Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been reviewing this site on a daily basis. I am trying to make up my mind whether or not to get a Commander. I would like some input from current owners.
Reliability?
Gas Mileage.
Would you buy it again?
What else did you test drive?

I am hoping that Jeep has made its tweeks since its inception and the 08 should only improve on some things.

I am specifically looking at an 08 Limited 4x4 with either the 4.7 or the Hemi.
I plan to tow but only about 4.5k to 5k lbs.

I currently have an 06 Wrangler Unlimited so I am familiar with Jeep products and have access to a great Jeep service dept.

Wife wants a Volvo xc90....I could buy 2 Commanders for the price of the Volvo.

Thank you for your help.

·
Premium Member
2,265 Posts
axg0131 said:
I have been reviewing this site on a daily basis. I am trying to make up my mind whether or not to get a Commander. I would like some input from current owners.
Reliability?
Gas Mileage.
Would you buy it again?
What else did you test drive?

I am hoping that Jeep has made its tweeks since its inception and the 08 should only improve on some things.

I am specifically looking at an 08 Limited 4x4 with either the 4.7 or the Hemi.
I plan to tow but only about 4.5k to 5k lbs.

I currently have an 06 Wrangler Unlimited so I am familiar with Jeep products and have access to a great Jeep service dept.

Wife wants a Volvo xc90....I could buy 2 Commanders for the price of the Volvo.

Thank you for your help.
Reliability - seems to be a hit or miss experience - I have had no mechanical trouble with mine. Others have different stories.

Gas mileage - originally I got 15 city / 17+ highway; after a lift and moving to GA I get about 10-12.

Would I buy it again - yes. Without question - it is perfect for what I got it for and use it for and I LOVE driving it.

Other test drives - Toyota FJ, Ford Expedition, Dodge Durango

·
Registered
379 Posts
I have only 5k on my 2006 with the hemi. My mileage ranges 15-17 on the highway and about 14 city. I do not drive all that lightly. I took out explorer and several quad cab pick ups and have been in the durango. I love the jeep and would buy it again. It fits me well for comfort and what I wanted. Something I rarely take off road but have the confidence it can go anywhere if need be. It's quiet, has all the creature needs and goes anywhere. Mileage is my only concern but expected with the Hemi, what a blast to drive. like CanadianJeepYJ its the best I have owned

·
Registered
588 Posts
I only have 6,000 miles on my 2007 Overland which comes standard with nearly every option including the Hemi engine. 4,000 miles was one long road trip from S. Fla to N.M. and back. I have had absolutely no problems with my Commander so far. The gas mileage is pretty much the same as others 15-17 on the highway 12-14 around town. I have owned Cadillacs and other luxury cars and frankly NOTHING I have ever driven has been more comfortable for long trips and more stable in inclement weather. I feel very safe in my Commander in even the worst thunderstorm. The Hemi engine is a JOY to run, very smooth and powerful. I just wish I had some of the new stuff that will be in the 2008 models such as anti sway control and 110 volt outlet. However, I personally think the interior of my 2007 is better looking then that of the 2,008. I have the Red Rock Chrystal paint which has received many compliments, waxes up really nice too. john

·
Registered
87 Posts
We have about 18-19K on our 5.7 limited. We have had zero issues with ours, so in our case the reliability is 100%. I wish I could tell you the mileage but we just don't keep tabs on it. I do know that last week we towed a ski boat over a pretty decent mountain pass, the jeep and boat were loaded up pretty well, and we still averaged right around 15. It was all highway.
I'm guessing under normal load, we're in the 15 & 19 range.

We would absolutely buy one again. This vehicle is perfect for our family. VES for the kids. A 3rd row if we need it for extra kidlings. Good power out of the 5.7. I like that my family is raised up when driving around. And the looks are striking.

We test drove many mid and full sized SUVs. Expeditions, Tahoes, Escalades, Q45s, Mountaineers, 4Runners etc.

·
Registered
139 Posts
23.2K miles on hemi, no problem except whistling windshield that I fixed myself. Apart from that have modified CAI and exhaust and still no problems. Modification was at 9K...So for 9K I had a quiet hemi without any issues.

·
Registered
717 Posts
15K on my early build (10/05) 2006 with the 3.7...other than a kinked sunroof tube, a computer flash for the early ESP engagement, and a passenger side window regulator, it's been great to drive......I'd buy another one in a heartbeat

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What is strange is I saw a few 08's on the lot and they did have all the changes for 08 but the steering wheel and shifter were the same as the 06 and 07. I had to double check the VIN to be sure they were 08's.
Anybody else see the same? I am wondering if the photos posted here were just renderings or the real thing?
Thanks for all the input. I have read many negative reviews and wanted to get some real input from owners.

·
Registered
24 Posts
We have a new Hemi - 13.5 mpg, but it's pretty hilly around here.

As far as reliabilitt goes, don't the new ones have a lifetime warranty? It'd still suck to break down, but not as bad as if you didn;t have the warranty.

·
Registered
512 Posts
We have an '07 Sport with the 3.7. Fuel mileage seems to be the same no matter what eng you get.(even my dlr told me that) but finances dictated the V6.2nd jeep we have owned, 1st was a 05 Liberty Rocky Mountain and we love the jeep product.(I have Mopar in my blood).As far as dependability we just hit 3k on the odometer so probaely too early to tell, but no rattles or problems so far, our Liberty had 14k when we traded it in, but no problems there either.Remember, even lexus dealers have a car on every lift in their service dept and they are not all there for oil changes!We feel VERY safe in our Commander and love the styling, I would buy one again.:)

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Mine shut off twice with about 7500 miles on it. I now have 34000 on it and had no more problems. May have been caused by bumping the key?

·
Registered
577 Posts
I LOVE the commander. Would DEFINITELY buy it again (provided incentives are in play) MPG is averaging around 13 - 13.5, (with Hemi, 4x4) but I have performance mods, a lift, and larger tires. And I drive mostly over hilly terrain, and ain't afraid to use the right foot :D The mileage is acceptable to me when I take into consideration the all-around capability of the vehicle, and how much I really enjoy driving it.
My only complaint is a crappy service department that I have been dealing with, but I will now be going to a new dealer. This does not reflect on the XK, just on one particular lousy dealer.
I say buy one, and happy trails!
- Hemi

·
Premium Member
2,265 Posts
axg0131 said:
How many miles do you have on your Commander?
I have 23k right now.

·
Premium Member
12,579 Posts
I have 1,900 miles on my 2006 5.7 XK, I average 13 MPG but still cannot seem to keep my foot off the floor. Would I buy it again? You bet! most fun I have had in years!

·
Registered
134 Posts
I have just over 17k on my XK and I have no complaints. I use it mostly for family vacations and get the same mileage reported here. 18+ on highway trips for vacation, but 15-17 around town. I'm pretty easy on the pedal unless I need to pull out fast or get around someone, so ymmv. I have flat-towed my YJ with it and was VERY impressed. The stopping power of the XK is awesome unloaded and loaded. I have a Yakima LoadWarrior rack that is frequently piled with stuff for vacations, and I recommend one if you plan on taking a lot of baggage and passengers. Our son loves the rear AC and the third row is now his favorite place to sit! I really like the different styling over most of the sport-utes out there now.
:D

·
Registered
476 Posts
Despite several initial issues - including the tranny going out at about 850 miles :mad: I love this vehicle. I have 38K miles on and doing great now :D

I will be "upgrading" to a 2009 in 2009 - as this may be the last year they are made.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've only got about 1,500 miles on the XK, but I'm Loving It! It's a smooth ride, comfy and roomy and though the gas isn't 30 mpg's - it's an SUV that's just what you get. I'm a total Jeep Gal. I traded in my 02' Liberty (that had 85,000 miles on it) for this one. Jeep makes great vehicles and their built for driving. You should buy one!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts