summer I had bought a 2006 Jeep commander, 4.7 V8. Been finally able to do some work and right now I'm stuck and need a little help and saving lol.

Right now I'm trying to fix an antifreeze leak that is leaking through the thermostat housing and god only knows how long its been leaking through it. Unfortunately its been leaking through the bottom and going through the bottom screw and it seems it had corroded and I tried to unscrew it but it wouldn't really budge and it cleaned off the corrosion and it seems the screw is a little stripped. Is there anyway I can get this screw out with out damaging anything or having to replace that part of the engine? Father told me that I might have to replace that block or whatever that the thermostat housing is connected to but I'm trying to avoid that as I don't have the money and I already have a replacement thermostat and housing. Thank you in advance!

Also last thing is I noticed when driving it through my yard since it is a little bumpy that there was a knocking noise towards the front passenger side. When I was replacing the rotor, brakes, and caliper there I used a 2x4 piece of wood to lift that suspension that every time I let it go and drop the suspension that there was a knocking. Father thinks that it could possibly be the strut or strut mount. Not 100% sure but I'm hoping someone has experienced this before and could help me out. Again thank you in advance!!
@Anthony Swi;

Welcome to the forum; Post some pics of your XK when you can;

Here are some links if you need to order any parts for repairs or upgrades to your XK;

Chrysler/Jeep Factory Parts: https://www.factorychryslerparts.com/

North American Parts: https://northamericanparts.rpmware.c...unt/login.aspx

JeepinByAl: JBAoffroad.com

JustforJeeps.com - https://www.justforjeeps.com/

Rough County lift kits - Suspension Lift Kits, Body Lifts, Leveling Kit, 4x4, Jeep, Chevy, Dodge, Ford, Off-road Truck | Rough Country Suspension Systems®

4 inch XK Superlift;
AFE: Advanced FLOW Engineering | Engineered Adrenaline

CARiD.com - https://www.carid.com/?gclid=CjwKEAj...NrrxoCEBbw_wcB

Bilstein shocks & struts - Home

WAM Custom Bumpers - https://wambumpers.com/

Jeep Steel Bumpers
4WheelParts.com - Truck Parts & Jeep Parts - Lift Kits, Winches, Tonneau Covers, Tires, Wheels, Bumpers, Performance ? 4 Wheel Parts

RockAuto - https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...catalog%2Fjeep

Also, please read the New Member Required Reading below; Lots of good information for new members here;

REQUIRED READING!!! New Member Introduction post & other important new member info.

Thanks & again, welcome aboard, I hope you find this information useful.

·
Registered
4 Posts

You can get a new thermostat housing and thermostat kit from autozone

1 - 7 of 7 Posts