Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jeep Commander 3rd Brakelight - bulb replacement

Does anyone out there know how to replace the bulb for the brake light in the middle of the back upper window??:icon_confused:

·
2,248 Posts
It is easy, You use a torx screwdriver and take out the two screws and the housing comes right off. I will look for the picture and post it in a minute.

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts
I think I remember reading somewhere that the unit is sealed and the whole unit has to be replaced.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Anyone had to replace the brake light on the lift gate? I noticed as the wife was driving up to a stop this morning the this light is not working. I had to take her KK in for a oil change non jeep dealer, and stopped at two auto parts stores on the way home and niether had a listing, then I pulled up behind an XK at traffic light an noticed the it is an LED.

I had no messages as to burned out bulbs. 06 with NAv system. I had to replace lower bk light last night, it was a topic of another post, and now the high light. Is it possible that while repairing my wiring harness(also another post) that they could have done something to cause both lights to go?

Has anyone had a problem with this light?

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts
The whole unit has to be replaced. You can not just replace the bulbs.

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
I still don't understand why I did not receive any message telling me bulbs were out.
Very few vehicles have a message light for a burned out bulb. You purchased a Jeep not a Mercedes.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Very few vehicles have a message light for a burned out bulb. You purchased a Jeep not a Mercedes.
Both my other jeeps were smart enought to tell me if a bulb was out. I did read the OM and you are right, no message. I guess my local LEO will inform me.

I thought I was ok because when the wife came home, the third light was working. Checked is about 2 hours later and it was not working. If I beat it, remember, Old Guy, it will come on then goes off, my guess is a bad board.
I will keep playing.

·
Registered
480 Posts
There are two torx screws to remove and the assembly comes off. Take the assembly off and see if the wiring harness is loose- there is a small plastic piece (red if I remember correctly) that slides to lock the wiring harness on. I believe the third light is a board of leds or small bulbs hence it is non serviceable but replaceable.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
There are two torx screws to remove and the assembly comes off. Take the assembly off and see if the wiring harness is loose- there is a small plastic piece (red if I remember correctly) that slides to lock the wiring harness on. I believe the third light is a board of leds or small bulbs hence it is non serviceable but replaceable.
I well take it out tomorrow.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Just found out that my 3rd brake light went out...Searched online for a replacement....no luck!

Anyone know of an aftermarket company that carries this light?

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
Threads Merged

·
Registered
117 Posts
A49er I love how you noted "you purchased a Jeep not a Mercedes." I remember in the old Grand Cherokee's they have a data center with a diagram of the Jeep and it noted digitally that you are low on water/oil - also indicates of burnt out or non functioning bulbs. Kinda odd that the CMDR's don't have something similiar dont you agree?

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
You would think that a high dollar luxury vehicle would have some more of those features, butthen they would want us to pay even more for them.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I took the light off of the rear lift gate, checked the connection and it seems good......I want to check for voltage before I commit to the light itself being bad. There is a two pin connector with a small gauge white and black wire attached to it.
Does anyone know the proper voltage that this light should see...I assume DC and I assume 12volts and I assume the "black" as Negative but nothing surprises me anymore.....Thanks

(I like the way the rear washer nozzle is routed through this light assembly...I was always taught never mix water with electricity!)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts