Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Therocks' Garage-New Addition

Here are a couple shots of my current toys. One is very easy to identify. 2007 XK 4.7L, QT II, stock.

The other is a little harder to identify. I'm taking guesses.

*EDIT#2* 4/5/12
Well. with gas prices being what they are, I decided to sell my IH Traveler. As much as I loved riding around in the most unique convertible in my area, I only put a small amount of miles on it last year and probably wouldn't be driving it much at all this year. The truck only got 11mpg highway and probably around 8 in town. So, I replaced it with a 2 wheeler that gets 45-50mpg. Pic below is a 2004 Suzuki Volusia VL800.

*EDIT*
It's been a while since I've posted to my Garage. I have not done anything to the XK since the lift in December but, I recently came across a pic that I thought had been lost. It is a pic of a previous Jeep product I owned. 1969 Jeepster Commando 5 inches total lift rolling on 33s. This might be the only pic I have of this vehicle. It was not finished at this stage. The roll bar is not on and there is no front bumber.
Specs: 225 V6, SM 425 muncie, axles from '84 CJ w/lockrite, Dana 300 from '84 CJ, power steering from '84 CJ.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
15,175 Posts

·
Banned
1,406 Posts
QUOTE=jeep5253;166063]1977 International Harvester Scout II.[/QUOTE]

Made in Ft Wayne, Indiana! :eyemouth:

·
Super Moderator
15,175 Posts

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
Judging by the angle it appears to be the long wheelbase version known as a Traveller (not Travelall)

Most likely has a IH 345 V-8 2v
If an automatic, it has a Torque-Flite 727
Dana 44's at both ends with manual Warn hubs.

STRONG but known for corrosion......I miss them and, yes, I had a 73 and a 77.

The Commander is a fuel sipper in comparison.

Rob

·
Banned
1,406 Posts
Judging by the angle it appears to be the long wheelbase version known as a Traveller (not Travelall)

Dana 44's at both ends with manual Warn hubs.

Rob
Built by the Spicer division of Dana, again in Ft Wayne! All Ft Wayne builds today are GM Silverados and Sierras. Boy, do I wish for the good old days. Scouts were cool, like the original Bronco! Thanks for the memories! :SM127:

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Robby is the winner! The Traveler model trips most people up. This longer wheelbase version came with a full length fiberglass top. Mine has been converted to a soft top.

It is a 345 V8, auto, D44s with 3.73 gears. It does have a lot of mods/accessories. The body is in extremely good shape. It originally was purchased in Washington state. It seems to have been spared from the road salt. Fuel mileage is not good but, I only put 1-2K on the odometer per year.

On a side note, I plan on doing some mods to the Commander in the not-too-distant future. Whenever the original tires need replaced, it's getting an RC lift and some real tires. The wife said yes to a different exhaust also.:woot:

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Parts for IH trucks are easier to find than for most vehicles. All of the body parts are still being produced. All of the mechanicals can be found at most chain parts stores.

When IH stopped building what was called lightline vehicles (Scouts, Travelers, Terra pickups) 9 dealerships across the U.S. bought out all of the tooling for the body metal presses. Most of the driveline is Dana and is common to every major American truck/SUV. The 345 engine was produced up until 1992 in heavy trucks.

There are numerous outlets for IH only parts\accessories\modification.
If you are looking to buy one, there are a couple of boards for enthusiasts. I have really appreciated the info regarding Commanders on this site. It cannot compare to the IH site I visit most for knowledge base. There are IH engineers, service technicians, old school guys who have done it, broke it, rebuilt it, etc.

If you need any help I can point you in the right direction.

I think one of the coolest things I have seen for IH is a junkyard sourced fuel injection for a 345 V8. Parts can be had at a U-pull for about $350. I am running electronic ignition that is a combo of U-pull, GM, and Ford parts.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Santa Comes Early

A big brown sleigh backed up in my driveway and dropped off a package. The only problem is that I won't be installing until late February or early March when I save up enough for new tires.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
I love those IH's. When I was a kid the minister of our church in Connecticut had one. He was the Chaplin of the volunteer fire department and used his to pull firetrucks out of snow banks and drifts!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Lift and Tires...CHECK!!

Spent all day Sunday putting on RC lift. Just got back from mount/balance and alignment. 2" RC and 245/75/17 Duratracs. The XK doesn't look like a car any longer.:)

Attachments

·
Registered
542 Posts
Looks a lot better!

Are you running spacers? If not, are the new tires rubbing? Thanks.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm lovin' it. No spacers and no rubbing. My wife is 5'3" and it is a little tougher for her to get into but, she is loving the look. I only have put about 15 miles on it so far but I did some snow blasting to check it out. All I can say is WOW! I can't wait to get off the pavement.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I drove the XK to work yesterday to get a few highway miles and real world driving. I did get a small amount of rubbing when turning into a parking lot at work. I was at an angle and drove through a depressed driveway apron a got just a bit of rubbing. I will have to check to see if I can tell what area the tire is contacting.

I forgot to check my stock wheel openning height but, the post lift height is 36" rear and 36 1/2" front.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I removed one ride from my garage and replaced it with another. New pics in original post.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts