Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 07 Commander and a set of 275/70R17 Goodyear wrangler mtr tires. Was wondering with a 2" lift would these tires be able to work on stock rims without any problems?? Would appreciate any advice, Thanks/..:icon_confused:

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
I have an 07 Commander and a set of 275/70R17 Goodyear wrangler mtr tires. Was wondering with a 2" lift would these tires be able to work on stock rims without any problems?? Would appreciate any advice, Thanks/..:icon_confused:
Those tires will fit on the stock wheels, however 1.25 or 1.5 inch wheel spacers will be needed to clear the ball joint bolt. Also due to the size, youll definately have to bend over the pinch weld and re mold the inner plastic fender well. After that youll probablly have to see how close the tires are to the pinch weld area and take an angle grinder to the area where it is rubbing. If you plan on taking your XK off road, your definately going to have major rubbing. However with an angle grinder/sawzall you can fix that easily.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Just curious, are the they old MT/R's or the new MT/R's with Kevlar. Also are they brand new or used?

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
I guess old?? They're the durawall not the kevlar ones no.. Slightly used
Since there slightly used, you might be able to get away with just bending over the pinch weld and re molding the plastic inner fender well. Those tires new are only about 1/2 inch taller then the 265/70's so the tire would only sit about 1/4 inch closer to the pinch weld.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
I would have to go with the 4" lift right??
You can fit them with the 2 inch lift, but you'll have to trim so you dont have rubbing.

If you can get a 4 inch lift you would be better off though and wouldnt have to do any trimming.

·
Registered
275 Posts
While on the subject of tires rubbing, I noticed 07JeepXK that you are running 265/70/17 tires with the 2 inch lift. I have the 2.25 lift with the same size hankooks. When off road do you have any rubbing with shock travel? I just bought this jeep and was wondering. I plan on taking it on some trails this weekend and just wanted to know how careful i should be when the shocks compress if there is any possibility of rubbing.
Thanks
Ryan

·
Registered
422 Posts
If you havent bent the pinnch weld or have spacers then you will have sme rubbing when you flex a bit... ust take it nice and slow and you should be ok.

again refer to the sticky posted by 07 under the wheels and tires sub-forum.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Thanks for the quick reply. I will take the angle transitions slow. It's nothing rocky. I'll get out and check when it seems close just for future reference. I don't have wheel spacers. That is the next item on my list. The lift and tires were on the jeep when I bought it but the guy didn't put wheel spacers. I have no rubbing when turning and there are no noticeable rub marks on anything as of now. Should be fine.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
While on the subject of tires rubbing, I noticed 07JeepXK that you are running 265/70/17 tires with the 2 inch lift. I have the 2.25 lift with the same size hankooks. When off road do you have any rubbing with shock travel? I just bought this jeep and was wondering. I plan on taking it on some trails this weekend and just wanted to know how careful i should be when the shocks compress if there is any possibility of rubbing.
Thanks
Ryan
Every once and a while I have slight rubbing on the inside of the rear fender flares when completely flexed out. I usually only notice it when we are at Rausch Creek, but it's nothing really to worry about. Other then that I dont have any other rubbing since the install of the Bilstein struts and 1/4 inch leveling spacer. Today I went wheeling with my little brother and didnt have any rubbing what so ever.

You might have slight rubbing but its nothing to worry about.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts