Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about trading my 2005 F350 for a 2008 3.7l Commander.. Just have a couple questions. Is that enough power for such a heavy vehicle? Pro's and Con's versus the 4.7? Will be doing some light towing and mountain driving.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Having both the 3.7 and 5.7 in my family. ( me personally the 5.7.) i believe the 3.7 does surprisingly well for the vehicle it is told to push. Our 3.7 has 105k on it, has had no problems and currently is getting 19.3 mpg mixed driving. It is a 2wd sport with a k&n thats it. Towing with it would be interesting but filling it with family and luggage is not a problem. again, this is at sea level, not mountains with a trailer. I have no experience with the 4.7 but the 5.7 is a pig, I am getting 14.3 mpg city highway, milking the highway to keep it in 4 cylinder mode. Coming from an f350.,.. you will miss the performance by getting the 3.7. Being in the mountains, towing and most likely getting a 4wd model which adds weight to the vehicle, i would swallow the price difference for the convenience of the 4.7/5.7.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I love my 3.7, but the major downfall is the QT-I 4wheel drive system that is only all time 4wheel high, with no 4low. If I were you, I'd just hold off for a 4.7/5.7. If you can, get one with QD-II (electronic lockers front/rear).

Let us know how it goes!

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
If you plan on towing id personally look for a 4.7 or 5.7 liter XK. The only thing I'd ever tow with a 3.7 is a small 4 wheeler trailer or something similar.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I love my 3.7, but the major downfall is the QT-I 4wheel drive system that is only all time 4wheel high, with no 4low. If I were you, I'd just hold off for a 4.7/5.7. If you can, get one with QD-II (electronic lockers front/rear).

Let us know how it goes!
Here in the Houston area, and hardly ever the outdoorsy type, we settled for the 2wd HEMI Limited. Wifey liked the way it looked. Figured we didn't need the 4WD feature since we do like 98% highway/city driving... the '2%' mainly for when traffic occurs, we'll gallop onto the feeder, but that's it.

HEMI does great, had a loaner w/ the 3.7L and it'll pull, but don't expect to load it up and all. Not to sound mean, but for the XK chassis and weight, I sorta think the 3.7L is working way too hard.

·
Super Moderator
15,105 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have had two 3.7. A brand new one in 06 when it came out and bought my send one an 07 in 2011. Mainly city and about 20% highway, for my family its plenty of go when being a commuter and grocery getter.

I would prolly follow the fellas advise above and go for the bigger two motors if you plan on doing towing ect.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I have a 2006 with the 3.7L, 4x4. I tow a couple boats with it on a regular basis, sometimes over 150 miles. The smaller boat with trailer weighs around 1100 lbs. Pulls well, hardly notice it's there, no issues. The other boat with trailer weighs about 2100 lbs. Also pulls well, but I can feel it some, but no real issues. Both reduce the gas milage about the same amount. I have pulled an U-Haul trailer that weighed about 3400 lbs. for 1300 miles. That one I could definately feel it and the Jeep used more gas than pulling the boats, but I had no problem pulling it. That said, if I did it over again I would prefer the 4.7L or the 5.7L.

John

1 - 9 of 9 Posts