Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 Jeep Commander with the 3.7L V6, With about 5,500 miles on it. I installed a new K&N Air Filter and was going to clean the throttle body, For the life of me I can't figure out how the black throttle body plastic box cover comes off. I also notice that the upper sway bar goes right across the top of the throttle body cover as well. Does anyone know how to get the sucker off! I am going to do the relearning procedure that was mentioned on the forum as well. Any help in this dept. would be Highly appreciated!!!!! Thanks..........

·
Registered
527 Posts
starbuck said:
I have a 2006 Jeep Commander with the 3.7L V6, With about 5,500 miles on it. I installed a new K&N Air Filter and was going to clean the throttle body, For the life of me I can't figure out how the black throttle body plastic box cover comes off. I also notice that the upper sway bar goes right across the top of the throttle body cover as well. Does anyone know how to get the sucker off! I am going to do the relearning procedure that was mentioned on the forum as well. Any help in this dept. would be Highly appreciated!!!!! Thanks..........
Hey there, here are my thoughts:

1. No need to clean your throttle body, and if you do, take it completely off the vehicle, spray it out, carefully NOT getting teh electrical parts wet, and let it dry before hookiung it back up. In the old days when you could run a vehicle and spray cleaner, it would be drawn into engin and burn off, but when you have to spray the cleaner with the vehicle off, all you do is let the cleaner puddle in the intake, or maybe even run into a cyl. that has the intake valve open and wash the oil off the sides of the cyl. wall. Just a bad idea all around and unnecessary, especially if you have been running a paper filter. After time running the K&N, you will need to, as it lets more particulate matter in.

2. The 'cover' if I am following you is the resonator/silencer box that mounts in front of the throttle body? It is a simple 2-3 bolts (where the box sits on teh intake manifold), and the clamp that holds it to the airbox hose, and throttle body, pretty easy. Never popped the hood on a 3.7, but I assume it is the same as the 4.7.

3. The upper bar is not a sway bar, but a strut tower brace.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for getting back to me, as for cleaning I meet to say using a throttle body spray cleaner that you spray into it while the engine is running. Thanks again for clearing up my mistake (upper sway bar) being a strut tower brace, duh on my part. I didn't see any bolts holding the box down, however they might be buried under it somewhere, I will have a closer look see and see what I can find. Thanks again for the info.......

To date I have tired erasing the memory and that has worked out like a champ!!! better shifting from the transmission, and adding a K&N air filter.
If all goes well like I think it will I will start on the exhust system to make the beast breath better..........

1 - 4 of 4 Posts