Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll have to replace the tires for the first time on my '07 Commander Sport. Can I go a little wider on the current wheels? I have no intention of doing a lift. What tires would you recommend? Thanks, Ken

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
The below thread will help you on the tire sizes. Scroll down about 2/3's of the way.

As far as tires, I'm running Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armors and they do great on and offroad.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Ewwwwww:stickpoke:
You must not have much mud in your area.
The only thing better than Buckshots in Arkansas mud are SuperSwampers. But they dont wear as good as Buckshots.

Co-op Grip Spurs are GREAT mud tires, but they are Nylon Belted and not as good on pavement as Buckshots.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Interesting! Could be extremely noisy. Yes, I know, not on mud (LOL).

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
You must not have much mud in your area.
The only thing better than Buckshots in Arkansas mud are SuperSwampers. But they dont wear as good as Buckshots.

Co-op Grip Spurs are GREAT mud tires, but they are Nylon Belted and not as good on pavement as Buckshots.

Ummmm thats all we have in my area is mud. Thats why I bought the new Goodyear Wrangler MT/R's with Kevlar. They are a lot better in the mud then my buddy's Jeep that has the Buckshots. Plus you cant go wrong with the Kevlar side walls.

Just my .02

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
I was looking at these this evening - Hankook DynaPro ATM RF10.

Only 2 reviews on Discount Tire Direct, but I googled up some other reviews and these tires seem to be appreciated by folks who are running them. Price is very good, as well.
These are very good tires. I spoke with several individuals that are currently running this tire and they absolutely love it. They are pretty cheap compared to other tires also. I just had the Bridgestone Dueler REVO AT's which practically has the same tread pattern as the Hankook's and they were the best all terrain that I have used. I liked them a lot better then the BFG AT's that i have used on my last truck.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I hear a bunch of people raving about the Goodyear Silent Armors, that's what I plan on getting in the next month or so. They seem to rate high in just about every traction and road noise category and they do have a layer of Kevlar for extra protection. As far as tires go, if you are sure you are not going to get a lift, the max you can put on with the stock wheels and suspension and avoid any rubbing are these sizes: 245/70/17 if you are most concerned about height, or a 255/65/17 if width is what you are after. Go here http://www.bigcustomwheels.com/info_specs.jsp for a great calculator where you can compare two tires side by side with an image and all the specs you can get your head around. When inputting, just remember the stock size is a 245/65/17, the wheel size is a 17" x 7.5" and the offset is 43mm. Plug that in on the left and on the right side input the new tire size. It's very cool - it even tells you how much the speedo would be off too. Anyone interested in changing wheels or tires need this calculator!

P.S. - I wouldn't worry about price all that much. Even if you spend an extra $125 total for a good set, that is peanuts for a few years and 50,000. You will never regret having a good tire.

·
Banned
1,406 Posts
The Fortera tires are rated at 60,000. I have 28,000, with little tread. My Goodyear dealer offered me a set of Silent Armor's for 1/2 price (these are rated at 70 or 80,000, if my memory serves me correctly!). Thank you for the calculator. I will go with 255/65/17, OWL. Others on the forum have complained about the tread life of their Fortera's. Obviously, Goodyear is willing to correct the problem.:eek:rangehat:

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
I hear a bunch of people raving about the Goodyear Silent Armors, that's what I plan on getting in the next month or so. They seem to rate high in just about every traction and road noise category and they do have a layer of Kevlar for extra protection. As far as tires go, if you are sure you are not going to get a lift, the max you can put on with the stock wheels and suspension and avoid any rubbing are these sizes: 245/70/17 if you are most concerned about height, or a 255/65/17 if width is what you are after. Go here http://www.bigcustomwheels.com/info_specs.jsp for a great calculator where you can compare two tires side by side with an image and all the specs you can get your head around. When inputting, just remember the stock size is a 245/65/17, the wheel size is a 17" x 7.5" and the offset is 43mm. Plug that in on the left and on the right side input the new tire size. It's very cool - it even tells you how much the speedo would be off too. Anyone interested in changing wheels or tires need this calculator!

P.S. - I wouldn't worry about price all that much. Even if you spend an extra $125 total for a good set, that is peanuts for a few years and 50,000. You will never regret having a good tire.
I'm not sure that you have the offset correct for the stock 17x7.5 wheels. +43mm offset on a 7.5 inch wide wheel would have a back spacing of approx 5.94 and as far as im aware the stock back spacing is 6.5 inches.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
According to the tire calculatore you posted it looks like the stock offset is +57mm

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The Fortera tires are rated at 60,000. I have 28,000, with little tread. My Goodyear dealer offered me a set of Silent Armor's for 1/2 price (these are rated at 70 or 80,000, if my memory serves me correctly!). Thank you for the calculator. I will go with 255/65/17, OWL. Others on the forum have complained about the tread life of their Fortera's. Obviously, Goodyear is willing to correct the problem.:eek:rangehat:
Me too, thanks.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts