Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was coming home from work at around 4:00 a.m. friday morning. I'm a diabetic, and somehow unbeknownst to me by blood sugar fell to 32. i passed out behind the wheel, flipped my commander, and totalled it out. The front and side airbags both deployed. I was air lifted to the hospital, and had a full cat scan, and ended up walking away with a severed upper lip. I was thrown into the back seat, and was laying on the rear skylights when they got to me, still passed out. I have an srt-4, and was told had i been in that car, I would have been dead. As soon as the insurance takes care of the claim, i'm going to get another one. It was about 2 weeks old with just 1000 miles on it. Thanks jeep, you without a doubt, saved my life...:D

·
Registered
21 Posts
Glad u got away alright.....wow! I have a good friend who's diabetic and I have been through several of his "episodes"; scary and even more in a car as you experienced.

BTW, not to sound tacky but do you have photos of the Commander afterwards to post.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ADD-Boy said:
Glad u got away alright.....wow! I have a good friend who's diabetic and I have been through several of his "episodes"; scary and even more in a car as you experienced.

BTW, not to sound tacky but do you have photos of the Commander afterwards to post.
Yeah, i'll try and get some posted up tommorow, he damn thing is smashed , but inside it held together.

·
Registered
200 Posts
While I am diabetic, I am not insulin dependent, and therefore never seem to go much below 100. However, I am relieved both that you are all right and that I can count on my Commander as you did if ever I need it in similar circumstances.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It was weird, the last thing I remember was stoping by quicktrip to get some gas at about 3:15 in the morning. Then the next thing I know I was wrestling on the ground with cops and firefighters. They thought I was drunk, luckily the emt that had just shown up was the brother of my wife's best friend. Imagine his thoughts when he saw me lying there

·
Registered
200 Posts
Yep - luck thing! Did you have any Medic Alert or other identification to tell them that you are diabetic? I haven't bothered since I'm not (yet?) subject to lows. I was also wondering - were you seat belted in? How'd you wind up in the back?

You should send your story to DC - maybe you'll replace those silly underwater commercials. I get sick of people mocking me and asking if I've gone underwater yet. :)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
JoeTampa said:
Yep - luck thing! Did you have any Medic Alert or other identification to tell them that you are diabetic? I haven't bothered since I'm not (yet?) subject to lows. I was also wondering - were you seat belted in? How'd you wind up in the back?

You should send your story to DC - maybe you'll replace those silly underwater commercials. I get sick of people mocking me and asking if I've gone underwater yet. :)
I didn't have a medic alert bracelet, nor did I have my seatbelt on st that time. I found out tonight that I was still in the front seat, with the air bag in my face.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Be cautious about admitting that you were not wearing a seatbelt. In most places that warrants a ticket/fine and may also cause an increase in your insurance rate.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
:42: old post

·
Banned
1,397 Posts
Ahmed,

Why are you bringing back this old thread? I thought someone had something to add to it.... I remember reading it back when it was posted and thinking that we are all safer in midsized SUVs than smaller cars. Safety is more than just size/weight, but all else equal, I'd rather take my chances with some bulk around me;)

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Ahmed,

Why are you bringing back this old thread? I thought someone had something to add to it.... I remember reading it back when it was posted and thinking that we are all safer in midsized SUVs than smaller cars. Safety is more than just size/weight, but all else equal, I'd rather take my chances with some bulk around me;)
you are one of few who have been in this forum since long time, but most of the current active members didn't read it. so I just thought it might be informative.

·
Registered
228 Posts
my first time reading it. Good to know the XK can handle a roll-over.

·
Premium Member
2,259 Posts
Too bad there is no "black box" in the Commander, I'd like to see exactly what the speed and G-forces were at the time of rolling...

·
Premium Member
12,558 Posts
Too bad there is no "black box" in the Commander
There is a black box on all American made autos, Police and insurance company's use them during investigations.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I wouldn't forget that God had a hand in your life too if even through the designer. God bless and be well soon.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts